Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 10:12 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,644,281 times

Advertisements

I will be visiting Toronto in December 2011 with my partner. We are both 29 years old, male and from Atlanta, Georgia.

Please provide me with advice on:

a) Things to do (Will there be anything going on in December?)
b) Places to eat (We hate chain restaurants!)
c) Places to stay (I do not want to spend over $150.00 USD per night; however, I would love to stay downtown near a subway station)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by BeyondInfinity; 10-14-2011 at 10:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 06:04 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,279 times
Tell us a little more about what you're interested in. Do some searching on the hotel booking sites and run some possibilities past us.

Yes, there's lots going on in December, but that again depends on what you want to see and do.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:13 PM

285 posts, read 703,214 times
Let's see...December is a comparatively quiet time in Toronto. It seems like more of the big festivals and events are in the summer and early fall. Much of what goes on is Christmas-oriented. I've heard that Church of the Holy Trinity has a great musical nativity pageant. Don't be put off; it's a church that welcomes same-sex couples and those who wish they were.

Toronto has art, theatre, concerts and film. There's plenty of shopping and nightlife. It's your trip; do what you want to do. If you can find fun in Atlanta, you can find fun in Toronto.

Where to eat? Where do I begin? Toronto has plenty of good, non-chain options. It's a matter of what your tastes are and what you are willing to spend. Google "Toronto restaurants" and be prepared to spend a few hours.

My guess is that you're first-time visitors to Toronto. I'd steer you to the Delta Chelsea because it's in the heart of the downtown/Yonge Street area. It's a big hotel, and it's roughly halfway between the College and Dundas stops. The only snag is that it's probably close to $150 per night. Go online early, shop around and you might get a nice deal.

You can get a cheaper room at the Howard Johnson Yorkville; as the name suggests, it's in the Yorkville neighbourhood just north of downtown. The rooms are plain, but you're in a nice part of town and a slightly farther walk to the subway. However, you'll be fine if you don't do that with luggage in tow. You'll be nearest the Museum and Bay subway stops...and museums.

Since you're coming from Atlanta in December, don't be surprised at below- freezing temperatures. Toronto is colder than Atlanta, but not as cold as you might think. Pack as if you were coming to Chicago or Cleveland, but don't
expect deep snow.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:31 PM

5,897 posts, read 6,100,195 times
Kensington Market has a festival for the winter solstice.

And are you mostly just against large chains or smaller ones too? In terms of sit down restaurants, there's loads of independent ones, a few small chains (ex Spring Rolls), a fair bit of larger Canadian chains (ex Boston Pizza) and virtually no American or foreign sit down chains (maybe 10 establishments total?). Some of the large Canadian chains are pretty decent imo, like East Side Mario's or The Key... although I would still mostly focus on the independents/small chains. In addition to local/Canadian cuisine and pubs, there's a good variety of Chinese, Korean, Indian, Italian, Greek, Middle Eastern, as well as Jamaican, Portuguese/Brazilian, Vietnamese,Japanese and Thai.

Btw I'm guessing you won't have a car?

Old 10-24-2011, 11:37 AM

222 posts, read 579,031 times
Toronto Is cold in December but I wont let that stop me, any way research the city first and you will find a bunch of interesting facts and things. I know one thing I would recommend, go to the Tower. I heard the restraunt has good food and also they party up there. Anyway I also advise you visit a lot of live shows.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:37 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,577,788 times
You may laugh at this because it seems so obvious. Bring a pair of thermal underware. Top and bottom. It's really great wandering around downtown Toronto even in December but not if you are cold. With thermals on under my jeans I can walk around Winnipeg at -40 and be comfortable. It doesn't get that cold in Toronto, ever. Don't forget a hat and gloves either. You don't need heavy clothing to keep warm just layers.

There was a thread on here last year from an American travelling to Toronto and he ended up ataying at the motel 8 on Spadina. It's right in the middle of Chinatown and he said it was great and cheap. Maybe you could look up that thread. He also had a collection of amazing picts he took while in the city. If you want I could find them for you. Just let me know.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:11 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,577,788 times
It was the Super 8 Hotel on Spadina.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:15 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
a) Things to do (Will there be anything going on in December?)
b) Places to eat (We hate chain restaurants!)
Lots of interesting suggestions here:
Toronto Restaurants and GTA Dining Guide. Dine.TO.
Toronto Restaurants | Urbanspoon

Old 10-27-2011, 11:48 AM

364 posts, read 1,192,630 times
What's with the Atlanta ppl coming to Toronto? Are you coming for business? If so, are you related to Atlantagal?

Old 11-12-2011, 06:47 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,217,950 times
For a hotel, book in advance on priceline or hotwire. You pay in american dollars and avoid alot of the taxes. We stay in a 4 star hotel for under 100 per night, all of them are nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto