Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2010, 05:00 PM

7 posts, read 15,074 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I recently won an full-ride international scholarship to study at a college in Toronto. I am rather excited and thankful about the chance to start life anew, but my ignorance of how to pay for housing as an international student leaves me a wee bit worried. In order to start this journey on the right foot, I have a few questions for this board and appreciate all that come to help this confused Yank.

I have been trying to look on banking websites to see the policy on applying for a bank account to keep local finances in order. I thought I could find stuff for students that share my predicament, to no avail. I tried to apply online but saw that I needed a SIN number, which I'm guessing is the equivalent to a Social Security Number. How do I make a bank account without a SIN number? Are there any other credentials I can provide to prove my identity and my need for a Canadian bank account?

I have been mainly thinking about opening up a bank account due to my quest to hastily find housing. I wish to rent a room in a house, or a cheap bachelor near my school before school starts. I understand that I would need to pay "first + last" upfront (which is much better than "first + last + security" scheme in the US if you're a starving student, lol). Of course, if I am unable to get a bank account right away I will be weary to just hand out cash, no matter how legit the landlord seems. What would be other methods of payment I could use to pay a potential landlord while I try and obtain a place to host my Canadian cash?

Sorry for this long-winded tome; I'm rather wordy and wanted to provide some backstory. Once again, I thank all who come to my rescue!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 05:28 PM

228 posts, read 696,194 times
It's best to open the account in person. You can try to open on online and just omit the SIN part and see what happens,lol. But all you need is to show your passport (may be your Student Visa). The only problem I see is that you'll need to give a permanent address. When I studied in the US, I gave my school's address to open a bank account, then changed it when I found my Apartment.

Just explain that you're an international student and you'll be fine.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:45 PM

984 posts, read 2,711,017 times
University of Toronto has a lot of information for your scenario here
Financial Matters (http://www.isc.utoronto.ca/preparing/financialmatters.htm - broken link)
There is a good section on bank accounts.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:48 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Curiosity here, is anyone in the Chem Dept at U. of Toronto?????

Old 08-23-2013, 01:54 PM

984 posts, read 2,711,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
University of Toronto has a lot of information for your scenario here
Financial Matters (http://www.isc.utoronto.ca/preparing...ialmatters.htm - broken link)
There is a good section on bank accounts.
fixed link U of T Family Website - Financial Matters

Old 08-25-2013, 08:54 AM

127 posts, read 269,051 times
The first thing i would say to you is to be very careful with the rental scams spreading around Toronto and targeting foreign student by asking them to send cash from abroad to book a a place.

Opening a Canadian bank account online is available to those who already have a Canadian credit (good one) and already own another Canadian bank account , when you get approved the bank send you a package with forms you have to sign and return along with a check you deposit into your new bank account , this first check should be yours with your name from another Canadian bank you own (to prove your identity) . as a foreign national you have to show up personally , easy thing.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:29 PM

4 posts, read 10,949 times
Hi,

Taking advantage of this topic, next January I am goint to move to Toronto for study and work (Work & Study Program from February to September)

I will study 3 hours in the morning and work 3 hours in the afternoon.

So, I'd like some help in some questions:

1. Which place is nice to rent a shared room or a simple basement in a 10km range from the address 443 University Ave (my school)?
2. It must be near public transportation service, because I'll have to use it, but also I am a bike friendly, so I can commute from home to school without problems;
3. Budget always is an important information. I can handle $500 per month with all included, no more than $550 and if I find less than $500 would be great.
4. In my budget I am thinking to spend $300 per month in food, $30 per month in wireless/mobile phone and $100 for transportation/commute, is that reasonable prices?
5. After September I will have to get a new VISA period time, is that possible to do that?

I know that a job will depends, but one that pays the minimum wage ($10,50/hr) will be ok for start, but I will need a better job after a few months.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:51 PM

4 posts, read 10,949 times
In addiction for example of an item:

3. Budget always is an important information. I can handle $500 per month with all included, no more than $550 and if I find less than $500 would be great.

Rooms for Rent near Downsview Subway Station
This place seems to be very nice, but they want a female person and I am male. But something similar to that and near the school would be great.

Thanks.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,057 times
my clean, quiet, peaceful and open space concept is available
in the north west part of Toronto.
Near weston rd and lawrence west

I have one large room with share of washroom, kitchen and living room

Looking for at least 4 months stay.

[email]goodenergybreak@gmail.com[/email]

Old 02-07-2017, 09:38 AM

2 posts, read 1,348 times
Hi I am a female looking for a female international student to rent a space in my brand new built home in Toronto, avenue and Lawrence area.
The house is 2 mins walking distance from a Starbucks, many restaurants and beautiful boutiques on Avenue Rd.

The Space includes a furnished private living room, furnished bedroom and private bathroom for $1000/month.
It basically is a beautiful condo located in the heart of Toronto. Subways and highways are a few minutes away.
Please email me at
pamposhdesign@gmail.com

Last edited by Pamposh; 02-07-2017 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: Forgot to mention that wifi is included, full kitchen, food in fridge, washer/ dryer, tv dish most channels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto