Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 04:39 PM

633 posts, read 1,436,614 times

Advertisements

I am planning a road trip from Chicago to Toronto for my wife and me. We will probably travel north in the fall (October?). I am wondering: what is it that we should be sure to do in your great, snowy, maple-leafy metropolis? Keep in mind that we really only have one full day.

Edit: I am looking for things that are unique to Toronto, that we could not experience in Chicago. So that means a lot of cultural things such as theater, ballet, are redundant. I'm not looking for generic "big city" experiences as much as "Toronto-only" experiences. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 09:58 PM

981 posts, read 2,698,636 times
Some options..

Dinner in the CN tower..CN Tower | La Tour CN - Overview
Visit the Hockey Hall of Fame. Hockey Hall of Fame - Visitor Information
Great restaurant above the Hockey Hall of Fame as well.
Visit the St Lawrence Market St. Lawrence Market Home Page
Visit the Waterfront Harbourfront Centre - Home
Ontario Place Experience Ontario Place

Depending on timing the CNE or Caribana
TheEx.com Caribana Toronto

Old 07-27-2010, 10:47 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,711,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
I am planning a road trip from Chicago to Toronto for my wife and me. We will probably travel north in the fall (October?). I am wondering: what is it that we should be sure to do in your great, snowy, maple-leafy metropolis? Keep in mind that we really only have one full day.

Edit: I am looking for things that are unique to Toronto, that we could not experience in Chicago. So that means a lot of cultural things such as theater, ballet, are redundant. I'm not looking for generic "big city" experiences as much as "Toronto-only" experiences. Thanks again!

You have only one full day?

Does this mean you'll spend one day getting to Toronto, one day in the city, and then a third day returning to Chicago?

I sure hope so, otherwise (based on a 10-hour drive) you'll have about three hours in the city and then a long trip home.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:08 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,835,774 times
I actually find that kind of comical, are you on a huge road trip or something, traveling from city to city? I'd suggest to spend at least a weekend over here, it's too stressful to pile stuff up on a single day. I'd reserve one night to go to a nice restaurant, and another to go see a theater show; that is if you have the time.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
You have only one full day?

Does this mean you'll spend one day getting to Toronto, one day in the city, and then a third day returning to Chicago?

I sure hope so, otherwise (based on a 10-hour drive) you'll have about three hours in the city and then a long trip home.
Yeah that's right. It's really more like two days. A nine-hour drive, a full day, and another 9-hour drive. So, two days total. Or you could say, Three days, two nights.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:30 AM

77 posts, read 283,873 times
I think Kensington Market can be a somewhat unique experience. Not sure if Chicago has such thing. You can check out Chinatown and Queen West area together with Kensington Market. Around this area (or generally anywhere around downtown) you'll be able to see typical Toronto housing types(victorian style with porches and frontyards). On the other hand there is Distillery District which is also something different, but it could be a little too touristy. BTW don't go near the waterfront lol. IMO, if you are coming from Chicago, expect to see somewhat gritty/rustic/bohemian vibe rather than sophisticated big city vibe.

Last edited by fps7028; 07-28-2010 at 12:57 AM..

Old 07-28-2010, 05:48 AM

26,765 posts, read 37,688,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post

Note that Toronto probably won`t be snowy in October...

Old 07-28-2010, 08:00 AM

2,617 posts, read 1,498,520 times
Toronto, Canada - Toronto Tourism & Travel Guide

Best bets for dining in Toronto - Travel - 24-Hour Layover - 24-Hour Layover: Toronto - msnbc.com

Old 07-28-2010, 08:05 AM

2,617 posts, read 1,498,520 times
24-Hour Layover: Toronto- msnbc.com

Old 07-28-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps7028 View Post
I think Kensington Market can be a somewhat unique experience. Not sure if Chicago has such thing. You can check out Chinatown and Queen West area together with Kensington Market. Around this area (or generally anywhere around downtown) you'll be able to see typical Toronto housing types(victorian style with porches and frontyards). On the other hand there is Distillery District which is also something different, but it could be a little too touristy. BTW don't go near the waterfront lol. IMO, if you are coming from Chicago, expect to see somewhat gritty/rustic/bohemian vibe rather than sophisticated big city vibe.
This is great--thanks a lot!
I just have a few questions.
What is the Kensington Market? Is it similar to the Maxwell St. Market here in the Chi?

Is the Distillery District still full of distilleries, or have they gone the way of the printers in Chicago's Printers Row?

I don't mind touristy destinations. After all, we will be tourists.

What is wrong with the waterfront?

When you say Toronto doesn't have a big-city vibe--I have heard this before when comparing the two cities--what should I expect? Is it more like Philadelphia? In case you've never been to Philly, it seems like everyone there is a Hipster. It's like Wicker Park exploded all over the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto