Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 09:49 PM

914 posts, read 1,982,701 times

Advertisements

I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are about the drive to recall Carty from the office of mayor and the larger Take Back Toledo campaign.

In your opinion, is this a positive development or a nuisance? Will it change anything about the city/region?

I have a strong feeling that there will be plenty of petition-signers for the ballot recall election to take place, and if it does reach the ballot I don't think Carty has a chance at winning. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if he resigned prior to any special election just to save face. I don't know how much change it will bring in the short-term, but hopefully it will be a positive motivator for fiscal discipline and smaller egos for the field of mayoral candidates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 06:32 PM

652 posts, read 2,711,054 times
I find it to be a nuisance - there are so many problems in Toledo and NW Ohio/SE Mich and political uncertainty will not solve them. While he may not be the best mayor, I certainly don't think that he caused these problems. We need to let the next mayoral election make this decision and quit wasting time on squabbles like this.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:09 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
I have never understood the timing of this whole thing. I mean, the guy has less than a year left in office (assuming that he would have a snowball's chance in h*ll of ever getting reelected), so why not let him ride off into the sunset in peace? Even if this thing passes the vote, he will only have about two months left in office by then anyway. Can anyone say, "nonissue"? I don't think that Carty has provided good leadership for Toledo, and has, in fact, often been a hindrance and an embarrassment, but ITA with the PP--he didn't cause the horrific economy that Toledo is experiencing right now. Toledo has always been a one horse, blue collar, union town that chose long ago to hitch it's only wagon to the domestic automotive industry. That's not Carty's fault, nor is the crappy climate or negative self-image. People who b*tch about the leadership should spend their time working to improve things themselves, IMHO...assuming that they were born here, are lifelong Democrats, know someone high up in the Democratic party, and have buddies in the labor union brass. Oh, and it definitely doesn't hurt to have some connection, a great aunt twice removed, a second cousin...whatever, who is remotely connected with one of the old, ethnic neighborhoods so that one can seem like a "common joe". Even the most remote connection to the Polish Village or Birmingham neighborhoods will get you a lot of free mileage in the political realm in Toledo. The Old South End? Not so much...

Old 04-14-2009, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,329 times
The recall attempt is by mainly people that do not even live in the city of Toledo. If anyone has listened to WSPD for the past several months, you can only come away with one thought - obsessive compulsive. Everyone employeed at WSPD is a nut case. Very unprofessional to slam someone day after day. I don't listen much anymore but check in to see if their pathetic attempt to be a talk show has improved. Never. They all are hypocrits. Especially big mouth-no brain Brian Wilson. I sent him some emails once and he replied swearing and threatening to the point I had to complain to higher ups who were shocked by the email content he was sending under WSPD email format. He got called on the carpet and I received a formal apology from Andy Stewart. Big deal. I just wonder what they will have to talk about after Carty is gone. Nothing. None have the talent to do anything FOR the city of Toledo except bash it each and every day. If they want to be Mayor - run for it. Otherwise, shut up. The people OF Toledo voted for him not once but twice. Good Lord, just look at the previous Mayor and no one complained. He slept through most of his time filling the Mayors' chair. These idiots at WSPD can't even fill out a petition correctly, yet they want to tell the people of Toledo what to do and who to elect? Get serious. WSPD use to be the greatest radio station in Toledo. Now? It isn't worth the electricity wasted. Toledo deserves better and the people should be taking back WSPD instead of them telling us what to do. Contact Clear Channel Execs. Google Clear Channel and tell them of the BS'rs they have running WSPD in Toledo and that all of them should be thrown on the sidewalk. As for the recall? It won't happen. Even if voted on. They hired a firm to gather 40k signatures which at best 25k are good. Since when does a radio station hire a company to recall a mayor? Just who do they think they are? Brian Wilson can only wish he ranked as high as loser.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:52 AM

843 posts, read 1,297,688 times
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^That's too bad. WSPD was a pretty good station a few years back.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:32 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
I find it to be a nuisance - there are so many problems in Toledo and NW Ohio/SE Mich and political uncertainty will not solve them. While he may not be the best mayor, I certainly don't think that he caused these problems. We need to let the next mayoral election make this decision and quit wasting time on squabbles like this.
OMG, you got to keep Carty!

Carty provides much needed theater for those of us who packed our bags and left NW Ohio years ago. Carty reminds us we did the right thing.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:41 PM

7 posts, read 17,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
OMG, you got to keep Carty!

Carty provides much needed theater for those of us who packed our bags and left NW Ohio years ago. Carty reminds us we did the right thing.
Wow, thanks for adding absolutely nothing to this conversation guy. Anyways, as the first blogger stated, this wouldn't help anything with the guy only having about 2months left when all is said and done. Brush your shoulders off Toledo and start doing research on how to fix things for when the next election comes around. Don't do an America and listen to the nice things that each candidate says and jump on the one who says more nice things than the other. Look at everything they say with a fine tooth comb and see if what they're saying/promising can actually be done and if it can, what you can do to help. There isn't anything that can be done that will make MAJOR improvements in the SHORT term, however, there are always LITTLE things that can be done for the SHORT term and then those little things will eventually add up to free up money and time for MAJOR things to get done in the LONG term. Carty wasn't a good choice, however, he was the choice made. Now is the time to just brush it off and move on.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:28 AM

374 posts, read 1,124,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 419_Soldier View Post
Wow, thanks for adding absolutely nothing to this conversation guy. Anyways, as the first blogger stated, this wouldn't help anything with the guy only having about 2months left when all is said and done. Brush your shoulders off Toledo and start doing research on how to fix things for when the next election comes around. Don't do an America and listen to the nice things that each candidate says and jump on the one who says more nice things than the other. Look at everything they say with a fine tooth comb and see if what they're saying/promising can actually be done and if it can, what you can do to help. There isn't anything that can be done that will make MAJOR improvements in the SHORT term, however, there are always LITTLE things that can be done for the SHORT term and then those little things will eventually add up to free up money and time for MAJOR things to get done in the LONG term. Carty wasn't a good choice, however, he was the choice made. Now is the time to just brush it off and move on.
I read on one of the other post you made that you're over seas fighting for our country. My hats off to you for defending this country we love, but back to the topic. Im not sure when was the last time you were here, but we've had a new mayor for almost a year now. Mike Bell is our current mayor and so far its still too early to see where this city is going, but I dont see the same amount of complaining with Mayor Bell as I did with Carty, but hes only been mayor for 7 months....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
View detailed profiles of: