U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Toronto a 24 hour city?
Yes! 29 34.94%
No. 54 65.06%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 05:46 PM

1,512 posts, read 7,870,713 times

Advertisements

Would you consider Toronto a 24 hour city?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 03:37 PM

53 posts, read 324,240 times
As much as there is to do in Toronto, I really wouldn't consider it a 24 hour type city. Sure, on the weekends, the club district and bar scene (if you're into that sort of thing) are pretty hopping on Fridays and Saturdays, but once last call comes around at 2 A.M., things start to die down pretty quickly.

There aren't even that many 24 hour restaurants in Toronto. Most of them consist of Chinese food restaurants around the Spadina and Dundas area. Those go very late, some until 5 AM. There are few non-Chinese 24 spots to eat, but they are scattered throughout Toronto.

Even Queen West, which is considered a pretty happening scence, dies downs fairly quickly once the liquor stops flowing. Don't get me wrong, it's not totally dead, there are still plenty of people walking about, but certainly things are winding down. By 3:30, 4 A.M., there's not a heck of a lot going on. As for other parts of the city around that time, dead as a doornail. I love driving in Toronto in the wee wee hours, it feels like the city is all yours.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:46 PM

64 posts, read 197,706 times
Definitely.

You can hear gunfire 24 hours a day now

Old 08-24-2007, 05:53 PM

1,512 posts, read 7,870,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1873 View Post
Definitely.

You can hear gunfire 24 hours a day now
What part of the city and why?

Old 08-25-2007, 11:26 AM

9,594 posts, read 26,452,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
What part of the city and why?
Usually low income areas, (public housing?)

"Ghetto mentality" of wannabe-gangsters, actual Canadian-raised gang members but probably mostly due to foreign gangsters. We had gangs before, but not as much gun violence. A lot of the foreign or ethnic gangs, (ie. Carribbean, Asian etc.) seem to use guns a lot more frequently.

*There was a story just a few years ago of a Jamaican citizen who killed someone and instead of sentencing they deported him. He found his way back to Canada, killed someone else and instead of sentencing this time he was deported again. He came back a third time, killed another person and then his story finally made the news as the courts were trying to figure out what to do with him.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:33 AM

9,594 posts, read 26,452,706 times
Toronto is not a 24 hour city. Likely, there are no 24 hr cities in Canada.

However most stores are open a minimum of 12 hours a day weekdays. (9am-9pm) There are some 24 hr grocery stores.

On the weekends there are a lot of clubs open until 3 am and take-out restaurants typically open between 5-6 am.

At the most, Toronto is a 21 hour city on weekends and maybe 19 hours most weekdays.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:13 PM

6 posts, read 68,561 times
The truth is that our gang/gun culture is something that can be blamed more on the influence of American gun culture and an easy accesibility to guns from the States than anything else. The fact is that if Canada didn´t have its immigrant population we couldn´t have enjoyed the type of economic growth that we have over the past 25 years. I do agree with you that we didn´t have as much violence as before and for sure there are immigrants to blame for that (and Canadians aswell) but it is silly to use them as an excuse for whatever problems we face. I respect your opinion, but you must think more and have a closer look at the problem before you make rash statements!!

P.S. For the record I am as worried and troubled by the recent gun violence and gang culture in our great city but I, as always believe that better education and community programs are needed, not fingerpointing!

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 03-07-2008 at 03:32 AM.. Reason: Again, let's keep our discussions civil and without accusations, please

Old 03-08-2008, 05:09 AM

16,242 posts, read 23,485,566 times
From my experience it is about a "20 hour" a day city. That said the only places in the USA you find people on the streets all hours are New York, Las Vegas, Atlanta and maybe Miami.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:24 PM

62 posts, read 324,683 times
I have been in Toronto for about 2.5 years. Everything used to close down early. Hardly some Tim Hortons cafe's and convinience stores. Its hustling and bustling near Spadina and slightly down south but that's only for weekends.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:29 PM

11 posts, read 63,082 times
Default Please Define What A 24-Hour City Is

Hello,

Toronto a 24-Hour City?

I haven't yet seen a good definition of what constitutes a 24-Hour city. Is there some organization/body that most people accept as 'the source' for this?

That said, I'd say to Toronto, yes and no, depending on your definition:
Please note that I speak of a GTA perspective, not just the "city of..." Toronto, AND I'm speaking of _any_ day of the week, not just Friday/Saturday.

- Does at least 15% of the population work after 9:00pm and before 7:00am? I would think so.
- Does the city have a round-the-clock transportation system?
yes -- but limited to every second major arterial route and only within 'Toronto' itself (not its suburbs)
- Is there 24-Hour Shopping (not including convenience or gasoline stations...which to me is 'a given')? Yes -- Walmart, Shoppers Drug Mart, Sobey's, A&P/Metro/Dominion (almost all of the latter locations, select 'strategic' locations for the others, and most are open past 9:00pm regardless).
- Are there restaurants that are either open or serve food? I split this into two categories: Fast Food: Almost every major fast food 'joint' has a 24-hour drive-thru. Restaurants: Some. Mostly middle-of-the road types that are dine-in's but built for quick turn-arounds. There are a couple of 24-Hour chains too: Golden Griddle, Fran's, Denny's
- Is there 24-Hour entertainment venues? Late -- Yes. 24-Hour -- Some (ie. bowling) Not very prevalent.
- Do people walk/drive/ are out in a) the suburbs and b) downtown at night? In the suburbs not so much. Downtown -- Definetly, and not just entertainment districts, but areas that would be near shopping & food 'joints'. When I lived down and went to work @ 3:30 in the morning there were always people around.

So is Toronto a 24-Hour City? Depends on your definition, but my assessment would be that It probably isn't one quite yet, but it's pretty close (give it another year or two).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto