Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Tornadoes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 07:32 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I happened to see a CNN caption about the tornadoes here in Alabama a couple of days ago and it stated something like "They only had a 5 minute warning." I live here, we knew 24 hours in advance that there was a high likelihood of tornadoes Sunday. The weather forecasters had been warning for a full day to day and a half and had also been mentioning the chance for a few days. There were tornado watches issued in advance and then tornado warnings for surrounding areas. There was far more than a 5 minute warning that they was likely going to be a tornado in the area. The problem is people just don't take it serious until 2x4's and insulation are flying through the air around them.

So anyway, no CNN, there was plenty of advance warning and far more than 5 minutes.
Yes, that is really annoying. While there are freak tornadic events that are not predicted in advance (like the EF3 tornadoes that hit the Marshalltown IA area last year), most of the time the severe weather is predicted hours if not days in advance - and that is particularly true of the storms that produce violent tornadoes (EF4 and EF5). The problem isn't with the forecasting, it's with people simply not paying attention. Even in tornado-prone areas like the Deep South and the Great Plains, most people don't bother with NOAA weather radios or weather alert apps on their phones. I don't know what it will take to get people to pay attention to severe weather forecasts, but it's the most important thing that needs to happen if deaths are to be reduced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 11:52 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Quote:
I happened to see a CNN caption about the tornadoes here in Alabama a couple of days ago and it stated something like "They only had a 5 minute warning." I live here, we knew 24 hours in advance that there was a high likelihood of tornadoes Sunday. The weather forecasters had been warning for a full day to day and a half and had also been mentioning the chance for a few days. There were tornado watches issued in advance and then tornado warnings for surrounding areas. There was far more than a 5 minute warning that they was likely going to be a tornado in the area. The problem is people just don't take it serious until 2x4's and insulation are flying through the air around them.

So anyway, no CNN, there was plenty of advance warning and far more than 5 minutes.

If you live in tornado-prone areas, every morning during this time of year should begin with a quick glance at the weather forecast. It's just not that hard. And weather forecasters have become very skilled at warning people of favorable conditions for storms.

In mean, during the super outbreak in 2011, we collectively knew 3-4 days in advance what was happening. Every TV, radio, and internet news outlet was discussing about how conditions were ripe for a severe outbreak to take place. On the night of April 26, I made sure my wife, kids, and I all had our shoes ready and flashlights nearby. I made sure the weather alert on my phone was turned on. I had my phone on LOUD.

So when the tornado sirens went off at 5:30 that morning, I checked out my smartphone, looked at the position of the first storm of the day, got dressed and sent the family into the basement. A few minutes later, an F2 hit about a mile from us.

The tornado that hit Beauregard? The storm system that spawned it had already crossed the state. The tornado warnings had already been out for the thing. So the logical thing to have done was to find a substantial shelter in the community, not just sit in one's mobile home and hope for the best.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:22 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
If you live in tornado-prone areas, every morning during this time of year should begin with a quick glance at the weather forecast. It's just not that hard.
One thing I really like about my NOAA weather radio is that when it's not sounding a warning, it's picking up the broadcast for the most recent weather forecast. So I can hit the ON button on it every morning and listen to the latest forecast while I'm getting dressed for work.

As you say, it's not that hard to keep up with the weather. People just don't like to plan ahead.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:34 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,009,848 times
Quote:

Yes this is typical media garbage. Tornado watches were issued many hours before this event really got going and anyone who pays slight attention should have known in southern areas of Alabama and Georgia that there was the possibility of severe weather. I honestly wish national news like CNN Fox and etc would stay out of weather.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:37 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,009,848 times
To continue the theme of this thread. We will have to watch this pretty strong system moving in this weekend for areas of Missouri and Arkansas and adjacent areas. It’s of course too far to know specifics but if timing works out and we get a decent surge in temps and instability the possibility of severe weather sure seems possible

Old 03-06-2019, 06:51 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,835,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
On the night of April 26, I made sure my wife, kids, and I all had our shoes ready and flashlights nearby.
I just wanted to point out this particularly important detail you mentioned. A lot of people don't think about their shoes. The kids used to get so mad at me because when we have the threat of tornadoes, I make them put their shoes on and keep them on. I put on work boots. If a tornado hits your home, the last thing you want after it has passed is to not have shoes on. I also get the flashlights and battery operated emergency lights out and ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
Yes this is typical media garbage. Tornado watches were issued many hours before this event really got going and anyone who pays slight attention should have known in southern areas of Alabama and Georgia that there was the possibility of severe weather. I honestly wish national news like CNN Fox and etc would stay out of weather.
I know, it is really annoying. CNN is exceptionally bad with their misleading headlines but that is why I quit watching the so called "news" channels about 10 years ago.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:16 PM

7,258 posts, read 4,624,529 times
https://twitter.com/nwseastern/statu...01715712385024

Old 03-18-2019, 05:32 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Debunking Tornado Myths

https://twitter.com/NWSILN/status/1107382265510801408

Old 04-13-2019, 06:08 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Know where to go.

https://twitter.com/NWSNashville/sta...84990149709825

Old 04-14-2019, 08:07 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

Regarding that meme (With which I agree), Cordova, Alabama, was hit by two powerful tornadoes on the SAME DAY on April 27, 2011.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Tornadoes