Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 03:01 AM

374 posts, read 1,124,443 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have never been to Toledo in my life, but I am very seriously considering relocating to the area for law school. I plan on visiting the Toledo area before making a decision about moving, and I would like to get some information about living arrangements, so I can make the most efficient use of my time while in the area.

I like how one person earlier answered your questions, but I wanna give you my thoughts on Toledo being this is my hometown and I know every single section of this city and lived in almost every single section of this city plus living in areas such as Virginia, Atlanta, Chicago, & Los Angeles as well as spending time in Washington DC, New York, and Orlando, I think I can better help you with comparing it to other areas. As far as Toledo I've lived in the good and the bad, thats Old Orchard, Bancroft Hills, Dorr & Upton, and spent considerable time on the East Side, North Side and South Side.

- LaSalle Apartments (location sounds nice, but is this building clean/safe?) Dont even think about it, if people breaking into your car is a concern don't do it. My sisters car got broken into down the street especially since she had out of state plates. Also plenty have been robbed at gunpoint around this area.

- Lake of the Woods Apartments (Nice price, buildings look nice) I really dont go on this side of town, but that is not due to crime, its just too damn far, but as far as safety this is probably your best bet. However, its not that far from campus and traffic is not a problem in Toledo unless theres construction. Trust me, I lived in Atlanta, LA, and Chicago, traffic is definitely not a problem. Dont worry too much about cost neither, apartments good or bad are not that expensive especially compared to larger cities. Most Midwestern Industrial cities period are extremely cheap.

- Wood Ridge Apartments (spacious, washer/dryer in unit, more expensive than other options) On the outskirts of town, but not far from campus, not too much to do over there, its rather country, alot of trees.

- Cloisters (look very nice, reasonably priced) Others say stay away, I say check it out. Just be extra causious.

- Hunter's Ridge Apartments (VERY CHEAP, recently remodeled, look very nice but I have read many negative things about the area and the complex) There was a recent fire there that left alot of people homeless, plus theres been an increase in crime in that part of town, not in the complex, but not too far from the complex is not the best, I used to stay in Elmdale Projects, thats not far...

I own a vehicle and will have one in Toledo, but I would prefer something that is located within a reasonable driving distance of UT.

Again if your worried about traffic than Toledo is not a problem. Not too many people even take the expressway to get around town like in other cities. The Old Orchard area is good, and it is on the other side of campus, but across from campus is definitely not good. A person working at a gas station on that side of campus was recently murdered during a robbery and now police are patroling that area alot more than before, plus thats also an area known for gang activity I should know I personally knew gang members that live over there. Lake of the Woods is probably your best bet

I would like to a find a place that is close to restaurants, bar/grill, tavern, etc. That is why LaSalle is appealing, because it is downtown. I am in my late 20s, so proximity to college bars and nightclubs isn't necessary, but it would be nice to be within walking distance, or a short drive, of a restaurant, bar, etc. so I can grab a beer/bite to eat on a Friday night without driving across town.

Toledo is not Austion, TX or Orlando, FL... Although we are seeing an increase in entertainment venues, Downtown has absolutely nothing but a ballpark and a future sports arena. Some of the night life that did exist downtown is now gone in order to make way for the new arena. Most of downtown is abandoned and alot of people compare Toledo's blight to a smaller version of Detroit which is 45 minutes to the North. If your looking for entertainment and bars, all points west of campus should be considered.

Safety is another concern. I own a new vehicle and I do not want to live in a neighborhood where it will be broken into or stolen if I leave it parked on the street. I am sure Toledo has its fair share of rough areas, like any other city.

I'm going to be truthful and honest with you. In 2006 Toledo was considered one of the top 50 most dangerous cities in the US, so it is far worst than just any other city, however after living in places like South Chicago, and South Central LA, Toledo's is not as dangerous as those places, but Ive seen similar problems in Toledo, just not as much. When comparing Toledo to those areas, I do see way more police in Toledo's bad parts of town then those cities and Toledo is not even as big. The only thing those cities have that Toledo doesn't in the bad parts of town are police cameras, which may come here if we get the money...

Overall, Toledo has its fair share of problems, but not like other cities like Detroit or Cleveland which are in driving distance. Toledo's murder rate is far less than any other city its size again probably due to the amount of policing, but due to some issues goin on around here that may change..... Another thing people make Toledo either be extremely safe or extremely rough. Toledo has both, extremely safe areas to the west of campus and extremely rough to the east of campus. Again I lived in South Chicago and parts of Toledo I lived in was very similar in crime and blight. Another note that might interest you is Toledo is rated dead last for best places for men and one of the worst cities for job growth, however Toledo has been recenly rated one of the most business friendly cities in the country and one of the most livable cities in North America (I dont agree, but hey). Toledo is also getting ready to see a major change, but the question is will it be for the good or for the bad. Holla at me if you need sum more info....lastonestanding - aka - your ghetto tour guide thru America....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 01:05 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,943,969 times
Lastonestanding is totally accurate in his descriptions of the areas. I personally would not feel too safe living in Downtown, North Toledo or most of East Toledo, stick with South, West, Sylvania, Maumee or Perrysburg. There are also a lot of real nice parks if you like rollerblading/bike riding and more shopping than you have ever seen. My son went to UT and if you're into the party thing there seemed to be enough of that in Toledo too. Good luck!

Old 06-08-2009, 01:14 PM

7 posts, read 28,901 times
There's some good apartments on Garden Road in Valley Stream
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo