U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 02:40 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,648,630 times

Advertisements

- do the CN Tower, walk the glass floor, marvel at EdgeWalk (under construction)
* definitely

- eat something at St. Lawrence Market, maybe back bacon sandwiches
* I'd recommend main floor for Churrascos chicken & their Heap O' Fries

- have dinner and beers at C'est What
- see Sleigh Bells and CSS play at Sound Academy (got tickets!)
- definitely take a walk on the beaches again

* also try a walk or drive up the Humber by the Old Mill subway station
* Afternoon Tea or the buffet at The Old Mill ($20+)

- shop/browse/explore Eaton Centre
* also ... explore Yorkville - late afternoon or evening

- see a movie at Bloor Cinema (are there other awesome movie theaters?)
- wander around the U of T campus (grad school ambitions...)

* visit the adjacent Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) -close to Yorkville

- actually visit the Art Gallery of Ontario instead of just walking by
- see the inside of the big train station downtown
- perhaps drive up to Canada's Wonderland for a day

* I'd pass on Canada's Wonderland - it's just another cookie cutter regional amusement park
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 03:07 PM

325 posts, read 1,002,673 times
Skip Canada's wonderland unless you have a rollercoaster interest.

Do Casa Loma - at least visit the grounds. It's right in the city, won't take up a day.
for movie theatres, check out Mt. Pleasant / Eglinton area (I forget the name)

Old 05-11-2011, 07:48 PM

10,018 posts, read 11,953,058 times
If it's a nice day you could pack a picknick and task the ferry over to the island. It's a great place, not too exciting but really nice with the lagoons, the beaches and the people watching. I was over there one day in the 70's when I spyed these two guys sittin and playin at a picknick table. I went over and sat down to listen. For an hour or so I sat there and listened to Bob Dylan and Neil Young doin their thing. It was amazing.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:36 AM

892 posts, read 2,298,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
I'd pass on Canada's Wonderland - it's just another cookie cutter regional amusement park
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoNotMe View Post
Skip Canada's wonderland unless you have a rollercoaster interest
We're both huge coaster fans, plus I'm very interested to see the park someday. I grew up right between two huge parks in eastern Virginia, worked in them both as a teenager, and lived for many years in a city right next to a third...and that one was actually built by the same folks as Wonderland and went through a lot of the same ownership swaps (Paramount, etc). So I'd really enjoy exploring the place, I think. However since it would cost an entire day, I think it'll wait for some future, longer duration trip.

Casa Loma looked really neat the last time we were up and the tour bus stopped by, we might check out the grounds. I'm not sure we'd bother with a tour just yet because we haven't even been inside the AGO or ROM yet. Definitely keeping both of those in mind for this time around!

Old 05-12-2011, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
If it's a nice day you could pack a picknick and task the ferry over to the island. It's a great place, not too exciting but really nice with the lagoons, the beaches and the people watching. I was over there one day in the 70's when I spyed these two guys sittin and playin at a picknick table. I went over and sat down to listen. For an hour or so I sat there and listened to Bob Dylan and Neil Young doin their thing. It was amazing.
That's incredible! Forgive my ignorance but when people say "the island" is that the same thing as the group of islands that extends off where the (downtown not suburban) airport is? We explored those pretty extensively on a boat tour last time, and LOVED it...but probably will spend time elsewhere for our second visit together. Trust me though, if we lived in Toronto someday we'd spend plenty of time out there, maybe even doing some boating of our own.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
* also try a walk or drive up the Humber by the Old Mill subway station
* Afternoon Tea or the buffet at The Old Mill ($20+)
Thank you! I'd never even heard mention of this area and now that I'm looking at photos from all around the subway stop and the inn it looks gorgeous. If we don't train out there, we could at least stop by on our way back out of town by driving west on Bloor instead of getting directly on the Gardiner out of Chinatown.

Quick question, does one need to be dressed in formal attire to take tea at the inn on an average weekday afternoon? Are reservations a necessity? If either is the case we might skip it this time, but at the least I'll try to stop us through the area to take a look around and go for a walk.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:09 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,648,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khyron View Post
Thank you! I'd never even heard mention of this area and now that I'm looking at photos from all around the subway stop and the inn it looks gorgeous. If we don't train out there, we could at least stop by on our way back out of town by driving west on Bloor instead of getting directly on the Gardiner out of Chinatown.

Quick question, does one need to be dressed in formal attire to take tea at the inn on an average weekday afternoon? Are reservations a necessity? If either is the case we might skip it this time, but at the least I'll try to stop us through the area to take a look around and go for a walk.
I don't believe you need reservations in the week and it's more casual than the weekend.
If you have a car - take Royal York or Prince Edward north to Dundas then come back to the Old Mill on the riverside drive (Humber Blvd. on Google maps).

old mill toronto - Google Maps 1

old mill toronto - Google Maps 2

Old 05-12-2011, 05:12 AM

9,336 posts, read 21,003,765 times
If you have a car and haven't seen Niagara Falls.. I'd check it out.
Also check out Niagara-on-the Lake, a really cutesy town and go on winery tours.

For the city proper.. think you've got it all covered.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:45 AM

1,655 posts, read 5,627,319 times
Scarborough Bluffs
Don Jail Tour (oldest jail in the city)
Walk around the Beaches area and the boardwalk
Royal Ontario Museum
Corso Italia
The Danforth
Koreatown
Hockey Hall of Fame

I'll try to think up some more.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:55 AM

65 posts, read 191,107 times
Hi Khyron,

All of the above suggestions are good. In case you want to go to Canada's Wonderland and don't have a car, you can take a Go shuttle bus to the park from Yorkdale or York Mills subway stations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto