Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 01:14 AM

843 posts, read 1,293,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
You have to pay to go to a park? Wow, pay to enjoy nature, that sounds too far fetched for me.

You have to pay in Tennessee also.

People always say the cost of living in the south is better. It's about the same. They just hit you in different areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 01:27 AM

9,894 posts, read 21,936,907 times
Cpl.Max Klinger of MASH is from Toledo,Ohio.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:09 AM

2,501 posts, read 7,736,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
Oh yes, I almost forgot about that....he went to high school with my dad at Woodward. They used to shoot hoops together and he signed all of Dad's yearbooks along with some comments about basketball and girlfriends. I think his name was Jamiel Farrah or something like that before he got his stage name Jamie Farr. He lived in the Lebanese (I think) neighborhood and Dad lived in the old Polish part of town.

Also, Danny Thomas is from Toledo, but was quite a bit older than my dad...he met him a few times before he became famous, though, through mutual acquaintances.

And since we're talking about famous people from the area, one of Bob Hope's children married someone from my hometown of Waterville (I don't remember if it was his son or daughter), but he and his wife would come to visit the in-laws about once a year. No one usually knew they were in town until after they'd left. He said he loved Waterville!

Old 04-10-2009, 09:17 AM

652 posts, read 2,702,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Hey View Post
The neighborhoods. I love the history of the neighborhoods in Toledo, especially the ethnically oriented neighborhoods.

Some of my favorites:
Polish Village (although not particularly nice now it has great history)
Old West End
River Road area of South Toledo
Old Orchard
Just drove through the Old West End yesterday and there are some beautiful homes there. It does still seem like there may be some sketchy areas near there, however. Hopefully it can recover and turn into something like the Victorian Village or German Village in Columbus.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:18 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,486,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Oh yes, I almost forgot about that....he went to high school with my dad at Woodward. They used to shoot hoops together and he signed all of Dad's yearbooks along with some comments about basketball and girlfriends. I think his name was Jamiel Farrah or something like that before he got his stage name Jamie Farr. He lived in the Lebanese (I think) neighborhood and Dad lived in the old Polish part of town.
My mom went to high school with him too! And speaking of famous Toledoans, don't forget Katie Holmes.

There are loads of good restaurants, from Schmuker's to Fifi's to Byblos, and pizza places like Vito's and Marco's. Check this out: Toledo Restaurant Menus: Ohio - Pizza, Chinese Food, Sushi - Toledo Restaurant Guide

Old 04-10-2009, 11:06 PM

421 posts, read 1,560,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Another thing I'll add is Toledo's close proximity to bodies of water such as Maumee River and Lake Erie, making it a boater's mecca. Also, people down here (SC) think it's SO COOL that I grew up so close to the Canadian border....I didn't think it was such a big deal at the time, but I guess it is pretty convenient to be able to go to another country in little over an hour!

AND THE PEOPLE....you can't beat the people in NW Ohio...very friendly and down-to-earth. I'd put them up against Southerners, who are known for their hospitality (and most are very hospitable) anyday!

Good to read all of these positive posts about Toledo!! When I lived there in the late nineties and early part of this decade, the economy was doing better than places further East like Youngstown or Pittsburgh.

I definitely agree that folks in NW Ohio tend to be pretty hospitable. I moved to NW Ohio from PA, and really was taken by the Midwestern down-to-earth friendliness of the area when I first moved there. Since the friendliness of NW Ohio is not based on speech pattern, I would definitely say NW Ohio compares favorably to more Southern locales in friendliness. In more SOuthern locales, there is that friendly tone to the speech pattern. In NW Ohio, the actual things people do and say must convey friendliness, and usually do.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:37 PM

421 posts, read 1,560,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
Tony Packo's has done neat stuff with the whole Corporal Klinger thing. Packo's is a pretty unique restaurant. They have great Hungarian dishes, something that you don't find too many places. The walls are lined with hot dog buns that have been signed by all kinds of famous people who have eaten at Packo's throughout the years. The buns are encased in plastic to prevent them from getting moldy. There are buns signed by Ted Nugent and Bob Seger, who both get lots of airplay on 104.7, WIOT.

If you like classic rock, 104.7 is an excellent station. They play an excellent variety of classic rock, plus newer stuff. In the late nineties, "IOT", as it is known locally, played all of the eighties glam metal right along with the nineties alternative bands. WIOT is a rock station comparable to renowned big city stations like WDVE in Pittsburgh.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:23 PM

42 posts, read 103,648 times
56 Years as an adult in toledo. 21 Years as a pre adult. This is my experience of my town ( t- town ). It was and still is the glass capital of the world. It was and still is home to the Jeep. Now if chrysler goes away ,there sits a brand new state of the art auto plant. This much I know, a auto company will take that plant and make whatever car it is they produce. This facility cost over 1 billion dollars. And as I said it is as modern as any in the world.Period! As far as new industry ,we have here now a company - First solar inc.- that is the worlds largest producer of thin film solar panels. There also are a few more located here that will be big players in this new field. There are currently over 6000 working for these new companies. These jobs at the low levels pay 21.oo per hour. They also need many highly schooled people in the high paying jobs. I could and should go on about this city and its potential but I may be boring some. Do we have problems... yes,but there are not to many 300000 populated cities in this country that are not feeling this --recession? But my years here in toledo and what I see as the future tells me that toledo and its citizens future is bright.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:13 AM

5 posts, read 30,334 times
I have to say I used to be one of the negative people in toledo. I was born and raised there and haden't been many other places besides it and thought that there must be something better out there. I moved to Texas for a few years, traveled quite a bit all around the u.s., and was so happy to get away from toledo. Then I moved to pittsburgh, so happy to get away from hot, humid, nothing going on, texas. Now after living in pittsburgh,pa for a bit I can't wait to move back to toledo in a month!!!!!!!!!!!! I can honestly say after travelling around a lot I miss toledo sooo much. there just aren't cities out there like it! The south is so hot, and i love the four seasons and have missed them so much. In texas, the only hospitality i've seen is if you're from the town and were born there. If you're even look a little outside the norm they are so rude to you! I had such a rough time there and guess what the main topic of my convo's there was... how amazing toledo is! When i moved to pittsburgh it was nice, but too big city and still not as friendly as toledo. I have to say i just dont feel safe in pittsburgh. It's a pretty violent place. I miss the realness of the people of toledo, the originality of style and culture mixed, the niceness, even by gas station attendants and drive thru workers, everyone is so nice(there are bad people everywhere but the pop. of mean people versus nice in toledo, i feel, is so small) the parks are soooooo amazing!!!!!! i love crosby gardens, mary jane thurston (20 minutes out of waterville in grand rapids, most beautiful drive ever!) has a dam and this beautiful walk through the forest, wildwood(love the boardwalk!) maumee bay state park is so amazing! and crane creek!!!! I love the resteraunts as well, my parents own a resteraunt in waterville called koral hamburg(have for 10 years) which i love, and vito's is a great new pizza place, tony packos, there's also a new pizza place near fifth third field that serves chicago deep dish pizza, the chilli cook off's are great! now here's a biiiiiig plus i think toledo has that many other cities cant beat... THE LIVING COST IS SO CHEAP! compared the other cities i've lived in toledo rent is so cheap and for a city this awesome, it just makes it better. I've ranted quite a bit but I still think there could be more said about toledo. its just an amazing place.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:08 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,736,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist4phish View Post
I have to say I used to be one of the negative people in toledo. I was born and raised there and haden't been many other places besides it and thought that there must be something better out there. I moved to Texas for a few years, traveled quite a bit all around the u.s., and was so happy to get away from toledo. Then I moved to pittsburgh, so happy to get away from hot, humid, nothing going on, texas. Now after living in pittsburgh,pa for a bit I can't wait to move back to toledo in a month!!!!!!!!!!!! I can honestly say after travelling around a lot I miss toledo sooo much. there just aren't cities out there like it! The south is so hot, and i love the four seasons and have missed them so much. In texas, the only hospitality i've seen is if you're from the town and were born there. If you're even look a little outside the norm they are so rude to you! I had such a rough time there and guess what the main topic of my convo's there was... how amazing toledo is! When i moved to pittsburgh it was nice, but too big city and still not as friendly as toledo. I have to say i just dont feel safe in pittsburgh. It's a pretty violent place. I miss the realness of the people of toledo, the originality of style and culture mixed, the niceness, even by gas station attendants and drive thru workers, everyone is so nice(there are bad people everywhere but the pop. of mean people versus nice in toledo, i feel, is so small) the parks are soooooo amazing!!!!!! i love crosby gardens, mary jane thurston (20 minutes out of waterville in grand rapids, most beautiful drive ever!) has a dam and this beautiful walk through the forest, wildwood(love the boardwalk!) maumee bay state park is so amazing! and crane creek!!!! I love the resteraunts as well, my parents own a resteraunt in waterville called koral hamburg(have for 10 years) which i love, and vito's is a great new pizza place, tony packos, there's also a new pizza place near fifth third field that serves chicago deep dish pizza, the chilli cook off's are great! now here's a biiiiiig plus i think toledo has that many other cities cant beat... THE LIVING COST IS SO CHEAP! compared the other cities i've lived in toledo rent is so cheap and for a city this awesome, it just makes it better. I've ranted quite a bit but I still think there could be more said about toledo. its just an amazing place.

I lived in Waterville from birth until I was 25 years old and have so many fond memories from there. I just ate at the Koral your parents own 2 summers ago....loved their breaded, deep fried mushrooms! My family owned the Waterville Pizza Shop, which used to be on the corner of River Rd. and Mechanic St. for many years, so I grew up in the restaurant business. We lived on River Rd. about a mile down towards Maumee, on the river side. Boy do I wish I had that place now!!! I still have many friends (old neighbors and classmates in Waterville and Whitehouse, whom I stay in touch with and also have many relatives in the Toledo vacinity so I go back from time to time. I don't plan to move back because this is home now, but I still get excited visiting my old stomping grounds! It was a wonderful place to grow up and I really wish, in many respects, that I hadn't moved away and had raised my son there (he was almost 3 when we moved down here). Tell your parents I loved their food. I remember when it was Henry's, then later Herb's....we used to walk up town and have milkshakes and hamburgers there, esp. in the summertime. BAck then, everyone knew everybody, so if you didn't have enough (or any) money, Henry would say, "That's ok, I'll get it from your mom the next time she comes in". Love those small town values and charms!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo