U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 11:48 AM

24,517 posts, read 30,852,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Sure, but it’s still not right on the border.
It's also way too far and long (especially factoring in the border hassle) for many American residents to have "day jobs" in Toronto, which is what one poster was alleging.

In realistic terms, basically "no one" lives in WNY and commutes to and from a job in Toronto.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 09:30 PM

1,692 posts, read 934,692 times
Quote:
No, Toronto is about an hour and a half from the border.
But there is almost nothing on the US side when you get there. Toronto is 4 hours from a border crossing point leading to a city with good population size, and it's the Canadians who cross to go work there. The currency does not make it interesting for Americans to work in Canada and live in the US.

Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
But there is almost nothing on the US side when you get there. Toronto is 4 hours from a border crossing point leading to a city with good population size, and it's the Canadians who cross to go work there. The currency does not make it interesting for Americans to work in Canada and live in the US.
I wouldn't say there is nothing there. Buffalo-Niagara has about 1.5 million people and western New York has 2.5 million people.

Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,638,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I wouldn't say there is nothing there. Buffalo-Niagara has about 1.5 million people and western New York has 2.5 million people.
Yeah, I was gonna say, Buffalo is a pretty significant metro.

Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I was gonna say, Buffalo is a pretty significant metro.
For some reason this thread veered into absurdistan.

Bottom lines:

The Toronto and Buffalo areas are far enough apart (in addition to being separated by a controlled international border) for almost no one to live in one city and work in the other.

Cross-border commuting would be limited to a fairly small number of people who live fairly close to the Niagara River, on either side of it.

The large area encompassed by Toronto and Buffalo is quite populated and developed on either side of the border, and has tons of "stuff" to offer people who live there, and many cross the border to take advantage of what the other side has to offer. But commuting for work between Toronto and Buffalo isn't generally one of those things.

Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM

1,692 posts, read 934,692 times
Western NY is a big place. Most of it is not anywhere close to Toronto.

I guess when you're not from Gatineau you don't view cities such as Buffalo or Niagara as significant.

Old Today, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
Western NY is a big place. Most of it is not anywhere close to Toronto.

I guess when you're not from Gatineau you don't view cities such as Buffalo or Niagara as significant.
Bwaah. Nice juvenile slag. I've been to most of the biggest cities in the world, but thanks.

I am not the one who said Buffalo was "significant" but still, that's a lot closer to reality than your statement which said there was "nothing there".

BTW, Toronto is arguably "insignificant" when compared to Tokyo, Mexico City or NYC.

Old Today, 08:29 AM

6,526 posts, read 5,741,154 times
Buffalo is where Rick James is from. So yes I would say it is up there in significance on a global scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxBPFWuaIz4

Old Today, 09:55 AM

I wouldn't overestimate Buffalo's significance, but it was the 8th largest city in the USA at one point which does give it some legacy renown. Plus it has pro sports teams that give it visibility.

The USA being the most powerful and influential country in the world, many of its cities tend to have more visibility than much larger places like Tianjin and Chengdu, which probably have 15 million people each in their metro areas.

(Not saying that everyone in the world knows Buffalo of course. But where I live more people know Buffalo than know Albany or Rochester for example, even though the sizes are comparable and we're slightly closer to the latter two.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto