Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 09:50 AM

26,808 posts, read 37,843,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahn1 View Post
Nope, you do it because you suffer from the same quintessential insecurity that afflicts most Canadians, and what's not more Canadian than insecurity. The biggest indictment would be to ignore anything related to the city but you don't. Tall poppy syndrome is a national flaw and Canadians do it to Americans all the time, the difference is, Americans just ignore Canada but Canadians just don't feel right unless their expressing their opinions about people and places, even those they profess to "not care about at all".
Bbbut... I never said that Toronto was bad!

But that doesn't mean the shore of Lake Ontario is lined with palm trees. Sorry about that.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:59 AM

701 posts, read 1,896,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

New global ranking confirms Toronto's status as comfortable, not sexy - Posted Toronto (http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/toronto/archive/2009/06/16/new-global-ranking-confirms-toronto-s-status-as-comfortable-not-sexy.aspx - broken link)
This assessment is quite acurate.

Toronto is a nice and easy place to live (except for the winter and 1980's public transit system), but it is NOT exciting, NOT beautiful, and definitely NOT sexy. The so-called "entertainment district" is apparently second or third class for sure from inside to outside. Its shopping scene is not bad, but grossly overpriced compared to any American city.

It is just not fun and extremely overpriced to visit. Who would be stupid enough to pay $30 for the mediocre view on CN tower or pay $24 for ROM, $18 for Casa Loma when you pay 10 Euro for Louvre, maybe $5-10 for the Met and nothing for the British Museum? I always advice my friends to simply skip Toronto, and use the saved time and money to see more of Montreal, where the Canadian fun and excitement really is.

That being said, the city offers a pretty good quality of life for an non-ambitious average person, which is probably I am living here.

No, I don't hate Toronto. I only enjoy mocking at those who think of Toronto as something it doesn't measure up to.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:02 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,002,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
It is just not fun and extremely overpriced to visit. Who would be stupid enough to pay $30 for the mediocre view on CN tower or pay $24 for ROM, $18 for Casa Loma when you pay 10 Euro for Louvre, maybe $5-10 for the Met and nothing for the British Museum? I always advice my friends to simply skip Toronto, and use the saved time and money to see more of Montreal, where the Canadian fun and excitement really is.
I totally agree on the overpricing of the attractions.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:50 AM

4,282 posts, read 15,728,507 times
Mod Note: This type of thread hijacking/trolling has gone on long enough.

Members are certainly free to hold whatever opinions they wish and are even entitled to express them, within TOS boundaries, in appropriate threads.

However, members are not entitled to hijack threads off topic for the purpose of deliberately baiting others in order to get their personal jollies at the expense of having a forum which is productive and rewarding for all users.

As is the norm, this type of behaviour is exhibited by a very small number of members who then suck others into the game. Those few need to recognize that this behaviour is contrary to the Terms of Service and will not be tolerated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.