Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2009, 06:18 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,771,361 times

Advertisements

When I was growing up in Waterville, the Art Museum in Toledo was on our list of school field trips almost every year. I especially loved the mummies and the little room with the throne in it (can't remember whose throne it was)? Anyway, the many trips I made to that museum with school groups and with my family really gave me an appreciation for art. To this day, no matter which city or country I am visiting, I have to stop by the local art museums.

Now that I have been teaching for 25 years and have grandchildren, I was wondering if the Toledo Museum of Art still holds the interest of locals and tourists....is it still a popular spot and is it being well-maintained? I plan on visiting the museum for the first time in probably 35 years and am hoping it is still all I remember it being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 06:27 PM

652 posts, read 2,713,842 times
I've lived in Toledo for three years and have been there twice, the most recent time was a few weeks ago. Both times I went it felt fairly busy with school field trips and locals alike and I have been extremely impressed with the exhibits. I think the Toledo Museum of Art compares very favorably to other art museums I've been to in Chicago and New York.

Also, if you haven't been there in a while, you haven't been to the Glass Pavilion which was built just in the last few years.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:01 PM

Thanks for your response...no, I haven't seen the Glass Pavillion yet. Looking forward to it!

Old 04-06-2009, 03:55 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,320,564 times
The Toledo Museum of Art is the crown gem of Toledo, IMHO, even before the zoo. I bought a membership to the museum last year because our daughter took a ceramics class there and there is so much going on there that I don't think a lot of people in Toledo even know about. What impresses me the most though, is how it is supported entirely by donations, endowments, etc. and doesn't collect one taxpayer dollar--and yet is the most world class attraction in Toledo. Go figure...I guess that memberships are down now though, what with the sour economy in Toledo and all. I got a call a few weeks ago from the head of the museum who called personally to see how I was enjoying my membership and to tell me about some new exhibits and events coming up. Then I read in the paper a few days later that membership purchases are way down and that the museum just had to lay off a bunch of people. I hope better times are ahead, because the TMOA is awesome.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:31 AM

I'm glad you told me that....I didn't know they operated solely from donations, endowements, and memberships. I'm going to become a member and donate online if I can....I'd hate to see that beautiful, historic museum go downhill due to the economy. Thanks for responding!

Old 04-06-2009, 10:08 AM

914 posts, read 1,986,253 times
I wish COSI Toledo had learned something from the Art Museum. For the cost of the two levy campaigns they could have paid for some nice upgrades to the building an exhibits.

I was immensely impressed by the TMA when I moved to Toledo. One of my favorite things to do is go there on a Friday evening and watch them blow glass in the glass pavilion.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:39 AM

652 posts, read 2,713,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
I'm glad you told me that....I didn't know they operated solely from donations, endowements, and memberships. I'm going to become a member and donate online if I can....I'd hate to see that beautiful, historic museum go downhill due to the economy. Thanks for responding!
Your donations will be greatly appreciated, there are so many treasures in this area that just don't have enough funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
View detailed profiles of: