Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 02:20 AM

11 posts, read 44,394 times

Advertisements

Toledo in 1999 Till 2009" is nothing in crime compared to how it is now we have the highest arson rate one of the highest bugulary rate for our population plus the murders from 99 till 09 have x4 and Toledo is in the middle of everything Detroit Cleveland and Dayton and cincinatti that's where all the major drug deals meet is in Toledo cuz its in the middle and dead body's from Toledo get dropped off from Toledo to those major cities or those major cities will drop em off here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 12:14 PM

180 posts, read 341,832 times
First things first:
, , , , , , , , - - - - -; ; ; : : : . . . . .

Use them generously, it'll make your argument a lot clearer.

Second, do you have sources to cite for those claims? Like Toledo having the highest arson rate? I know we had a week or two period during the summer where it seemed like another building was burning down every day, but I don't recall anything out of the ordinary other than that. And where are all of these bodies being dropped off? A lot of this just sounds like hearsay, so I'd be interested if you had links to articles about this kind of thing happening.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:26 PM

And to make a contribution to this article, as for where I see things going in the next XX years...

Let's just say the next 10 years.

I think Toledo's 2022 makeup will be a lot more downtown-oriented than it is now. I think we'll continue following the trends of bigger cities around the country and we'll see a shift back to the city center in every capacity; population, entertainment, business headquarters, etc.

If we're lucky enough to maintain our stature as a leader in the solar industry, we could suddenly find ourselves as a city with a changing image and demographic. Rather than being viewed as a rust belt city stuck in an industrial past, we could be a city that is attracting tech firms, and therefore tech jobs. With the University of Toledo's Engineering Department putting a focus on alternative energy, we could be a destination for young professionals.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:26 PM

896 posts, read 1,857,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johio83 View Post
And to make a contribution to this article, as for where I see things going in the next XX years...

Let's just say the next 10 years.

I think Toledo's 2022 makeup will be a lot more downtown-oriented than it is now. I think we'll continue following the trends of bigger cities around the country and we'll see a shift back to the city center in every capacity; population, entertainment, business headquarters, etc.

I think you're right, because its a necessity for the citys survival and its already the trend anyway.

What I'm particularly interested in is what can/will be done to preserve, revitalize, and enhance all other Toledo neighborhoods. A robust Central Business District is paramount, but will that result in the infill of more affluent types of people into downtown and all the crime and gangs relocating to further outlying neighborhoods. That wouldn't be any kind of victory. I hope the city dedicates equal effort to stabilizing and revitalizing neighborhoods full of potential, that are on the tipping point.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:48 PM

37 posts, read 143,813 times
Southwyck Mall has been razed (took two years). Only the parking lot remains but the entrances are all blocked with concrete barriers painted yellow. The weed growth in the joints of the concrete slabs is unsightly. Stautzenberger College, which was nearby, has relocated to Arrowhead Park in Maumee.

NorthTowne was closed due to break-ins and vandalism by local punks. It's the next one to get the wrecking ball. Did you know that land was a small airport (National) back in the 1950s?

Woodville Mall has just closed. It's destiny is uncertain right now.

Latest news reports state that some K-Marts will close...including the one on S. Reynolds Rd.

Restaurants on Reynolds often get bought and sold. Bob Evans on Reynolds & Heatherdows has lasted many years, though. Want to get a hamburg there? It'll cost you $9.79. On top of that is state tax, then the wait staff would appreciate a tip.

Libbey High School on Western Avenue is in the process of being razed. Costs less to do that then refurbish that 1924 school.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:33 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,637,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastonestanding View Post
Well regardless of how it will look in 15 to 20 years, the Rockets beating Colorado on nationwide Television is a plus... GO ROCKETS!!!!!
Seeing the Rockets beat Michigan was hilarious.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinty View Post
Latest news reports state that some K-Marts will close...including the one on S. Reynolds Rd.

Restaurants on Reynolds often get bought and sold. Bob Evans on Reynolds & Heatherdows has lasted many years, though. Want to get a hamburg there? It'll cost you $9.79. On top of that is state tax, then the wait staff would appreciate a tip.

Libbey High School on Western Avenue is in the process of being razed. Costs less to do that then refurbish that 1924 school.
Definitely some valid points at the start, about this area basically drying up and anything that was successful there has relocated. However, a few of these aren't a cause and effect thing for Toledo.

K-Marts closing up is not our problem, it's K-Mart's problem. Sears/K-Mart is going bankrupt, and they're closing 120 stores nationwide. They're headquartered in Chicago, so it's not like Toledo had any power over this.

Bob Evans is based in Columbus, and they set the prices that their restaurants list. If they want to charge $9.79 for a hamburger, how does that affect the future of Toledo?

The Libbey ordeal is just plain stupid. It all has to do with tobacco money and the way laws are written, and peoples' inability to find flexibility in interpretation. The idea behind it was great: use the money to fund education. However, the law was written that it was easier if used in the construction of new schools, not the refurbishment of existing schools. So the city goes crazy building up new schools and knocking down the old ones. Just stupid.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:06 PM

911 posts, read 2,602,202 times
yea they tore down my high school and its one of the newest ones in toledo. it made NO SENSE to do it and build it smaller. then they partnered with the ymca....so ur double dipping by going corporate and still asking for tax payer money on the ballot.

but by all means keep woodward and scott around even though less than 800 students attend those schools.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,024 times
its already detroit pretty much, tons of crime.. cleveland, cincinatti, toledo, even the small cities like findlay and tiffin are turning into little detroits. sad.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:46 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,047,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieLC View Post
its already detroit pretty much, tons of crime.. cleveland, cincinatti, toledo, even the small cities like findlay and tiffin are turning into little detroits. sad.
Where are the stats to back this up? Toledo is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo