Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 09:17 AM

148 posts, read 459,256 times

Advertisements

Hi -
I'm taking a position in Perrysburg in a few weeks, and wonder if folks here have recommendations for a gay-friendly, or at least tolerant neighborhood in the Toledo/BG area. I'll probably rent at first, then buy if the position works out.

I don't need bars on every corner or go-go boys on the sidewalks, just someplace my partner and I won't be harassed or looked at like we're aliens. I don't like driving, so I would love a pedestrian environment with decent shopping, restaurants.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 08:50 PM

143 posts, read 873,001 times
when ever i drive through the old west end i see a lot of those rainbow flags on peoples houses. i assume those are 'gay flags'. so i would say the old west end is one place you should check out. just beware what block you live on because ther crime goes up or down dramatically depending on that.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:53 PM

656 posts, read 2,315,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vader View Post
when ever i drive through the old west end i see a lot of those rainbow flags on peoples houses. i assume those are 'gay flags'. so i would say the old west end is one place you should check out. just beware what block you live on because ther crime goes up or down dramatically depending on that.
You know, now that you mention the Old West End, I think you're right. I vaguely remember hearing about gay couples renovation the OWE houses, particularly on Collingwood Blvd. between Monroe and Bancroft. They're near the Lucas County Educational Service Center.

There's a small deli on the corner of Collingwood and Delware called Pumpernickel's Deli & Cafe. They have a lot of "Historic West End" decor up, or at least they did when I was there. Maybe they'd have some detailed neighborhood information for you, Dodeca?

Although, even at that, OWE is a definite drive to Perrysburg. That may be the deal-breaker by itself.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:23 AM

51 posts, read 284,480 times
I grew up in Toledo area and went to the University of Toledo just west of the Old West End....There are some beautiful old homes there but it isnt the most pedestrian friendly. I recall several late nights in the OWE working with a classmate who rented a duplex down there on our senior projects. Often, I was approached by people begging for change, cigarettes. A lot of the people with nicer homes definitely have security systems.

To work in Perrysburg, you may find Bowling Green more commute-friendly and just as accepting or maybe even more so. BG is a college town which offers plenty of entertainment, restuarants, shopping, and reasonably-priced housing as well

Old 04-10-2007, 12:02 PM

21 posts, read 133,088 times
The old west end does have quite a few gay couples living there. But it can also be rough on different streets. Some are better than others. Not sure how alternative life styles are accepted in Perrysburg due to all the socor moms living in the town. You may feel some what shunned. I do know that Deli is a good place to start for information. Also talk with a local realitor they would be glad to help you.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:53 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,935,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodeca View Post
Hi -
I'm taking a position in Perrysburg in a few weeks, and wonder if folks here have recommendations for a gay-friendly, or at least tolerant neighborhood in the Toledo/BG area. I'll probably rent at first, then buy if the position works out.

I don't need bars on every corner or go-go boys on the sidewalks, just someplace my partner and I won't be harassed or looked at like we're aliens. I don't like driving, so I would love a pedestrian environment with decent shopping, restaurants.

Thanks!
This may or may not help.

http://hrc.org/
http://gaydemographics.org/

It may not tell you about a certain neighborhood your looking for, but it will tell you the density and laws around your area.

Good luck my GLBT friends!

Old 04-11-2007, 04:56 PM

47 posts, read 247,047 times
Old Orchard might be nice; I know that a relative of mine lives there, and there are several gay couples near her. It's also a pretty section of town, close to Ottawa Hills.

The commute from the OWE kind of depends on your expectations; I'd guess it would be about 20-25 minutes, which doesn't sound bad to me. BG is not a college town that I would describe as "gay-friendly."

You might wanna check out Bretz (bar with a DJ, also shows "***** as Folk" and "The L Word"). Caesar's is a drag bar; both are downtown. (Weird! It won't let me type Que*r!)

Old 05-02-2007, 07:11 PM

23 posts, read 121,661 times
Gee, I would think in this day and age no one would care, but alas, perrysburg might not be the place to live. ALOT of young families, predominantly white, upperclass, etc. But...who knows?
The Old West End is to dicey for me. Depending on what street, AND the particular block on that street, crime really goes up. ALOT.
Westmoreland area is heavily populated with gay couples and the houses are gorgeous, and you get alot of bang for your buck, but that is because it is on the outskirts of a "bad" area. Ihave friends in WEstmoreland and they say they've never had a problem, and they have an incredibly vigilant Block Watch group there.
Old Orchard would be cool too...safe area, alot of university professionals, white collar, gays, blacks, very diverse.
I would stay outta Ottawa hills....

Old 05-04-2007, 11:20 AM

148 posts, read 459,256 times
Thank you all for your very helpful comments - my start date has been pushed back a bit, but I hope to visit some of those areas in a few weeks to look for an apartment. Thanks again!

I'm really surprised to hear about all the crime issues in Toledo - but I hope it depends on the neighborhood. I'm not particularly worried about crime, but then I don't have any children, and I'm a big tall fellow.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:36 PM

10 posts, read 55,566 times
Smile BG is probably more gay-friendly than Toledo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodeca View Post
Hi -

Thanks!
Hey, living in Toledo and attending the univeristy, i think that BG is probably more friendly to gays. I did a project for school this year on GLBT issues and did some of the research in BG b/c could not find enough of the night-life and active organizations in Toledo. BG seems more liberal and open than Toledo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo