U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-10-2010, 09:34 PM
 
4 posts, read 22,305 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi all,

So I start a new job at Yonge-Finch in January, and am currently looking at places in Toronto. I'd like to keep my commute time to no more than 30-35 minutes-ish... maaaybe 40 mins. (currently my commute time as it stands, one-way, would be around 1.5-2 hours. Yikes is right.) Note: I don't have a car.

So a nice, modern condo near a subway line (no more than 5-6 min walk) would be ideal. I'm looking at finding a random roommate to do a room-share with, or living on my own again (another dilemma I have). I'm a mid-twenties single male, young professional. I don't "go out" a whole lot, maybe clubbing once or twice a month, and just drinks/restaurants with friends once or twice a week or so.

I'm considering the following areas:

1) Downtown core - Somewhere close to King, Queen, Dundas, College, or Bloor Station. Pros: I'd be in the thick of all the action. Cons: I'd be far from work and need to TTC every day... I think it's somewhere around 30-35 minutes.

2) Uptown (North York) - Yonge/Sheppard. Pros: I'd be very close to work (about a 20-min walk or a 5-min subway ride), but not close enough that I can see my office building from my apartment window. I'm oriental, so wouldn't have any problem with the demographic in the area. Cons: I'd be far from downtown... and the subway ride down to the core just to go out and do things might deter me from actually doing things (especially in this weather), haha. Not a whole lot of action at Yonge-Sheppard from what I've seen.

Anyone with any thoughts? Any personal experiences with this same kind of situation? To me right now, either option is much more appealing than my current 1.5-hour commute into the city, so I'm having trouble weighing the marginal benefits between my two choices (since either one would make me much better off).

Thanks everyone!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-11-2010, 09:25 AM
 
229 posts, read 658,290 times
Reputation: 185
How about Midtown (yonge and Eglinton to st.clair)? You'll be right in midpoint.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2010, 10:17 AM
 
4 posts, read 22,305 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatashaH View Post
How about Midtown (yonge and Eglinton to st.clair)? You'll be right in midpoint.
Yeah it's an option but I'd prefer one of the other two areas personally.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2010, 11:04 AM
 
Location: 3rd rock from the sun
3,858 posts, read 6,568,047 times
Reputation: 1814
Quote:
so I'm having trouble weighing the marginal benefits between my two choices
Then it will come down to the specific apartments you are viewing - rent, square footage, amenities, aesthetics, and distance to subway and supermarket.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 03:13 PM
 
2 posts, read 6,530 times
Reputation: 10
Why do yuppies insist on moving into generational Torontonian neighbourhoods? It's the yuppie phenomenon who are slowy destroying the disctinct and unique aspects of our city. Slowly "suburbanizing" our innercity neighbourhoods. The Beaches, Danforth, Parkdale, Corktown, Little Italy & Portugal. These neighbourhoods were once filled with families that settled here in the 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s, we all knew each other, there was a real community aspect! What do you people want? My family and friends have been in the downtown core since they came from Greece and we owned a neighbourhood deli, now there are very few people left that I know. Old buildings which I think were beautiful are now destroyed for tacky looking townhomes and highrise condo's! Yuppies and university kids come move in now and have the nerve to call it their neighbourhood and are quick to use the term, Torontontonian! I say nay to this, does anyone feel my anger?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 07:39 PM
 
705 posts, read 1,781,042 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGunGary View Post
Why do yuppies insist on moving into generational Torontonian neighbourhoods? It's the yuppie phenomenon who are slowy destroying the disctinct and unique aspects of our city. Slowly "suburbanizing" our innercity neighbourhoods. The Beaches, Danforth, Parkdale, Corktown, Little Italy & Portugal. These neighbourhoods were once filled with families that settled here in the 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s, we all knew each other, there was a real community aspect! What do you people want? My family and friends have been in the downtown core since they came from Greece and we owned a neighbourhood deli, now there are very few people left that I know. Old buildings which I think were beautiful are now destroyed for tacky looking townhomes and highrise condo's! Yuppies and university kids come move in now and have the nerve to call it their neighbourhood and are quick to use the term, Torontontonian! I say nay to this, does anyone feel my anger?
with that mentality you are probably better off living in a never changing small town, rather than a major city with 6 million people.
you want to live in the largest city of the country and still dream of knowing everyone in the neighbourhood and hate highrises? There is nothing wrong with the place, you are just in the wrong place.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 07:50 PM
 
705 posts, read 1,781,042 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by den85 View Post
Hi all,

So I start a new job at Yonge-Finch in January, and am currently looking at places in Toronto. I'd like to keep my commute time to no more than 30-35 minutes-ish... maaaybe 40 mins. (currently my commute time as it stands, one-way, would be around 1.5-2 hours. Yikes is right.) Note: I don't have a car.

So a nice, modern condo near a subway line (no more than 5-6 min walk) would be ideal. I'm looking at finding a random roommate to do a room-share with, or living on my own again (another dilemma I have). I'm a mid-twenties single male, young professional. I don't "go out" a whole lot, maybe clubbing once or twice a month, and just drinks/restaurants with friends once or twice a week or so.

I'm considering the following areas:

1) Downtown core - Somewhere close to King, Queen, Dundas, College, or Bloor Station. Pros: I'd be in the thick of all the action. Cons: I'd be far from work and need to TTC every day... I think it's somewhere around 30-35 minutes.

2) Uptown (North York) - Yonge/Sheppard. Pros: I'd be very close to work (about a 20-min walk or a 5-min subway ride), but not close enough that I can see my office building from my apartment window. I'm oriental, so wouldn't have any problem with the demographic in the area. Cons: I'd be far from downtown... and the subway ride down to the core just to go out and do things might deter me from actually doing things (especially in this weather), haha. Not a whole lot of action at Yonge-Sheppard from what I've seen.

Anyone with any thoughts? Any personal experiences with this same kind of situation? To me right now, either option is much more appealing than my current 1.5-hour commute into the city, so I'm having trouble weighing the marginal benefits between my two choices (since either one would make me much better off).

Thanks everyone!
I would live in North York if I were you, for the following reasons.

1) you need to get to work every day, but you don't need bars every night. It is better being closer to work than to the fun.
2) TTC is the most unreliable transportation I have ever seen in any major city. I have a friend who lives in North York and works downtown, and he complains about it ALL THE TIME because there is always delays, i mean regularly.
3) Your bucks go much further in North York. downtown condos are expensive, and tiny. You might end up paying $1500 for a 500sf box.
4) Don't know if you like Asian food. As I can tell you, Asian food in downtown is horrendous, I mean those normal places that we can afford. There is practically no good Chinese food, Japanese food in downtown, period. There is some in Ktown, but that's not strictly downtown. In North York, you have much more and better choices.
5) Plus, downtown is not really that "happening". The so-called "entertainment district" is not impressive at all.

Unarguable, downtown has the perks of being close to everything, shopping, trendy restaurants etc, but as I said, it is not something you need on a daily basis.

I am Asian and I live in the very center of the town (5 minutes to City Hall), and I wish my office is in North York and I can live there instead of here.

Hope it is helpful to you decision.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2011, 11:14 PM
 
4,282 posts, read 15,134,498 times
Reputation: 3981
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGunGary View Post
Why do yuppies insist on moving into generational Torontonian neighbourhoods? It's the yuppie phenomenon who are slowy destroying the disctinct and unique aspects of our city. Slowly "suburbanizing" our innercity neighbourhoods. The Beaches, Danforth, Parkdale, Corktown, Little Italy & Portugal. These neighbourhoods were once filled with families that settled here in the 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s, we all knew each other, there was a real community aspect! What do you people want? My family and friends have been in the downtown core since they came from Greece and we owned a neighbourhood deli, now there are very few people left that I know. Old buildings which I think were beautiful are now destroyed for tacky looking townhomes and highrise condo's! Yuppies and university kids come move in now and have the nerve to call it their neighbourhood and are quick to use the term, Torontontonian! I say nay to this, does anyone feel my anger?

Gee, I'll bet the folks who lived in the area when your immigrant family moved in had similar concerns.

Change is the only constant in life.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2011, 01:22 PM
 
147 posts, read 299,113 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGunGary View Post
Why do yuppies insist on moving into generational Torontonian neighbourhoods? It's the yuppie phenomenon who are slowy destroying the disctinct and unique aspects of our city. Slowly "suburbanizing" our innercity neighbourhoods. The Beaches, Danforth, Parkdale, Corktown, Little Italy & Portugal. These neighbourhoods were once filled with families that settled here in the 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s, we all knew each other, there was a real community aspect! What do you people want? My family and friends have been in the downtown core since they came from Greece and we owned a neighbourhood deli, now there are very few people left that I know. Old buildings which I think were beautiful are now destroyed for tacky looking townhomes and highrise condo's! Yuppies and university kids come move in now and have the nerve to call it their neighbourhood and are quick to use the term, Torontontonian! I say nay to this, does anyone feel my anger?
Tell that to the Red Indians.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2011, 02:09 PM
 
536 posts, read 1,358,961 times
Reputation: 411
As much as my cultural, urban and architectural tastes and preferences align with those of TwoGunGary's (in this context, at least), I am afraid that is the reality nowadays. The housing market and demographic pressures make it so, so we all have to deal with the transience of today's neighbourhoods. This is the case in every major city.

To the OP, I always liked High Park area, north of Bloor. I lived in the Runnymede/Annette area, a very short walk to the Runnymede station on the Bloor/Danforth line.

I also lived near Bathurst/Eglinton. North of Lawrence it becomes a little ugly imo, east a bit it is even nicer, especially around Avenue. I was close to the Glencairn station along the Allen expwy, nice area, short commute to the core, and pretty close to Yonge/Eglinton which is pretty happening.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top