Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you rate the weather of Toronto from your personal experience?
I think the weather's pretty good. Not perfect, but it's good enough. 4 44.44%
I find the weather barely tolerable, but it is tolerable. 4 44.44%
I do not like the weather. It is a pretty big problem for me. 1 11.11%
I extremely dislike the weather so much that I have moved away or am seriously thinking of it. 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 06:05 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,089,719 times

Advertisements

I don't get what's so great about San Diego's weather that makes people treat it like the indisputable best climate in the world. It's not as if the winter there is comfortable enough to go to the beach or wear a t-shirt and shorts or anything, so what makes it better than a full-blown winter? I'm not saying anyone is wrong, this is just my perspective. You're entitled to your opinion and I respect it. To each his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 08:36 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,714,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I don't get what's so great about San Diego's weather that makes people treat it like the indisputable best climate in the world. It's not as if the winter there is comfortable enough to go to the beach or wear a t-shirt and shorts or anything, so what makes it better than a full-blown winter? I'm not saying anyone is wrong, this is just my perspective. You're entitled to your opinion and I respect it. To each his own.
because most people do not like full-blown winter? What's so good about full-blown winters?

You may not be swimming in January in San Diego, but you can pretty much do any outdoor sports, basketball, tennis, rollerskating, isn't that great? You don't have to put on layers after layers, do not need heating, do not need winter tires, do not need to dig snow.

Don't tell me you can ski and skate in the winter. First ski is not available in any major city in Canada - you have to drive a couple of hours to a mountain to do so. Skate? people skate only because they can't do any other sports.

Let's not deny it, a full blown winter is more of a inconvenience than adding any excitement. Human bodies are most comfortable within the certain temperature range, and I am sure San Diego's temperature largely falls into that, and I am also sure -15 or -20 doesn't fall into that range.

Canadians often say they like the winter, only to show some "national pride". If they do love winter so much, why all the snow birds? Why travel to the Caribbean in winter? Why isn't it a tradition for Canadians to fly to somewhere arctic to enjoy colder temperature?

Most people prefer mild temperature, and most people do not like Canadian winters.
Yeah, 20C San Diego winter beats -10C Toronto ones any year.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:54 PM

Location: San Diego via Orange County via Toronto via Rome Italy
390 posts, read 794,847 times
Quote:
Well - it's true San Diego isn't tropical - the only people in shorts and flip-flops on our beaches in the winter are the Canadians! We do get several days of "Santa Ana" winds (aka siroccos) that can cause temps to spike to as high as 30c even in deepest February. but the typical day gets up to the 15-20 range - and the low humidity means no "heat blanket" so the mornings and evenings are definitely sweater weather. And the water is COLD by any standard - full wetsuit stuff.

Still - here's a news story of a beach Christmas Day potluck - this is pretty indicative of the weather at the beach in winter - still a tad bit more pleasant than shoveling snow, IMO.

Christmas beach block party - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com

Having said all that - I'm bringing the family up to T.O. for Christmas this year and looking forward to the weather - even after 20 years down here there's something just not right about a mild, snowless Christmas. Plus it'll be a hoot to see my born-and-raised California daughters get a taste of real winter!

Old 11-08-2013, 10:18 PM

Location: San Diego via Orange County via Toronto via Rome Italy
390 posts, read 794,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

But in general, compared with most large cities in the world, Toronto's summers are pretty pleasant.
oh, yeah - no argument there. Running my finger down e.g. Wikipedia's list of largest world cities, other than LA I'm hard-pressed to find another city on the list with what I'd consider more pleasant summer weather. Moscow, maybe - no idea? But I'd for SURE take a Toronto winter over Moscow's any day!

Old 11-09-2013, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschibuola View Post
oh, yeah - no argument there. Running my finger down e.g. Wikipedia's list of largest world cities, other than LA I'm hard-pressed to find another city on the list with what I'd consider more pleasant summer weather. Moscow, maybe - no idea? But I'd for SURE take a Toronto winter over Moscow's any day!
I lived in LA for a few years, and the summer there is not as pleasant as it looks on paper.

There is low humidity, but the sun really burns and is always glaring. When you leave your car under the sun for a couple of hours, you can't even touch the steering wheel when you return as it will be scorching. The extra dry air sometimes makes my nose feel a bit uncomfortable, especially in the afternoon. An odd feeling.

Unless you live close to the pacific ocean, like Santa Monica or West LA, the inland, even 30 minutes drive to the east, gets increasingly hot. Temperature over 35 even in Oct/Nov is not rare.

I like LA's fall and winter way more than the summer.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschibuola View Post

Having said all that - I'm bringing the family up to T.O. for Christmas this year and looking forward to the weather - even after 20 years down here there's something just not right about a mild, snowless Christmas. Plus it'll be a hoot to see my born-and-raised California daughters get a taste of real winter!
Toronto very rarely have a white Christmas. Last time it happened was 2008, I think.
If you want a snowy winter, you gotta go 50 miles north of Toronto. North of the 401, it gets a lot snowy. Downtown, but so much. Days the ground is covered with snow is limited.

I have a feeling that this winter will be mild and less snowy.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:45 AM
pdw

You bring up some good points about San Diego's weather. I suppose they can do certain outdoor activities that we can't during winter. We have outdoor sports that they can't do, though, so it evens things out.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:31 AM

1,231 posts, read 1,387,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
This temperature inconvenience you attribute to Toronto is a very subjective point of view,in your opinion Toronto is oppressively hot and humid all summer,i dont agree and find Toronto's weather rather moderate all summer,
Little islands out in the middle of the Pacific would have their average temperatures moderated substantially by the surrounding water temperature
I never said that I find Toronto oppressively hot and humid all summer, take the time to actually read my posts. All because a person who has lived in Florida thinks a Toronto summer mild in comparison, doesn't suddenly make a Torontonian feel comfortable when they find it unpleasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
While this travel chart claims Toronto as having warm and humid summers its a relative term as average temps never go over 30C.
Speaking of subjective lol. Since when is an average monthly high of 30°c a rule in determining if a place is 'warm and humid'? Your guideline has been met in the past, like in 2011: Daily Data

Old 11-09-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
You bring up some good points about San Diego's weather. I suppose they can do certain outdoor activities that we can't during winter. We have outdoor sports that they can't do, though, so it evens things out.
2 or 3 winter sports don't even out all kinds of other sports.

Not just sports. In mild winter, people can go hiking in the park, hold outdoor festivals, eat in restaurant patios, etc and etc. It is the freedom of doing anything outdoor under comfortable natural temperature.

Why can't you admit freezing winters in general suck and one or two "winter sports" don't make it so much better? I boggles my mind that people like you insist that days of -15C are actually making Toronto more interesting. They don't, and people are trying to bear with them, not enjoying them.

You may talk about winter sports or white Christmas all you want. But I am sure 99% of people on the earth would rather walk into 15C to work on a typical January morning than all bundle up with layers, scarves, gloves, hats and then walk into the -15C air with 5 inches of soggy snow on the ground. Winter sports are what people deliberately invented to have a little bit of fun in miserable weather to that they are not stuck indoors 24/7. Got it?

Cold winters suck. People who claim they prefer Toronto winter to San Diego winter are just kidding themselves. Human bodies are built in the same way that we always prefer mild temperature ranging from 10C to 25C. There are personal preferences, but hardly anyone would love extreme heat or coldness, such as anything below 0 or above 35C.

Why do you think people use heating in the winter or AC in the summer? because natural temperature is not ideal. if you love cold winter that much, why not stop heating your house this winter to prove your point? Instead, you heat to 24-26C, just like what it is like in San Diego

Old 11-09-2013, 11:41 AM
pdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Why do you think people use heating in the winter or AC in the summer? because natural temperature is not ideal. if you love cold winter that much, why not stop heating your house this winter to prove your point? Instead, you heat to 24-26C, just like what it is like in San Diego
In the winter I normally heat it to about 18, but I understand your point. To each their own. I like the change in seasons, and I enjoy winter sports, so maybe I'm biased to a certain extent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto