Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Toronto have the big city New York vibe?
It has a vibe similar to New York. 18 31.58%
It has a vibe similar to Chicago. 35 61.40%
It has a vibe similar to Calgary. 5 8.77%
It has a vibe similar to Vancouver. 1 1.75%
It has a vibe similar to Montreal. 2 3.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 12:40 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times

Advertisements

Toronto is cool, it has a big city vibe. But i wouldnt compare it to NYC, imho they are complelty different, The demographics alone give the cities completely different vibes. I dont know why Some people insist on trying to compare Toronto to NY. Just be Toronto, stop trying to compare yourselves to other places.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:20 PM

71 posts, read 348,223 times
The dating scenes are the polar opposite of each other.

New York - with around 200,000 more single women than men, is a single man's city. Women complain about men having the upper hand in the dating/social scene, and their entitled attitudes and flakiness because there is always another attractive but desperate, lonely girl just around the corner.

Toronto - with around 50,000 more single men than women in the prime dating age ranges, is a single woman's city. Men complain about women having the upper hand in the dating/social scene, and their entitled attitudes and flakiness because there is always another above average lonely guy, or couple of guys willing to inflate her ego just around the corner.

I wish someone had told me these facts 10-15 years ago, I would have hightailed it out of here long time ago. Though the US overall is in an equally crappy or worse demographic situation, where women have the strong upper hand in the dating/social scene due to demographics (NY is one of the few exceptions).

Last edited by Equalizer101; 08-20-2011 at 01:30 PM..

Old 08-22-2011, 12:58 AM

749 posts, read 2,454,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Exactly! There is simply no place like NYC on earth. Trying to convince me the two are even remotely similar would be like trying to convince me your Ford Focus is basically the same as my Lincoln Town Car. Yes, they are both big cities next to large bodies of water. That is pretty much where any comparison between them ends.

I was born in Toronto and have lived in the east GTA all my life. However, you could not pay me to live within Toronto's city limits. It is dirty, smelly, overpriced and devoid of any culture whatsoever (unless cheering on crappy hockey teams is your thing). On the other hand, NYC is absolutely enchanting. It has an art deco feel to it that simply does not exist in Toronto, and boasts dozens of world-class museums, art galleries and cultural treasures, not to mention nightlife. I would move to NYC in a heartbeat if given the chance - it is pretty much the only large city that I would.
Have you been to Tokyo? I live in NYC and go to Tokyo for business. Tokyo dwarfs NYC in just sheer urbanity. Obviously Japan is a homogenous country, but if it had New York or London's diversity and culture, there would be no comparison for Tokyo.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krock67 View Post
I use to believe that NYC was the center of the universe, until after living and working their (in finance) for more than 5 years. In short, it became too familiar, so I got bored with it and decided to moved on. Now I am here in Canada and find Toronto and the GTA to be very interesting and exciting. I hope this feeling last awhile.
I can't fathom how you'd become jaded with NY in 5 years just because you became familiar with it. You'd need more than a lifetime to fully appreciate NY. Perhaps it's because your friends and family are in Canada and not in NY. After all, a city no matter how big and exciting is nothing without loved ones around. Or maybe because you're in finance you didn't truly have the chance to emerse yourself into the city because you were working all the time? I don't think people get bored of NY so much as their lives in NY especially if they're transplants.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Annuvin doesn't have a clue about the city he lives in.

As far as I know, New York doesn't have something like Kensington Market.

The North By Northeast music fest is happening in Toronto this weekend, virtually every venue in the central city is hosting a lineup of bands from all over Canada and the World. Only The South By Southwest music fest in Austin, Texas is comparable in scope.
Really? Brooklyn Flea, Williamsburgh, random pop up markets all over the city etc.

That festival sounds like a regular weekend in NYC.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:25 PM

207 posts, read 926,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
I can't fathom how you'd become jaded with NY in 5 years just because you became familiar with it. You'd need more than a lifetime to fully appreciate NY. Perhaps it's because your friends and family are in Canada and not in NY. After all, a city no matter how big and exciting is nothing without loved ones around. Or maybe because you're in finance you didn't truly have the chance to emerse yourself into the city because you were working all the time? I don't think people get bored of NY so much as their lives in NY especially if they're transplants.
I seem to move every two to five years. Not by design, but life seems to take me to different places. Philadelphia is my home town by the way.

In short, prior to leaving NYC I was ready to settle down and have a family. Somehow NYC just did not feel like the right place for that.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:55 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
Really? Brooklyn Flea, Williamsburgh, random pop up markets all over the city etc.

That festival sounds like a regular weekend in NYC.
Unless you've been to Kensington Market, you really have no idea what it's like, and NYC doesn't have a truly comparable area.

NXNE is definitely a lot more happening than a regular weekend in NYC. I'm willing to bet that a regular weekend in Toronto compares very favourably to one in NYC in terms of entertainment options.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:05 PM

14 posts, read 24,219 times
No.

It is nothing like New York. If anything, it might be like chi-town on a much, much smaller scale. NY is simply NY, and nothing compares to it. That's like asking if Vancouver is like Los Angeles or something.

Toronto feels more like a really, really big small town surrounded by other small towns. It's weird, but I find it incredibly dull and boring for my liking. That city has always rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. Just a cold feeling to it (nothing to do with weather).

Old 08-24-2011, 06:40 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Unless you've been to Kensington Market, you really have no idea what it's like, and NYC doesn't have a truly comparable area.

NXNE is definitely a lot more happening than a regular weekend in NYC. I'm willing to bet that a regular weekend in Toronto compares very favourably to one in NYC in terms of entertainment options.
You haven't really been to New York on a weekend if you are seriously making that statement...

Old 08-24-2011, 06:11 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 905 View Post
If anything, it might be like chi-town on a much, much smaller scale.
Toronto and Chicago are the same size. Downtown Chicago may seem bigger in terms of the density of tall buildings, but outside of the downtown core, Toronto has a much more vibrant neighbourhood scene than Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto