U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: How would you rate the weather of Toronto from your personal experience?
I think the weather's pretty good. Not perfect, but it's good enough. 4 44.44%
I find the weather barely tolerable, but it is tolerable. 4 44.44%
I do not like the weather. It is a pretty big problem for me. 1 11.11%
I extremely dislike the weather so much that I have moved away or am seriously thinking of it. 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 11-07-2013, 08:52 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 12,353,229 times
Reputation: 7742

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschibuola View Post
The poll is closed - but 24 years in Toronto . . .read my "location" line . . . 'nuff said.

The only thing worse than Toronto's winters are its summers . . . humidity is soul-draining.

P.S. Can I pick cities with "interesting" mayors or what?
that only means you are very low tolerance of summers.

I am often surprised by this "oh, Toronto is so humid in the summer" kind of comment. It is silly. Try spend a week in July in New Orleans, Miami, Shanghai, Mumbai, Tokyo and come back to tell him Toronto is so hot and humid is summer.

Except for a few days, Toronto's summer days are very very nice and comfortable. Those whining about humidity should really get some idea what other cities are like in the summer

Hardly any days over 32C a year. For your information, Shanghai registered more than 40 days above 35C this summer, more than 20 above 37, almost always with very high humidity.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-08-2013, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Niagara Falls, ON
1,216 posts, read 1,231,107 times
Reputation: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I am often surprised by this "oh, Toronto is so humid in the summer" kind of comment. It is silly. Try spend a week in July in New Orleans, Miami, Shanghai, Mumbai, Tokyo and come back to tell him Toronto is so hot and humid is summer.

For your information, Shanghai registered more than 40 days above 35C this summer, more than 20 above 37, almost always with very high humidity.
What is your point? A summer in Dubai makes all of the cities you mentioned look comfortable in comparison, the airport had 90 days at or above 35°c this year (accompanied with high humidity).

At the end of the day, a Toronto summer is hot and humid relative to most of the country.

Last edited by Humid Subtropical; 11-08-2013 at 08:52 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2013, 08:49 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 12,353,229 times
Reputation: 7742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humid Subtropical View Post
What is your point? A summer in Dubai makes all of the cities you mentioned look comfortable in comparison, the airport had 90 days at or above 35°c this year (accompanied with high humidity).

At the end of the day, a Toronto summer is hot and humid relative to most of the country.
"rest of the country" is only meaningful to those who has hardly stepped outside the country.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2013, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Niagara Falls, ON
1,216 posts, read 1,231,107 times
Reputation: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
"rest of the country" is only meaningful to those who has hardly stepped outside the country.
If anything, Canadians travel more during the winter months and shoulder seasons. Four of the examples you provided are cooler in the winter on average than Toronto is during the summer.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2013, 09:55 AM
 
35,318 posts, read 45,300,059 times
Reputation: 30827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humid Subtropical View Post

At the end of the day, a Toronto summer is hot and humid relative to most of the country.
Toronto may have a few days in the summer that could qualify as hot and humid, Coming from Florida where every day from March to December is hot and humid i'd have to say Toronto has a very mild climate in the summer.


While this travel chart claims Toronto as having warm and humid summers its a relative term as average temps never go over 30C.

http://weatherspark.com/averages/281...Ontario-Canada

Last edited by jambo101; 11-08-2013 at 10:16 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2013, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Niagara Falls, ON
1,216 posts, read 1,231,107 times
Reputation: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I am often surprised by this "oh, Toronto is so humid in the summer" kind of comment. It is silly.
Why wouldn't somebody comment on the humidity when they have to fall asleep at night with no AC? Or somebody who has to wait in a suit on a subway station that is 10°c hotter than outside, only to show up to work drenched in sweat? People are bound to complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Toronto may have a few days in the summer that could qualify as hot and humid, Coming from Florida where every day from March to December is hot and humid i'd have to say Toronto has a very mild climate in the summer.
A summer in Toronto is more humid on average than most Canadian cities, and after a long winter it can feel uncomfortable for some. What somebody else thinks is hot in another country is irrelevant. A person from Muscat would find the climate of Orlando mild too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
While this travel chart claims Toronto as having warm and humid summers its a relative term as average temps never go over 30C.
Plenty of tropical climates do not average 30°c in any month.

Hilo, Hawaii - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2013, 11:54 AM
 
Location: San Diego via Orange County via Toronto via Rome Italy
390 posts, read 701,044 times
Reputation: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
that only means you are very low tolerance of summers.

I am often surprised by this "oh, Toronto is so humid in the summer" kind of comment. It is silly. Try spend a week in July in New Orleans, Miami, Shanghai, Mumbai, Tokyo and come back to tell him Toronto is so hot and humid is summer.

Except for a few days, Toronto's summer days are very very nice and comfortable. Those whining about humidity should really get some idea what other cities are like in the summer

Hardly any days over 32C a year. For your information, Shanghai registered more than 40 days above 35C this summer, more than 20 above 37, almost always with very high humidity.

Actually . . . I have a very HIGH tolerance for summers . . .that's why I now live in Southern California. But you are half-right . . . I have almost zero-tolerance for humidity. I remember days in Toronto when it was an on-paper-pleasant 20C . . .but with high humidity. I didn't like it. I'm a little sad for you that you associate "summers" with "humidity." It doesn't have to be so.

And before we go face-palming everyone and saying it's silly to suggest Toronto has unpleasant humidity, I never said Toronto has the worst humidity on the planet . . .haven't been to Mumbai, but I've been to Florida and Texas enough . . . though I'd say the absolute-worst humidity was a July week in Oklahoma . . I walked out of the air-conditioned airport and my glasses instantly fogged over . . that never happened in Toronto.

But the original poll was . . .is Toronto weather objectionable enough that you would consider moving. In my case - it wasn't the only reason . . it was a good career opportunity . . .but yes the weather was a factor.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2013, 01:20 PM
 
35,318 posts, read 45,300,059 times
Reputation: 30827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humid Subtropical View Post

A summer in Toronto is more humid on average than most Canadian cities, and after a long winter it can feel uncomfortable for some. What somebody else thinks is hot in another country is irrelevant. A person from Muscat would find the climate of Orlando mild too.

Plenty of tropical climates do not average 30°c in any month.

Hilo, Hawaii - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Toronto is a very southern city by Canadian standards so of course its going to be hotter than other places in Canada,.
Also this temperature inconvenience you attribute to Toronto is a very subjective point of view,in your opinion Toronto is oppressively hot and humid all summer,i dont agree and find Toronto's weather rather moderate all summer,
Little islands out in the middle of the Pacific would have their average temperatures moderated substantially by the surrounding water temperature.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2013, 02:22 PM
pdw
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
1,473 posts, read 2,135,323 times
Reputation: 865
I think the real reason Southern Ontario and Quebec's summers feel so hot are because of the long, cold winter and chilly spring leading up to it. To me, June always feels hotter than August, even though it's actually cooler. Even 17-18 degrees can feel hot sometimes to me, if I've recently grown expectant of colder temperatures. I wonder if somewhere with less season variation in temperature might never feel hot or cold to the people living there?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2013, 05:53 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 12,353,229 times
Reputation: 7742
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschibuola View Post
Actually . . . I have a very HIGH tolerance for summers . . .that's why I now live in Southern California.
Well, San Diego probably has THE most perfect climate on the planet if you like warm winter and cool summers. I don't know any city that can beat it in terms of weather (unless you like distinct four seasons, that's a different matter).

But in general, compared with most large cities in the world, Toronto's summers are pretty pleasant.

[When I talk about cities, I never put anything under the "Canadian standard". It means absolutely nothing for me. So this is especially true in terms of weather talk. Even Vancouver's weather is considered good in Canada, when Seattle is generally thought to have pretty miserable weather. ]
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top