Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2009, 05:19 PM

2 posts, read 7,250 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am from the United States, and I visited Toronto, Canada, recently, where my car was in an accident while it was being towed for a parking violation. I had never been to Canada before, and I have since read on the internet that there were recently a number of towing scandals in the Toronto area. I wanted to run the situation past any local residents to see if I could get your opinion.

I was parked on Dundas Street West, and the parking meter ran out, and my car was parked past 4:00 p.m. In this area, it is illegal to park your car between 4:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. (I noticed this after my car was towed. In my local area in the United States, this type of information is usually posted on large signs; the information was listed in fine print on the parking meter, and I missed it. The illegal parking was totally my fault, though.) My car was towed. The towtruck driver got two to three miles down the road, when it was rear-ended very seriously by another car. The person who was driving the other car was a mechanic at a local tire shop, also on Dundas. He did not own the car he was driving. He had completed tire work on the vehicle and was taking it out for a test drive. The towtruck came to a sudden stop, since the person in front of him stopped quickly, then the other car driven by the mechanic slammed into the back of my car, as it was being towed. This caused serious damage to my car and worse damage to the other car. Luckily, no one was hurt. I was not there at the time the accident happened.

Currently, my car is being fixed by an autobody shop in Canada, which I was referred to by the towing company and is also authorized by my insurance company. It is going to take about a week to fix. I had to drive a Canadian rental car back to the U.S. while my car is being worked on in Canada. After the work is complete, I have to return the rental car to Toronto and pick up my car and bring it back home. Note that the drive is nine hours each way.

Since I was totally new to Canada, I wanted to try to get locals' opinion of the situation. Does this sound like a freak accident, or should I be concerned about a possible scam occurring? It was very weird and rather inconvenient.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 08:05 PM

43 posts, read 119,328 times
from a cursory read the only question I would have is about the impound fee and any fines payable for the parking in a tow zone. These could be answered by the body show as to what is payable on release/ delivery of your vehicle.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:11 PM

155 posts, read 454,126 times
Do you know what kind of car rear-ended yours? I ask because, if it is in fact a scam, and the tow truck driver/driver of the other car are working together, I seriously doubt they would want to damage a nice car to smash yours and make money off the work. If the car was an old, beat car, then I would probably wonder about it. I mean, what are the odds of this happening? The tow truck driver recommending the garage is what has me thinking a little bit. .

Also, did you get a quote on the repairs before any work started? Because if they jumped right into the work, I would say it sounds like a scam. Even if your insurance is covering, I still think you should get an estimate before the work starts.

Last edited by MiD310; 09-03-2010 at 02:07 PM..

Old 09-03-2010, 02:07 PM

155 posts, read 454,126 times
Damn old threads coming up

Wonder if this was a scam or not??

Old 09-03-2010, 06:50 PM

355 posts, read 2,370,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiD310 View Post
Damn old threads coming up

Wonder if this was a scam or not??

The thread was revived by spam about an online hotel search service. But now I'm curious too about how the story ended with the damaged car. And, did he/she have to pay a fine for illegal parking? Or, was the city liable for any of the damage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto