U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2010, 05:49 PM

425 posts, read 908,997 times

Advertisements

I have been looking for a place to relocate to, I am a born and raised New Yorker and am looking to move for no other reason then looking to try someplace else, and I had a decent list of places to research in the states (San Diego, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Minn/St. Paul, Seattle & DC) then I thought by limiting myself to just the U.S. I may be cutting myself short.

I am use to not needing a car, I like not having the added expense and have no problems with walking and using mass transit to get to wear I need to. I am originally from Queens and have been in Brooklyn for 5 years now, so I am use to commutes on the subway ranging from an hour and a half to 20 minutes.

I am a big sports fan, doesn't matter what sport but baseball & hockey are my top two, how are the areas near the stadiums and arenas or areas with access to transit to get to them...would tickets to Leafs games be near impossible to get?

I actually dislike hot weather, anything above 85 degrees with humidity and I just feel uncomfortable, and am more then comfortable in cold weather. I guess climate wise San Diego is about perfect for anyone with the average year round temp of about 75 degrees.

What areas of Toronto would be a good fit for me? and what if any paper work would I need to live there coming from the states?

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 08:13 PM

10,018 posts, read 11,736,075 times
Check out The Beaches area of Toronto. It's a really great neighbourhood. Lots and lots of street activities, always busy, beautiful park all along the lake, great shopping ,pubs, etc. It's also a quick streetcar ride to downtown. When I lived there I worked there, played there and rarely had to go anywhere else. I could ride my bike downtown in 20 min. or so.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:43 PM

1,655 posts, read 5,556,870 times
You'll be able to get around the city pretty easily without a car. On top of subway lines, there's an abundance of street cars and buses tapping into every corner of the city. The main lines (Yonge/Bloor-Danforth) run right into the center of the city. Depending on where you're working, the commute time would vary indefinitely. If you're commuting to Scarborough/Etobicoke/North York you'd be hard pressed getting there solely via subway, you might have to use a combination of subway + bus, since only one or two line's run through the low density areas. To get across the entire city through subway, it shouldn't take longer than an hour at peak times (Kipling to Main St)

Regarding Hockey, you'll be hard pressed trying to find Leaf tickets at all, never mind at a decent price. There would be the odd scalper out there but to try and find them in abundance you'll have to fork up the cash. However the Toronto Marlies (our AHL team) have tickets which are very affordable (no less than $40), and they're rather easy to get. As for the Blue Jays, finding tickets are extremely easy. Tickets range from $10 - $150 (or more) depending whether it's a premium game or not. Usually the premium games would be against the Phillies/BoSox/Yankees types.

Summer weather over here tends to be very humid and sunny. Temperatures would hover around the 75-80 mark. Our late July/early August temperatures can get to around 85-90 degrees. Be prepared for the cold winters though, with wind chill like no tomorrow.

As for neighbourhoods, I'd look into some place along the Bloor-Danforth line, since you want to have easy subway access. Some of the apartments along there are very affordable. Beyond the transportation criteria, I don't know what else to suggest. You should really pay a visit first before you decide on any area for obvious reasons.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:58 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,129,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottykick View Post
I have been looking for a place to relocate to, I am a born and raised New Yorker and am looking to move for no other reason then looking to try someplace else, and I had a decent list of places to research in the states (San Diego, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Minn/St. Paul, Seattle & DC) then I thought by limiting myself to just the U.S. I may be cutting myself short.

I am use to not needing a car, I like not having the added expense and have no problems with walking and using mass transit to get to wear I need to. I am originally from Queens and have been in Brooklyn for 5 years now, so I am use to commutes on the subway ranging from an hour and a half to 20 minutes.

I am a big sports fan, doesn't matter what sport but baseball & hockey are my top two, how are the areas near the stadiums and arenas or areas with access to transit to get to them...would tickets to Leafs games be near impossible to get?

I actually dislike hot weather, anything above 85 degrees with humidity and I just feel uncomfortable, and am more then comfortable in cold weather. I guess climate wise San Diego is about perfect for anyone with the average year round temp of about 75 degrees.

What areas of Toronto would be a good fit for me? and what if any paper work would I need to live there coming from the states?

Thanks.

Well, that's the potentially tricky bit, isn't it?

Canada is a separate nation from the United States and has distinct immigration rules --- there's a lot more to moving here than just arriving with a suitcase.

Information on immigration categories and procedures is available on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada web site Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

It is possible (though not legal) to enter the country as a visitor and simply not leave, but there are particular disadvantages to going that route. Those in Canada as visitors are not permitted to work or attend school. They are not covered by government health programs.

Most importantly, they are not guaranteed re-entry to the country should they leave to go on holiday. This scenario could see one barred from entering Canada while having all their household effects still in the country.

Immigrating legally is not quick, easy, or cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto