Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 11:53 PM

2 posts, read 22,815 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a mother of 3 boys. My husband recently received a good job offer from Perrysburg, OH. We live in Portland, OR area now. I am interested in a place with good schools, healthy ecology, organic food availability, and low crime rate. Does Perrysburg meet my requirements?

If anyone has recently moved from Oregon to Ohio, I would love if you share your experience.

Sincerely,

3xmom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 11:35 AM

154 posts, read 605,836 times
Yes on most. Don't know about organic food. Perrysburg is one of the nicer areas.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:45 PM

143 posts, read 872,895 times
Thats a big move.. I belive all the requirements are met, just not sure about the organic food thing..Do they sell it in stores..

Old 01-02-2007, 04:44 PM

976 posts, read 3,859,926 times
Perrysburg is a very nice community just outside of Toledo. I have a friend from Michigan who moved his family from Lansing to this suburb. While visiting i was amazed by how diverse it was. Its a great little town, and they were very satisfied with the school systems. It was a very nice, clean, and safe suburb. There were a couple malls located near the area too. It was about a 30 minute drive to downtown Toledo.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:29 PM

123 posts, read 560,534 times
Perrysburg is definitely one of the nicer areas in Toledo. Its a smaller community, with a brand new shopping center, Levis Commons, plus another one going up only a couple miles away in Waterville.

Great place to raise kids if you ask me, good brand new schools, and low crime rate. Plenty of kid activities, but this is a small NW Ohio city, so any major activities with the exception of Cedar Point (1 hour drive) are tough. If you like driving and traveling to other cities for activities such as Detroit or Cleveland, or further, then ok. Not sure where you would get the organic foods. In my very recent 4 year stint living there I can't remember any stores that sold them specifically, but there are many huge chain stores here so one may carry what you are looking for. One definite thing about the Toledo area is people like to shop, eat, and go to the bar. Plenty of antiques, restaurants, and shops. Not much culture here.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:05 AM

2 posts, read 22,815 times
Thanks to everyone for the replies. It looks to me that Perrysburg is worth checking out. As for organic food, one need to look for it to notice it. In Oregon, even Wal Mart has organic food.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 17,391 times
Default Organic

The local Meijer, located in Rossford, which is basically next to Perrysburg carries organic foods.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:52 PM

34 posts, read 189,901 times
My in-laws live in Perrysburg and I went to college in Bowling Green, which is right next door. I love Perrysburg. It's a great little town to live in. I tutored in a local middle school and enjoyed it a lot. The kids seemed very happy, healthy, and inquisitive. The town is very cute, and as someone mentioned, they are adding things such as a new shopping center and condos. Another place you may want to look into is Maumee. It is another town very close to Perrysburg, and they are very similar.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:39 PM

11 posts, read 57,172 times
I've lived in the Toledo area for most of my life. It is a nice quiet place to live (Bowling Green might be an exception), but there is very little to do around here. If you're looking for a place that gives you a variety of activities to do, then this is not the place. Just a heads up!i

I recently heard that Maumee OH is considered one of the best places to live in the country...just across the river from Perrysburg.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:24 PM

3 posts, read 28,998 times
We moved to Columbus, OH, then here from Redondo Beach, CA. You will find that there are very good things (cost of living, raising children, transportation is convenient and NO traffic anywhere, seasons but not extreme, schools, wide variety of housing, close to cities--Toledo 15 minutes, Detroit and Ann Arbor 1 hour, Columbus and Cleveland 2 hours, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh and Chicago 3.5-4.5 hours, price of gasoline, low crime rate, etc.) and some not so good (pollution, Ohioans don't think about the environment or organics like they do in the West or Michigan--it just isn't an issue, not very diverse community, water and electric rates are high, Toledo's pace is slow, the economy is nothing like the rest of the country's right now, etc.).

Midwesterners are friendly, tend to be conservative, a little parochial. It is a perfect place to raise children. There are family farms and specialty organics/health food stores, but don't expect Whole Foods here. It is flat enough that you could probably fly a plane 100 feet off the ground for 75 miles in any direction without a ripple. The Great Lakes are that, but Erie is the least impressive of them. Perrysburg is a historic city trying to balance a small historic downtown with suburban sprawl and a new lifestyle center. There are two "rings" delineating this--within the Boundaries (streets on three sides named Boundary preceded by E, W, or S--the fourth side is the river) and within the freeways. Housing ranges from $1 million to $125,000. To meet people, simply join the YMCA or the Parents Association (for elementary kids), JHPA (junior high children) or PHS (parents helping students at the high school). In the midwest, life revolves around sports. Everyone does soccer, but they watch football and basketball.

You would really like it for the most part. It is close enough to do "city" stuff in Detroit or Ann Arbor. We are moving soon and I will truly be sad to leave here. It is my favorite place to live and I have lived in the S Pacific, Michigan, California, elsewhere in Ohio.

Good luck to you.

Forgot to say that $300,000 would buy you a 4-5 bedroom, 2-3 bath, 2500-3000 square foot home that is 5-15 years old and within 3 miles of downtown Perrysburg. For that size home you pay more in the historic district or in the prestigious subdivisions, but housing here is an amazing value compared with the West Coast.

Last edited by Yac; 01-30-2007 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: merged
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo