Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2008, 06:37 AM

12 posts, read 44,654 times

Advertisements

Hi there. My husband just accepted a job in the Toledo area. We recently visited the area and like the look/feel of Stone Oak in Holland Ohio. What are the schools like? My children range in age from kindergarten to 3rd grade. (BTW is Kindergarten 1/2 day or full day?) I've been researching on SchoolMatters and the Ohio Dept of Ed. I see that Crissey Elementary is rated "Excellent" by the ODE and the Middle School is "Effective". We certainly plan to visit the schools but would appreciate any feedback from any parents whose children attend the school. We also like Ottawa Hills, which I understand the schools there are above par. Although we really like that area, the houses we saw require maintenance that we will be unable to keep up with. I've been reading that Anthony Wayne & Sylvania have great schools - just have not seen the "right" house for our family yet. Any suggestions for subdivisions in those areas? THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 04:47 PM

422 posts, read 758,808 times
Springfield schools are average to below average. Most of the people in that Stone Oak subdivision send their kids to private schools, whereas a similar subdivision in Sylvania or Perrysburg would see most kids going to public schools. Then again your children are small, so maybe school doesn't matter that much.

The best school districts in the Toledo area are Ottawa Hills, Sylvania, and Perrysburg. Most educated professionals in town make it a point to live in these areas, and the ones that don't send their children to private schools.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 5,934 times
Default Springfield Schools are NOT average

Hi there!
I understand how difficult it is to move - Springfield in Holland, OH is our 3rd district in 6 years. We moved from the eastern section of Ohio in 2005. I researched all the schools in the area and there are a great many! Let me say that I am quite satisfied and happy with the education elements in the Springfield district. There are many reasons, but I'll list just a few: the academics are rigorous - AP, Honors classes, gifted programs are all offered at all different grade levels. The staff is dedicated - from the superintendent and down. Honestly, we come from two other districts that were rated "excellent" and the staff in this district arejust as committed, if not more so, to the students. This is the most fiscally responsible district I have ever encountered. There are several other districts locally that are struggling with major money issues - we may not have the fanciest facilities (however, we are updating and upgrading as a levy renewal was passed last year), but our school leaders are continually looking for ways to save money, develop new programs, etc. We offer Chinese - this year it will also be offered at the middle school! There are many wonderful things about this district - unfortunately, the community is perceived as not as "nice" as Perrysburg & Sylvania which makes some folks regard our schools as less than favorable. Come tour the schools and talk to the staff and parents. I guarantee you won't be disappointed!

Old 07-20-2008, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 5,785 times
Default Springfield Schools are exceptional!

Hi! I wanted to give you some information (real facts that can be backed up) about Crissey Elementary School. This school is absolutely one of the best schools in the Toledo area. One step inside the building and you will see why so many people love this school. The staff is extremly dedicated starting with the principal and down to the custodians. If I would recommend any school around, Crissey would be the one. Yes, they are rated "Excellent" by the state of Ohio but, there is so much more. They have won numerous awards for their outstanding work on character education. As a matter of fact, they recently have been recognized as a Hall of Fame school in the state of Ohio. No other school around here can say that. Crissey is also being recognized in Washington this October for truly standing out as a top school in several areas.
I know several people who live in the Stone Oak subdivision and all I hear is positive reactions about Crissey and how they feel blessed to have such a fantastic public school just minutes away. Stone Oak is a wonderful place to raise your children. It is by far one of the nicest places in the Toledo area. It is not true that children in Stone Oak usually only attend private schools. I would suggest asking neighbors. Crissey Elementary has far proved to be an excellent place to send children. In addition, Springfield schools offer, at no additional charge, full day Kindergarten which is unlike Sylvania, Perrysburg, or even Anthony Wayne schools. I would highly recommed visiting Crissey Elementary and speaking with other parents whose children currently or have attended Crissey. I guarentee you and your family will love Crissey!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo