Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 07:28 AM

12 posts, read 48,814 times

Advertisements

Thanks to everyone for suggestions! I'm planning on checking out Toledo and surrounding areas in early July and trying to secure an apartment. I've been looking into Sylvania, and Maumee. Thanks to all of you, I've definitely decided to stay away from the university area, as a older student, I think i'd prefer something a little more quiet. I'm glad I found this board....any suggestions of stuff to do (bars, good beaches, local bingo night...kidding) I've never moved to a city without knowing a soul. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 02:09 PM

5 posts, read 26,908 times
movingtohouston,

I've heard good and bad about the downtown area. Despite that everyone says about the suburbs when I checked it out, it seemed a bit cookie cutter. Maybe it's because I'm a new hire to the area, but the idea of living DT seems interesting.

You mention some areas Uptown were nice with lots of redevelopment. Can you tell me that name of the street? I've been told Uptown has some decent areas to dine and wine. What specific areas should I avoid?

Old 05-29-2007, 07:31 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,042 times
GTM4188 its been awhile since I have driven through those areas its hard to say specifics anymore. (Street names escape me at the moment) If you are already there you can drive through the neighborhoods and truthfully you can tell. The houses have been renovated and are well taken care of. The areas closest to the art museum are probably safe and ok. Growing up there you just "knew" what streets to avoid (full of vacant lots and crack houses with boarded up windows etc...) The area where they hold the old west end fesitval is a great renovated area. Ask at work what streets those are(don't remember their names, we always drove around until we found it) I think that is the area you and I are both thinking of.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:00 AM

33 posts, read 197,451 times
You mention some areas Uptown were nice with lots of redevelopment. Can you tell me that name of the street? I've been told Uptown has some decent areas to dine and wine.

^Adams Street has seen a lot of renovation and infill. There's a small nightlife district too anchored by Mano's and Manhattan's. Wesley's (great little bar) is nearby.

Despite that everyone says about the suburbs when I checked it out, it seemed a bit cookie cutter. Maybe it's because I'm a new hire to the area, but the idea of living DT seems interesting.

The historic parts of Maumee, Perrysburg, and Rossford are very nice and relatively close to downtown. Bowling Green kicks ass and has an awesome uptown/nightlife/historic district (the actual college campus is bland). Monroe, Michigan has a great historic area too. The problem with Bowling Green and Monroe is that they're both far away from downtown and you have to drive too much.

I find places like Sylvania, Ottawa Hills, Springfield, Monclova, Whitehouse, Waterville, Bedford, Lambertville, Temperance, etc. to be horrid. They are boring and sprawled out. There is little diversity in those suburbs (well Sylvania actually has a lot of Arabs and Jews), and they are overwhelmed by urban sprawl. You better like driving a car if you live in those suburbs, or else you will have nothing to do.

I'll take old Toledo over that crap any day. I don't mind a little grit and I like Downtown, Warehouse District, Uptown, Old West End, Vistula, Northriver, and even the East Side. Crime issues are mostly related to gangs (north Toledo is known for having large chapters of Bloods and Crips) and drug dealing. Stay away from that, and you should be alright.

What specific areas should I avoid?

Well, that's tough to say, because some of the most interesting (and cheapest) housing is in neighborhoods where crime is more of an issue. General areas with high crime include the neighborhoods of LaGrange, La Viva, Vistula, ONYX, Dorr near I-75, the East Side, and a few other sections of the north Toledo. Downtown and the Warehouse District have little crime. Most of the Old West End is safe too. It really goes block by block in all the other historic neighborhoods. Some sections are safer than others. For example, in East Toledo, you might find a section with little crime and lots of intact families, and in another section you may see lots of drug dealing and other shady business. I couldn't really name the streets off the top of my head.

Last edited by C-Dawg; 05-30-2007 at 03:05 AM..

Old 06-04-2007, 08:58 AM

10 posts, read 55,555 times
Default Toledo grad student

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyrenee17 View Post
After reading a lot of these posts, I feel like not much is great about the Toledo area or the University of Toledo - though none the less I've applied to their graduate school. I grew up in Cincinnati, but have been living in Philadelphia for the last 7 years. Would someone please reccommend a great suburb to live in? I don't mind commuting 20 minutes or so to get to school and to downtown Toledo. I've heard good things about Slyvania, Perrysburg (Levis Common), and Waterville. Can you please reccommend a few places to either flock to, or avoid?? I will not have any family or friends there when I move. any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Heyrenee-
I am a graduate student at the university of toledo, and actually did my undergrad at UT too. There is alot to look forward to! Ut is a wonderful school. Their campus was voted as having one the of the most beautiful malls in the nation. I am taking summer classes and it's really nice in the summer. There are campus activities to fit everyone's tastes. This weekend I went to Taste of the Town downtown, Rally by the River, and the Old West End festival. Anyone who says that there is nothing going on here hasn't looked I currently live within the city limits, on the East side of the river. A new marina district and sports arena are being built here. The new docks are already in place and the restaurants will be here soon (although the restaurants at the docks by the cherry st. bridge are already my favorites, the Real Seafood, Cousino's Navy Bistro, & Tango's, mmmm....). The suburbs around Toledo are nice and the cost of living is low, but I would not totally discount looking for an apartment in the city before you've looked for yourself!

Old 06-04-2007, 09:09 AM

10 posts, read 55,555 times
Default apartments in toledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyrenee17 View Post
thanks bubbagirl. i've been checking out craigslist, i'll look into walbridge today. Thanks!
Heyrenee-
I used to live in the Riviera apartments on Shoreland Ave. in Toledo. This is a township in Toledo with it's own Police & Fire Dept. It's a very nice neighborhood with low crime and the apartments are inexpensive. And it is only about 10-15 min. up the e-way from U.T.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:44 AM

3 posts, read 14,235 times
Default housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM4188 View Post
Hi everyone. 1st time poster. I too have been apartment hunting in the Toledo area since I'm relocating for a new job. I was wondering what people knew of Park Lane Apartments on 23rd and Monroe? It's right on the border of Downtown and the Old West End (Though technically it's in Uptown) and it's also across the street from the Art Museum.
I live about 5 minutes from the university in a pretty decent area and I love the apartments. Not sure what price range/accommodations you have in mind but I live in Oakwood Town Homes on Dorr Street near Reynolds. I love it here and it's close enough to downtown that it's convenient.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:47 AM

3 posts, read 14,235 times
I grew up in Maumee and loved it. Excellent public schools (if that is a concern), low crime, amazing metroparks, right on the river, quaint downtown, close-knit community that's close to major shopping and right on the freeway. Not as expensive as Perrysburg or Sylvania.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:49 AM

20 posts, read 40,436 times
I'm going to be going to UT for grad school and just signed a lease at Hamlet at Maumee. I searched everywhere for a nice apt away from the party scene, but still close enough that I don't have to drive all day just to get to class. It seems pretty nice...gated, 750 sq ft for a 1 bedroom, pool and all that stuff. It's in a nice neighborhood on a deadend street so you won't have all the traffic coming through.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for out of an apartment. But I looked at a ton, so if you need some ideas, just ask

Old 06-08-2009, 09:49 AM

914 posts, read 1,982,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM4188 View Post
Hi everyone. 1st time poster. I too have been apartment hunting in the Toledo area since I'm relocating for a new job. I was wondering what people knew of Park Lane Apartments on 23rd and Monroe? It's right on the border of Downtown and the Old West End (Though technically it's in Uptown) and it's also across the street from the Art Museum.
I lived there in 2003 for about 3 months (I was only in town for the summer). Back then it was predominantly an assisted living place with a few apartments. Now it is entirely apartments. It is adjacent to Mercy College, so there are students that live there. I have a friend that lived there for 6 months during her last year of medical school. The building is beautiful. Unless they've changed things in the last couple years there are great murals in the common areas. It feels like you step back in time (in a good way!) to the 1920s when it was built. The best thing about the setup there is that when you move in your cable, phone, electric, water, and trash are all included in the rent, so it is very convenient (no late payments!).

The area is decent immediately around the building. You could walk to the art museum or even downtown during the day if you wanted and feel safe. I wouldn't do that at night. THe park lane has a gated parking lot so that will give you some security. WHen I was there they had a night security guard as well. I'm not sure if they still do. I would definitely check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo