Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 05:16 PM

7 posts, read 23,775 times

Advertisements

Hi,

First of all, New to the forum so please direct me to the appropriate / sub-forum or thread if I misdirected the question

Over the last weekend I visited a townhome at Lawrence Avenue East and Kennedy Road. The said property was near the Scarborough RT.

Enquiries at work had mixed opinions. Some like the area due to the connectivity and some are not sure of the safety of the neighborhood.

If any of you could throw some light on the area it would be great, I am looking for information on

- Crime
- Safety to head out at night
- Are we close to any trouble spots?
- How safe is going through the subway/RT at night time?

Frankly we loved the house but there is always more to a home than the inside so we can do better with all the opinions..

Cheers and thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 01:08 PM

325 posts, read 1,033,329 times
Area is kind of sketchy to be honest. I think it's cheaper but it's definitely more questionable. Not out and out dangerous, but there's a lot of public housing / apartment buildings in that part of town and a definite rough around the edges to it. Basically once you get past Victoria Park on lawrence east the neighbourhood definitely takes a turn. Better than Eglinton and Don Mills, but there's a world of difference between Lawrence and Kennedy and Lawrence and Don Mills.

Note: I'm not slagging anyone who lives in apartment buildings. Just that proximity to them tends to drag down property values of single family homes.

Source: We live at Lawrence Avenue East, just past DVP (Underhill).

Old 01-20-2011, 01:15 PM

7 posts, read 23,775 times
AlsoNotMe,

Thanks for the response. Yeah I am in the mood of dropping that lead too, I am at Wynford Dr right now and definitely the area seemed different than here.

In addition, a few others pointed out to the proximity to the electric grid in that area, there is a debate out on safe vs non-safe but we are thinking we do not want to be the one's experimenting.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:30 AM

301 posts, read 1,323,397 times
Don't let some public housing scare you off the Kennedy and Lawrence area. I know the area well. Sure, it's not the prettiest part of Scarborough. The highrise buildings look crummy and the never ending strip plazas aren't that endearing either, but the likelyhood of you being a victim of crime while going about your daily business is very slim---countless law abiding citizens in that area do just that everyday---problem free.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:39 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,833,255 times
Although central Scarborough might not be the safest part in the East end... there's definitely far worse areas in the city. Check out this website for all TTC related things:

Kennedy and Lawrence - MyTTC

To be honest if you're looking into purchasing one of the bungalows in the area you should be perfectly fine. It's just the apartment slums you have to worry about; where the drug dealers and gangs breed.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:09 PM

325 posts, read 1,033,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Although central Scarborough might not be the safest part in the East end... there's definitely far worse areas in the city. Check out this website for all TTC related things:

Kennedy and Lawrence - MyTTC

To be honest if you're looking into purchasing one of the bungalows in the area you should be perfectly fine. It's just the apartment slums you have to worry about; where the drug dealers and gangs breed.
Guys, remember it's not a contest of if there are worse areas in the city in which to live.There are, no question. The OP however is asking about the area in relation to buying in the neighbourhood. And I think that you have to look at things from a location POV and from a location POV and for the money that I know these houses go for anyway, for a little bit more I think the OP can find a nicer neighbourhood with better resale and investment values and should keep looking.

In other words, that there are worse neighbourhoods is irrelevant because I wouldn't recommend investing in those areas either.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,982 times
Hi, sold my parents home in Newmarket. It is costly because of development. Prices have gone up. Newmarket is moving fast towards changes. Lived there since 2005. It is safe but changing. Crime is every where. I am single, no kids. I did put some money down on a condo unit in Barrie. But scared because of the job situation. More jobs in the city. But the condo fees went up close to one hundred dollars. Barrie is nice country air still but if there is no jobs then your in trouble. I am looking at condos off Kennedy east. How is the crime? Reading the posts always change. The drivers in Newmarket are very aggressive that makes this town people little nervous. Like to use the public transit to go into Toronto. Is there any alternatives to purchasing a condo for 120-160 thousand dollar range? In an area where you can make it to your unit in one piece during shift work? May have to move around from word of mouth like most people do. Do not want to make that mistake of purchasing the property up north. Then moving down to Toronto. I put a deposit but the lawyer said I can get it back.Please and thanks any good input please keep negative input to a low level.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:33 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,668,998 times
I must be the bravest person in the city. This area is not a big deal. I walk around these places all the time as a woman alone day and night. Never had any trouble. I agree appartment complexs are more of a concern, but I am not aware of any specific concerns in this area. There are several restaurants and stores around there. There are some really great public community centres and swimming pools too. Ribbest Fest at Roy Thompson Park in the summer too. I live in south east Scarborough and I is not as bad as other parts of the city. I think north west Toronto is much worse. Scarborough has a lot going for it. I totally think people over play crime in Scarborough. I would say a little more south in Scarborough tends to have better ttc access ex Kennedy station and 2 go train stations off of Eglintion East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto