Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 10:44 PM

163 posts, read 628,420 times

Advertisements

Cathedraltown
Cathedraltown, Ontario - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 12:06 PM

21 posts, read 184,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterribleone View Post
Markham. Bigger with more amenities.
Can you please elaborate on which amenities?

Old 01-07-2011, 12:58 PM

Also any comments with respect to the people in each?

I know the demographics are similar (although Markham is more affluent).

I've spent some time in Vaughan, and I found the people to be rude and unfriendly. I know a guy from Thornhill (Vaughan) and says that Markham is a much friendlier community. He said Richmond Hill is similar to Vaughan.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:03 PM

163 posts, read 628,420 times
same kind of people in all those cities.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:31 PM

Any opinions on the Jefferson Forest area of Richmond Hill?

It seems to offer a lot of green space and more rural feel than newer areas in Markham. The drawback seems to be it's further from major retail areas.

What is traffic like in this area to get to 404 during rush hour, compared to the Berczy Village area. The housing developments in this area seem quite spread out, with a fairly disconnected major road network. Just wondering how busy it actually was...

Old 01-24-2011, 10:13 PM

49 posts, read 547,079 times
I know you had specifically requested info on Markham/RH but I would like you to consider Oakville. They have an excellent school system and have the highest number of private schools per capita in all of Canada. Some of those excellent private schools start at PreK. Depends on how old your little one is. Toronto people might say Oakville is a bit on the pricey side but if you are coming from VanCity such prices will sound like a steal.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:21 PM

Oakville has always been our first choice, by a significant margin, but the commute to Don Mills / Eglinton area makes it a non-starter. Also we have family in York Region - which would help with alternative child care and such.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:44 PM

536 posts, read 1,429,255 times
I think both are nice. Richmond Hill I think is more central east-west wise, but Markham is so close to the 404 which gets you to the 401 or even into the city via DVP.

I liked Markham when I was there 10 years ago. Unionville is nice, lots of stores on 7 and 16th. My favourite super market was Longo's at 16th and Warden (?). Markville mall was very nice too, although quite empty, not sure if it survived, it seemed quite dead most days.

I actually worked on Riviera drive, east of Woodbine just below 16th. Very nice, tree-lined industrial park area. All along Woodbine south of there lots of restos and services down to Steeles. That was my favourite work location of all the jobs I had in T.O.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:32 PM

4 posts, read 21,924 times
Hey, I actually live in the southern border of richmond hill and go to school at unionville, markham. Both suburbs are extremely safe and violent crimes are uncommon.

First off, markham has more than twice the population if rh and a much larger area. There are plenty of retail and business located along hwy 7, including markville mall, and pacific mall; huge area packed with Asian merchandise and popular bubble tea. Tip: dont be shocked to see tons of Chinese words around town, this place is filled with them. Great place to dine.

Richmond hill, is quite similar to markham, you will find everything on younge street, as long as you dont live any more north than perhaps Elgin mills.

If you commute and work in downtown toronto, traffic is a huge issue. It would be best if you consider taking the go train (gta rail system) with routes one in rh and one in markham. Good news though, Toronto is considering to expand their subway up to rh , around hwy 7. But I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

If you have questions please ask me!

Old 02-06-2011, 11:25 PM

^ Good info, thanks.

I actually plan on coming to town in the next few weeks to find a home and have pretty much decided on Markham, specifically the newer areas on the north side (between Kennedy and Highway 48/Main St). I know this area is somewhat further than areas closer to Woodbine/Warden etc, but the home prices seem somewhat lower and I like the planned community feel in some of the newer areas, so assuming it's not way out of the way it would be our first choice.

How is traffic on Major Mackenzie getting to 404 during rush hour?

I'm commuting to Don Mills and Eglinton area, and was told take Major Mac - 404 - Sheppard - Don Mills would be my best commuting route, and likely take 45 minutes.

Can anyone provide some insight into this? Unfortunately Go or TTC is not an option as I'll require a vehicle as I'll be mobile many days as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto