Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2021, 11:24 PM

8 posts, read 8,765 times

Advertisements

Hello! We are a lesbian couple with a daughter relocating to Toledo to help care for elderly parents. We plan to keep our home in a different state and rent it out in case we aren’t happy in Toledo following the parents deaths. My partner’s parents live near Wildwood Park. For us, we want a neighborhood that is safe, has good schools, but also isn’t completely cookie cutter new build. Looking at Ottawa Hills and Sylvania at the moment. I am curious about the areas surrounding Toledo where we would have a bit more space and rural environment. If the schools aren’t great we would consider sending our daughter to the Maumee Valley Country Day school.

What areas would anyone recommend?

I grew up in rural Pennsylvania so I know that usually the farther you go outside the city, the more conservative. We are ok with that to an extent. Ideally we would prefer a more liberal, artsy town. Does that exist near Toledo?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2021, 12:15 AM

577 posts, read 560,509 times
You didn't mention Perrysburg. I checked schooldigger.com, crimegrade.org, bestneighborhood.org, and niche.com and Perrysburg seems to be the shining star in this area.

I haven't been there but if you read the comments in niche.com, it does sound like while it's a bit conservative and upscale, it's also an extremely nice area that is loved by the people living there.

It would be tempting to look for something more rural that is just outside Perrysburg, to avoid going to Stepford while on other hand enjoying the pride and sense of community that is apparently through the roof in this area.

Old 08-18-2021, 08:28 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
What sort of budget? How much space is "a bit more space"? Are you talking some breathing room between homes, or acreage?

How close do you want to be to your partner's parents? The difference between a 5-10 minute drive and a 30 minute drive is more than it sounds like on paper.

Bowling Green might be an option if you don't mind the college town vibe, but it's kind of far from her parents.

Old 08-18-2021, 08:28 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,859,085 times
Liberally, artsy town

The best examples I can think of are the Old West End, an inner-city neighborhood adjacent to downtown. It's home to the renowned Toledo Museum of Art, Glass Pavilion, Toledo Symphony, and several other arts institutions. It's very LGBTQ friendly. You would need to have a high tolerance for urban environments to live here though as the OWE is surrounded by some high-poverty/high-crime areas and there is spillover crime on occasion. You would also likely need to send your daughter to a private school.

The other best example is Bowling Green, a college town about 30 min south of Toledo. I'm not sure how such a place would fit your needs though.

Otherwise, Ottawa Hills and Sylvania are fine areas with good public schools. Ottawa Hills is small, almost entirely residential, and has an old-money feel in many parts of the neighborhood. Sylvania/Sylvania Township is much larger and considered a pretty standard suburban area with a little more racial/socio-economic diversity.

Perrysburg is the "shining star" suburb of the area and the fastest-growing community in the metro. It features some quaint older areas near its downtown but mostly consists of newish subdivisions in surrounding areas.

Old 08-19-2021, 07:31 PM

555 posts, read 891,774 times
Old Orchard, the Toledo neighborhood adjoining Ottawa Hills, has some lovely early to mid-twentieth-century homes and lower property taxes than OH. Toledo city schools, though.

Old 09-23-2021, 04:13 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
You want to live in THE OLD WEST END. Beautiful old original mansions and the population is mostly LBGTQ and great.

Old 09-24-2021, 09:45 PM

8 posts, read 8,765 times
Thank you, all. We appreciate it.

Old 09-30-2021, 08:47 PM

148 posts, read 459,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olliebronco View Post
Thank you, all. We appreciate it.
All good suggestions. In my experience living in both places, Bowling Green has many more lesbian couples; Old West End has many more gay men. Bowling Green to Wildwood area is probably 25 minutes by car; OWE is maybe 8-10. The Toledo School for the Arts, the resident LGBTQ+ friendly school in the region, is a few blocks from the Old West End. OWE is definitely urban, though - big old houses, not great shopping nearby, persistent petty thefts, and recently a significant amount of audible gunfire from surrounding neighborhoods.

Perrysburg schools have had problems with diversity and bullying of students of color; I don't know any LGBTQ folks who live there, unless they are Republicans, for what it's worth. Ottawa Hills has many enormous houses with high property taxes, and the school district is very small and a little too achievement-oriented for my taste -- it's regularly one of the "best" schools in the state, but from a very small, wealthy slice of the population.

Sylvania is a pretty good spot in that immediate area - there are rural areas just outside of town, and the school district is pretty progressive. If you're looking for some land, near Wildwood and good schools, Sylvania might be the best choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo