Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 11:10 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto99 View Post
Transfer to a school in Buffalo or a Big Ten school...the girls are much friendlier there. What you are describing was exactly what I went through at U of T 15-20 years ago, it will never change. I was always shocked (still am) at how friendlier American girls are compared to Snobronto (the schools around Southern Ontario are not that much better).
Having spent a lot of time travelling around both Canada and the United States, I can say without doubt that Americans are much more friendly and easier to talk to than Canadians are. I have found that Americans are just as friendly outside their borders as they are within them. While in Ireland in 2008, I met more Americans than any other nationality excuding the Irish themselves.

We used to have a joke where I grew up (east GTA), when an American looks at another American, they nod and say hello. When a Canadian looks at another Canadian, they think "what the f*** are you looking at?"

Old 01-30-2011, 04:15 PM

47 posts, read 90,725 times
The women in Toronto have taken a turn for the worse. I'm an American that was actually married to a woman from Toronto, and when I met her which was about 8 years ago. The women back in that time were so sexy, friendly, warm, and sophisticated. Hence the fact that I married a woman from there, ha ha. When I used to come to visit Toronto, I always had a great time and would easily meet people and especially women. At that time I was really impressed with Canadian women, and Toronto especially. Now not so much, the women in Toronto seem aloof and yes you called it "Flaky". Not sure what happened to them, they lost what they had. And for being a city that the U.S. always over looks and doesn't pay much attention to. That's bad, from the guys I knew back home in the U.S. The only thing they knew about Toronto was they heard that the women were a main attraction. So if that's not a main attraction, then what is Toronto known for now? I guess being cold, and snowy? LOL...

Old 02-10-2011, 07:49 PM

6 posts, read 29,864 times
Noticed the reserved attitude with girls too-huge difference between California. Probably a hangover from british culture. They don't smile, are totally passive-aggressive, and aren't outgoing at all.

Lived in the states most of my life before moving back to Canada. Impossible to meet these Toronto girls with their attitude-i gave up after a few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projekt Kahn View Post
Sorry for the generalization...but yea I'm a young male college student who recently moved from the states...

I'm decently attractive, social, well spoken, well dressed, and attend school here...

While people here are polite and nice, I feel like when you get deeper most are flacky and hardly any actually want to get to really know you...am I the only that feels like this? the women here also seem really uptight, reserved, and flacky as well, esp the ones at my university ...its like you cant even go after them because of their excuses...any info would be helpful

Old 02-11-2011, 06:44 AM

2 posts, read 13,296 times
Default you have just not met the right girl, become friends first...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projekt Kahn View Post
Sorry for the generalization...but yea I'm a young male college student who recently moved from the states...

I'm decently attractive, social, well spoken, well dressed, and attend school here...

While people here are polite and nice, I feel like when you get deeper most are flacky and hardly any actually want to get to really know you...am I the only that feels like this? the women here also seem really uptight, reserved, and flacky as well, esp the ones at my university ...its like you cant even go after them because of their excuses...any info would be helpful
You need to meet the right woman...try being friends first, to know the person, before making judgements

Last edited by Anishara; 02-11-2011 at 06:45 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 02-20-2011, 02:57 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,685 times
now that I'm in Victoria, B.C. for awhile boy does Vancouver ever look uptight!

Old 05-06-2011, 10:28 PM

13 posts, read 78,379 times
Wow, I'm so glad I found this forum and can read everyone's opinions. I'm a female from the GTA and everything you men are complaining about regarding Toronto women is exactly what I and all my other female friends and acquaintances say about the men!!!! I wholeheartedly agree that the men and women in Toronto are so cold and miserable looking and totally unapproachable. Every time I travel to the U.S. or Europe it's like a breath of fresh air, meeting the charming and friendly men and that really puts a smile on my face. I even had a long distance relationship with an American man and it was such a good experience compared to Toronto men. If it weren't for my work and family responsibilities, I would have left Toronto years ago.

I agree with you that Toronto women are unfortunately cold and miserable looking. I'm fairly chatty and friendly, but being in cold, dark Toronto where everyone keeps to themselves makes me a bit miserable too-it's contagious . Why don't we say hello to each other on streets? What gives? I wasn't raised to be like this!!

I think you also need to reflect and think about the men in Toronto. They are equally cold, miserable and sooo unapproachable too. They are the least aggressive men I've ever encountered in my travels. If someone, anyone (even if I weren't attracted to him), were to approach me at a bar or club, I would chat with him and get to know him....but no guy does this. You could go to King West or any other place and the men stay in their packs....and the women stay in their own packs. Everyone is so friggin narcissistic and self-centred. The saddest thing is that the men who do approach us women are narcissistic, game players that so many of us have gotten a guarded, weary look about us and are fearful. The nice guys rarely approach us-only the narcissistic, confident, cocky ones. Also, many women may be a bit shy which comes across as cold.

The men in Toronto are so unapproachable and standoffish that it makes it awkward for us women to approach you guys...and many of us are traditional that way.

I'll tell you about a recent experience at Spice Route a few weeks ago. My friends and I were out (all very attractive) and were being stared down by two guys at the bar ALL NIGHT. My friend couldn't take it anymore (after giving signals she'd like to get to know them by smiling, returning eye contact) so she finally waved at them to come over. You know what? The guys stuck their chins in the air and shook their heads. They motioned us to come over to them....they wanted us to chase them down. I mean the men are so appallingly rude, and classless here. They eventually came over but they wouldn't even talk to us. We were trying everything to make conversation and be friendly but they snubbed us. It didn't make sense as they were watching us like hawks all night. Quite disconcerting. One of them said that he assumed we were getting hit on all night, so he didn't want to be "just another". I didn't understand what he was talking about. Put the ego aside for just a minute. We meant no harm and just wanted to CHAT.

I can go on and on about my experiences with Toronto men. All I can say is that foreign men are funny, witty, intelligent and can carry a conversation without the pressure of instant sex.

If you walk around King West around 1-2am on Saturday night you'll get all sorts of drunk guys walking up to a female asking if he could "eat her out". No joke. Maybe this is why women have become ******* here. Either way, I'm just as sick of Toronto as you, and the gap between the men and women here is getting bigger and bigger. We live in a city of narcissistic men and women...so self-absorbed.

Sigh

Last edited by GTAgirl; 05-06-2011 at 10:37 PM..

Old 05-07-2011, 09:28 AM

398 posts, read 732,589 times
GTAgirl, I think you need to avoid the "club scene" if you want to find decent, well-adjusted guys. If you have to go out to meet guys, try the neighborhood bar type scene, without the loud pumping music and overpriced drinks. More decent guys will be out there. Also, everyone is meeting on the Internet these days, you should consider the dating websites. You'll find better people - people with jobs and lives - than at the clubs. Going out clubbing throws your sleep schedule off so much I can't imagine anyone with a serious professional job being able to do it frequently. So you are left with the bottom feeders.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:41 PM

Thanks for the online dating advice...I've already been there and done that last year and didn't like it at all (worst experience ever). Most people I know (male and female) are having difficulty with online dating too so I know it's not just me. Also, I don't really go out to clubs that often. I like dancing and music so I like to get that fix on occasion. Neighbourhood bars sounds good-I like that as I prefer face to face interaction.

Anyway, right now I'm not "actively" seeking a mate (actually I've totally given up-but I'm not home crying about it, I just figure it's not meant to be, so c'est la vie) and I'm so busy working, family, AND in the middle of a move, that it's occupying most of my time.....and thoughts....

I am content though because I know I'm blessed and lucky, and it could be worse!!

Last edited by GTAgirl; 05-07-2011 at 09:51 PM..

Old 05-08-2011, 12:38 PM

178 posts, read 523,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAgirl View Post
Thanks for the online dating advice...I've already been there and done that last year and didn't like it at all (worst experience ever). Most people I know (male and female) are having difficulty with online dating too so I know it's not just me. Also, I don't really go out to clubs that often. I like dancing and music so I like to get that fix on occasion. Neighbourhood bars sounds good-I like that as I prefer face to face interaction.

Anyway, right now I'm not "actively" seeking a mate (actually I've totally given up-but I'm not home crying about it, I just figure it's not meant to be, so c'est la vie) and I'm so busy working, family, AND in the middle of a move, that it's occupying most of my time.....and thoughts....

I am content though because I know I'm blessed and lucky, and it could be worse!!
Move? I hope you are moving out of Canada! Then you have nothing to worry about in the boys department. lol. Anyway I agree with you. I traveled to US too and I know tons girls /guys in Toronto from my university, they are mostly single except for those who actually latched onto some relationship in their university years. Canadian cities (and people) are the most disconnected I've ever seen. But what can you do? Keep trying is my motto.

There is no point giving up, you are just prolonging the issue. I agree that going online "dating" is a waste of time, you should try out speed dating - I tried 25dates.com and it was pretty fun.

No harm trying an event once a month, Of course, try chatting up people everywhere you go - who cares what they think/reaction they give you.

Last edited by architext; 05-08-2011 at 12:59 PM..

Old 05-08-2011, 07:23 PM

Lol I wish I could move outside of Canada!! I know I would have no worries in the boys department if I left this country (as experience tells me) lol. Unfortunately I can't leave because I'm too set in my career now to upheaval everything...and I have some family responsibilities that limit where I move at this moment in my life :*(. So I'm selling my place and actively looking for my dream home (a nice garden, nice finishings etc.)....a true sign of surrender lol.

I've heard of 25dates but haven't tried it. Did you have any luck with it? I kind of feel too tired to be talking to 25 strangers and asking/answering the same questions over and over again lol.

I agree with you in that I've never seen a bunch of people so disconnected from one another and themselves, my whole life! I'll try to bite the bullet and chat up strangers on the street haha

Also, most of the people I know married/in relationships had met while in high school or University as well and have hung on to that. Go figure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto