Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 01:24 AM

9 posts, read 31,117 times

Advertisements

Irish girl (mid-20's currently living in Hong Kong) considering the 12-month Canada visa program. I'm a fluent French speaker and love the French language and culture, have a strong media / publishing and education background and would do anything to start off although I'm quite ambitious - would either Toronto or Montréal be for me? Honesty would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 05:18 AM

398 posts, read 732,523 times
I don't know what the 12-month Canada visa program is, but with your fluent French and some higher education and work experience, you would probably have no problem qualifying for the Quebec provincial nominee certificate for skilled worker immigration, so that's something to keep in mind. If you love the French language then Montreal would be a good choice. You'll be able to find a job in Montreal since you speak French and the cost of housing is lower there too. Toronto is the center of English-language culture in Canada. There are more jobs in Toronto and it's a bigger city. It's also warmer than Montreal (but both are very cold in the winter). Your best bet is to visit both cities and see which one you prefer.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
I don't know what the 12-month Canada visa program is, but with your fluent French and some higher education and work experience, you would probably have no problem qualifying for the Quebec provincial nominee certificate for skilled worker immigration, so that's something to keep in mind. If you love the French language then Montreal would be a good choice. You'll be able to find a job in Montreal since you speak French and the cost of housing is lower there too. Toronto is the center of English-language culture in Canada. There are more jobs in Toronto and it's a bigger city. It's also warmer than Montreal (but both are very cold in the winter). Your best bet is to visit both cities and see which one you prefer.

Thanks so much for your response, it has really helped me out! The 12-month visa is an agreement for under-35's in Ireland and the UK to travel to Canada and work unrestricted for that time period, I wasn't aware of the Quebec provincial nominee certificate at all and appreciate that.

It's difficult when I've never been to Canada but I would love to try living there for a while, I'm currently in Asia and it's not for me long-term.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:25 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
You might want to consider Ottawa; it's a split between Anglo/Franco culture and located so as to allow easy travel to either Toronto or Montreal.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:26 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
I think you would do fine in Montreal. Some people may actually find you to be cool oddity (in the positive sense) as a person from Ireland who is fluent in French.

Although Montreal and Quebec in general have many native French speakers who are of Irish origin and have names like Pierre Flynn and Jacques Quinn. But these are people whose families have been here for generations.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think you would do fine in Montreal. Some people may actually find you to be cool oddity (in the positive sense) as a person from Ireland who is fluent in French.

Although Montreal and Quebec in general have many native French speakers who are of Irish origin and have names like Pierre Flynn and Jacques Quinn. But these are people whose families have been here for generations.
That is amazing that the Irish surnames have carried so far and I understand what you mean! I actually feel as French as I do Irish

Old 11-22-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
You might want to consider Ottawa; it's a split between Anglo/Franco culture and located so as to allow easy travel to either Toronto or Montreal.
I never thought of Ottawa, thanks! It's hard to know much when I haven't been to Canada

Old 11-23-2010, 07:30 PM

398 posts, read 732,523 times
The only problem with Ottawa is that it's kind of a boring city compared to Montreal or even Toronto. It's much smaller and there just isn't really much there besides the federal government, some nice museums and parks, and a pretty tame nightlife scene. It could be a good place to live and raise a family but I would imagine someone coming from Ireland would find it a lot more interesting living in Montreal which has many interesting neighbourhoods to explore. Montreal also has plenty of anglo culture, the Westmount area and the suburbs on the West Island are majority anglo.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
The only problem with Ottawa is that it's kind of a boring city compared to Montreal or even Toronto. It's much smaller and there just isn't really much there besides the federal government, some nice museums and parks, and a pretty tame nightlife scene. It could be a good place to live and raise a family but I would imagine someone coming from Ireland would find it a lot more interesting living in Montreal which has many interesting neighbourhoods to explore. Montreal also has plenty of anglo culture, the Westmount area and the suburbs on the West Island are majority anglo.

Thanks! Yes Montréal is what I am aiming for, as long as there is work there, Europe is in such a mess.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:32 AM

304 posts, read 1,425,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickcat View Post
Thanks! Yes Montréal is what I am aiming for, as long as there is work there, Europe is in such a mess.
If you'd like clickcat, I have an Irish mate who can give you 'the craic' on relocating here. He worked mostly in Montréal (trilingual English/Irish/French) but also Halifax and Toronto. He'd still be here if it weren't for his numerous visa difficulties! PM me if you're interested, I'm sure he'd help you out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto