Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 02:54 PM

23 posts, read 41,693 times

Advertisements

hi! im a 20year old girl from cork,ireland and im hoping to spend the summer in canada! - i was thinking Toronto! - whats the situation workwise??! is there waitressing jobs or barwork? or is the recession affecting your country?!! im also a qualified barber..is there certain licensing rules for that or..??!! thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 11:25 AM

251 posts, read 825,515 times
I don't think you will have trouble finding "waitressing jobs or barwork"... I don't notice any recessionin Toronto

Old 01-13-2010, 01:21 PM

793 posts, read 1,453,227 times
Anyone who says that the recession has not affected Toronto is really not monitoring the stats.

2009 was a very tough year for the restaurant industry in Toronto, openings have not kept pace with closings. Here is an interesting roundup:

http://www.torontolife.com/daily/daily-dish/deathwatch/2009/12/02/how-the-mighty-have-fallen-24-more-restaurant-closures/

http://www.torontolife.com/daily/daily-dish/deathwatch/2009/08/25/restaurant-closures-roundup-now-is-the-summer-of-our-discontent/

From Dec 08 - Dec 09 There has been negative growth in all categories and the Unemployment rate has risen by 2%. I would call that an issue:

http://www40.statcan.gc.ca/l01/cst01/lfss05d-eng.htm

This does not mean you cannot find employment obviously, but you should know your challenges ahead of time to ensure your expectations are set accordingly.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,762 times
Thumbs up to the Irish girl from Cork

Hello!

First of all, I live not far from Toronto so I do have an idea of the employment situation, wages and cost of living. (Noticed that someone wrote in from Boston Massachusetts!).
There are plenty of jobs if you are willing to work as a waitress however some restaurants will pay more than other's. For example working at 'RED LOBSTER' pays more than a job at a "family-style' restaurant.
The next thing to consider is accomodation: it is very expensive to live in T.O. unless you know someone or have a contact that can help you find a place to live.

I've lived and worked in Ireland (awesome country, people, and food!), and my work experience was wonderful. Just as a suggestion, why not try working in Dublin? The cost of living is fairly high BUT you will save yourself more money than coming to Toronto and starting a fresh.
Search out a specialty store such as "McCambridges" in Rathmines area. The owner hired two people from Cork, and many other areas throughout Ireland, plus two Canadian girls. I was one of those two! :>)

Would you consider leaving your email address, as I would welcome any opportunity to assist you. My husband has most of his family living in Toronto and they own several properties in excellent areas and all close to some of the best restaurants in the city.
These are some suggestions that I trust will help you to make your important decision.
Wishing you all the best: S. Thornton
ádh mór ort!

Old 01-14-2010, 07:13 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSAN_JOY4U View Post
Hello!

First of all, I live not far from Toronto so I do have an idea of the employment situation, wages and cost of living. (Noticed that someone wrote in from Boston Massachusetts!).
There are plenty of jobs if you are willing to work as a waitress however some restaurants will pay more than other's. For example working at 'RED LOBSTER' pays more than a job at a "family-style' restaurant.
The next thing to consider is accomodation: it is very expensive to live in T.O. unless you know someone or have a contact that can help you find a place to live.

I've lived and worked in Ireland (awesome country, people, and food!), and my work experience was wonderful. Just as a suggestion, why not try working in Dublin? The cost of living is fairly high BUT you will save yourself more money than coming to Toronto and starting a fresh.
Search out a specialty store such as "McCambridges" in Rathmines area. The owner hired two people from Cork, and many other areas throughout Ireland, plus two Canadian girls. I was one of those two! :>)

Would you consider leaving your email address, as I would welcome any opportunity to assist you. My husband has most of his family living in Toronto and they own several properties in excellent areas and all close to some of the best restaurants in the city.
These are some suggestions that I trust will help you to make your important decision.
Wishing you all the best: S. Thornton
ádh mór ort!

Please use the Direct Message system for personal conversations.

Thanks.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:19 AM

793 posts, read 1,453,227 times
Quote:
Your absoultely right, why on earth did I even comment when I only have lived in Toronto for 18 years and currently still travel there for business reasons every month

Then why on earth would statistics Canada know anything about the Unemoloyment rate? Like come on now, what was I thinking! Unreliable source I agree. Oh yeah, and DINETO would know nothing about restaurant closings as well.

Thank you for your insight, please go ahead and peddle your Husbands properties now and continue using the PM feature successfully!

Old 01-15-2010, 01:14 PM

251 posts, read 825,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
Anyone who says that the recession has not affected Toronto is really not monitoring the stats.
I'm not talking about stats, I'm talking about day-to-day live. Myself, my family, relatives, coworkers - just don't feel any recession (except for lower bonuses and raises). Everyone goes to restaurans, flying abroad for vacations.... Just several weeks ago in walking distance from our house new "The Keg" was opened and salaries of waiteresses are not too small IMHO.
As per unemployment rate in Canada ...it's lower than in US or many other developed countries. Just to mention that when my wife got forced to live US based companies, she right away found high payed IT job in one of the big Canadian banks...

P.S. Recession affected more serious less developed counties... for example from conversations with my friends who live in Russia,... there was luck of good in the stores, some big supermarkets got closed or closed part of the departments, constructions almast stopped in winter time etc

Old 01-15-2010, 03:53 PM

786 posts, read 2,761,844 times
The one thing no one has pointed out, is that you cannot work in Canada without a work permit. Under what grounds do you think you would qualify for one? Canada's immigration works on a point system which takes into account many things as well as education and skill set.

Since you are only looking at coming over for a summer, check to see if there are any working vacation type of visas you could apply for. I can't remember if Canada has those or not.

Summer is also the time that the college and high school students are looking for work, and the restaurant industry is one of their first stops. So job availability right now will not be an indicator of job availability in the summer.

From an Irish Canadian who lived in the Toronto area for over 20 years, I wish you good luck with your plans. I hope they work out.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:33 AM

23 posts, read 41,693 times
thanks for all the replys!|

Old 01-18-2010, 05:35 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
I don't think you will have trouble finding "waitressing jobs or barwork"... I don't notice any recessionin Toronto
Either way you're Irish. I used to date an Irish girl.

Fly over and talk to any restaurateur in your thickest accent and you'll have a job immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto