Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 09:01 AM

12 posts, read 48,603 times

Advertisements

After reading a lot of these posts, I feel like not much is great about the Toledo area or the University of Toledo - though none the less I've applied to their graduate school. I grew up in Cincinnati, but have been living in Philadelphia for the last 7 years. Would someone please reccommend a great suburb to live in? I don't mind commuting 20 minutes or so to get to school and to downtown Toledo. I've heard good things about Slyvania, Perrysburg (Levis Common), and Waterville. Can you please reccommend a few places to either flock to, or avoid?? I will not have any family or friends there when I move. any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 09:26 AM

286 posts, read 1,583,757 times
Default Toledo has its problems, but all large cities do

You're only hearing from the people that only have bad things to say. The folks with good opinions don't come around these forums because they are too busy enjoying life.

Anyways... all of the smaller communities around Toledo are pretty nice. Perrysburg is wonderful, but might be pricey. I am in and out of Walbridge a lot and it is a great little town, very quiet. Also check out Northwood, Rossford, and Maumee.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:21 PM

thanks for the recommendations. I appreciate it soo much. I feel like i'm taking such a risk in just picking up and moving, with never seeing the area. but yes, you are right - it's only the people with complaints who speak up. I'll be sure to check out those other areas. What kind of prices should I expect for a 1 bedroom?? Thanks!

Old 05-24-2007, 05:50 PM

286 posts, read 1,583,757 times
Default Prices compared to...??

I can tell you that Toledo is MUCH cheaper than Michigan! But, I don't know what you pay.

A good scope is to check out the listings on Craigslist. I know Walbridge Apts has 'em for like $350/mth, and I have seen very reasonable prices all over the place.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:23 AM

thanks bubbagirl. i've been checking out craigslist, i'll look into walbridge today. Thanks!

Old 05-25-2007, 10:09 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,191,569 times
I graduated from UT wow 13 years ago now that I think about it. Stay away from any apartments around the University. They will be filled with young undergrads whose only mission is to party. Sylvania is nice and isn't too far away from the campus. Maumee is nice as well. You should be able to find back streets that you can drive that will get you to campus a whole lot faster than trying to drive down Reynolds/Conant Street. Don't know the prices as I haven't lived in Town for over five years. I do know my cousin rented an apartment in Old Orchard which isn't far either. It was really nice and in a neighborhood with a lot of professional people and doctors from Toledo hospital. Good luck. Go Rockets!!!!

Old 05-25-2007, 10:18 AM

5 posts, read 31,017 times
If you don't mind driving a little, look into the towns of Swanton and Delta. They are both west of Toledo on U.S. 20, or for extra speed you can get on the Turnpike and be in Toledo in no time at all. These are sleepy little towns in themselves, somewhat rural in personality, which means you can get more living space for less money. You won't have the city or college town atmosphere, so if that's important to you, forget it. But if safety and cheaper housing are your main priorities, and you don't mind driving a bit, do take a look.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:30 AM

5 posts, read 26,820 times
Hi everyone. 1st time poster. I too have been apartment hunting in the Toledo area since I'm relocating for a new job. I was wondering what people knew of Park Lane Apartments on 23rd and Monroe? It's right on the border of Downtown and the Old West End (Though technically it's in Uptown) and it's also across the street from the Art Museum.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:54 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,191,569 times
That area can be iffy. One street will be nice with alot of redevelopment and the next street over can be full of gangs and drugs. You have to be really careful.

Old 05-26-2007, 04:50 PM

217 posts, read 842,851 times
I don't live in a suburb as such, but I live right near Maumee (where I've always worked), sent you a pm about apartments that aren't in the suburb but close enough without the higher cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo