Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2010, 03:24 PM

42 posts, read 75,010 times

Advertisements

In advance, thank everyone for their input. This is probably the first of several question threads I will generate. I also apologize for the length.

My significant other, who grew up in a little town about an hour outside the GTA, has lived in Florida for the past 16 years. I grew up in North Carolina, but have spent my entire adult life in Florida.

We are strongly considering a move to Canada, specifically Toronto. We usually visit Canada yearly to visit her parents, but always during the good weather months. This year we are coming in December to get a taste of the winter weather. We are planning to use this trip to make our final decision over whether we want to start the mountain of paperwork for me to get residency status.

Our reasons are wanting to move are:
1. We miss a change of seasons, especially the crisp fall weather and changing leaves. Florida is paradise, but the never ending heat at some point takes the joy out of paradise.

2. The US is starting to scare me. I survived through the Bush years, but instead of better things seem to be getting worse. Some of those recently elected, especially here in Florida, are ideologically similar to the priests of the Inquisition and the Puritans who burned witches at the stake in colonial Massachusetts.

3. I want to live in an urban environment. I've lived in the 'burbs all my life and spend way too many hours in the car. I want to live in a place where I can walk or take public transit to work.

4. We are a same gender couple. We pay the same taxes and fulfill the same obligations as everyone else, yet we dont' have the same rights. Someone who is on death row for the murder of their spouse has the right to marry in this country. Yet a loving, law abiding same-gender couple does not.

One question that worries me, is the sunshine. Even though the heat gets intolerable, a Floridian becomes accustomed to sunlight every day. I know T.O. goes days on end without the sunlight. Any thoughts of how easily one adjusts to that change?

Any other thoughts and insights would be welcomed. My partner is an RN, so we have so concerns about her ability to find employment. My job, however, is not feasible in Canada due to the differences in requirements. As such, I would also be making a career change. Any thoughts on promising career paths would also be appreciated.

Thanks again for reading and for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 06:17 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,956,563 times
Toronto may be under a cloud bank for days but there is always sunlight.

It's hard to point you on a job path without knowing your educational & work experiences - but Toronto is a head office city & provides one of largest & widest range of job types of any NA city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto