Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 09:57 AM

701 posts, read 1,900,653 times

Advertisements

I came across this cost of living comparison website and choose Toronto vs Chicago. The results are kind of surprising., althought I am not sure about the accuracy of the data.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Restaurants: similar in general.
Grocery: Toronto is somewhat more expensive
Transportation: Toronto more expensive when using public transit, cheaper on taxi
Utilities: Toronto more expensive on internet and cheaper on gas/electricity
Rent: similar, Toronto a bit pricier.

Then it comes to the shocking part:
Sports & leisure: Toronto more expensive. Gym membership 150% higher!
Clothing: Toronto 2-3 times more expensive (except leather shoes)
Apartment price: downtown Toronto apartment 250% the price of downtown Chicago!

On the good side, Torontonians seem to make more money than Chicagoans, on average.

Last edited by Yac; 02-07-2012 at 05:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 02:07 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,855,640 times
Yup.. simple supply and demand Mr kkgg.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:22 PM

155 posts, read 454,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
Transportation: Toronto more expensive when using public transit, cheaper on taxi
Wow. I would hate to take a taxi in Chicago then. I find the taxi rates in Toronto to be a little ridiculous.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:48 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
I don't trust thought numbers at all. Especially since their Chicago source seemingly doesn't know what oranges or lettuce are. And transit here is $2.25, not $2.28.

If you can find more than a couple mid-range restaurants in Chicago where I can get dinner for two for $40, including tax and tip, I'd be amazed (and appreciative). And if you're not including tax and tip, how woudl it be a fair comparison to Toronto?

And where on earth are they getting a cappachino in Chicago for under $2? 7-11 coffee does not count.

I think you misread the taxi stats. Chicago is clearly, by a very wide margin, cheaper than Toronto for taxis.

And where do they get the mortgage rate. The current rates in Illinois are about 4.25% or lower for prime borrowers.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:09 AM

301 posts, read 1,327,393 times
Compare auto insurance rates too. You'll find that insuring your car in Ontario, even with an excellent driving record, is highway robbery.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:21 AM

120 posts, read 496,415 times
I have lived in Chicago before and Toronto. Chicago's condo market seemed to be more expensive and their suburb housing prices are similar to Toronto's. If push came to shove, I would pick Chicago over Toronto in a second, such a better city in everyway.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:26 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
Wow Toronto must be really expensive to live in going by what the op says

Old 07-23-2012, 07:10 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,731 times
It would be worth the extra to live in Toronto.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:15 PM

242 posts, read 510,853 times
Toronto is a better city. Not saying Chicago is bad, but even with the higher cost of living I would take TO over Chicago any day of the week.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:58 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,599,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
Toronto is a better city. Not saying Chicago is bad, but even with the higher cost of living I would take TO over Chicago any day of the week.

Why would you pick Chicago over Toronto hands down?

I find Toronto has the edge in terms of having a funkier vibe and is more multicultural with more ethnic cheap eats. But Chicago seems better for its cost of living (real estate, taxes, all consumer goods/services), beautiful architecture and city design (downtown, waterfront, and suburbs), history, cultural amenities (world class museums, art galleries, symphonies), sports scene, fine dining (not cheap eat places but top end places), career opportunities (bigger economy/population) and general friendliness of the people. Weather isn’t nothing to write home about in either places and if you don’t go to the South Side or Jane/Finch, crime stats won’t matter much in your daily life. I also think It’s a wash with nightlife, you should not be disappointed in either place unless you are coming from NYC or Miami. Toronto seems to have more dance clubs but Chicago has real deal Blues Clubs.

Both are good cities and there’s probably nothing you can’t find in either place in some form, so I’m curious as to why you would unequivocally choose Toronto, using an objective analysis? Seems like for a lower cost of living (somewhat widened nowadays due to overvalued condos in Toronto), you get a lot more in Chicago than Toronto. They even have an original 6 hockey team!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto