Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 02:00 AM

292 posts, read 752,843 times

Advertisements

It's interesting, considering that Toronto has a much larger population, that downtown San Francisco and its inner neighborhoods feel more urban and vibrant than Toronto's city center and its inner neighborhoods. I wonder what the reason behind this is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 02:15 AM

5 posts, read 12,769 times
SF is built in a confined space where they can not expand North, East, or West and Toronto can spread all directions except South. A dense population creates more motifs per square mile, providing an eclectic urban feel.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:59 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,855,294 times
Thats a completeley subjective arguement. There's plenty of people that think Toronto's more urban than SF... It's personal opinion.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:39 PM

381 posts, read 862,365 times
Yeah, I don't know if I'd say one is more urban that the other overall. SF has a more consistant urban fabric, but Toronto is MUCH bigger in area and has nearly 3 times SFs population. They are both very urban for North American cities

Old 01-31-2011, 08:39 AM

122 posts, read 479,380 times
I'm a huge Toronto booster. I was born and raised in Toronto, but S.F. is in a class by itself when it comes to a cool (not talking about the weather), urban environment. It's tough to put your finger on as to why, but it's just a super cool, very progressive city that in many respects leaves Toronto in the dust.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 4,065 times
[url]http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/25/us/san-francisco-pee-proof-paint/http://[/url]
[url=http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/reasons-why-san-francisco-is-the-worst-place-ever]Reasons Why San Francisco Is the Worst Place Ever | VICE | Canada[/url]

[url=http://www.forbes.com/sites/erincarlyle/2015/04/16/san-francisco-tops-forbes-2015-list-of-worst-cities-for-renters/]Forbes Welcome[/url]

San fran is a dirty cess pit...the tenderloin and hunters point and mission and market st are awful....and theres literally a urine problem where the smellbuilds up and some infrastructure is being destroyed by urine lol...the rent is terribly high (highest in north america) and the wealth gap is groteque (highest in north america)...san fran sucks unless youre a gutter punk hipster or lbgtq or crackhead or rich silicon valleytechy living in a bubble gentrified community

Old 09-24-2015, 05:15 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bliz82 View Post
theres literally a urine problem.... some infrastructure is being destroyed by urine lol..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WTy9P6RGg0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsIQR2CCjdA

Old 09-24-2015, 05:41 PM

430 posts, read 835,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bliz82 View Post
theres literally a urine problem where the smellbuilds up and some infrastructure is being destroyed by urine lol...the rent is terribly high (highest in north america) and the wealth gap is groteque (highest in north america)...san fran sucks
But this is exactly what people move to big cities for. It's exciting to step over the poor people and their urine. Haven't you seen how popular NYC is? Even more urine and even more of a wealth gap! The highest of any city in the post-industrial societies. But agreed that San Fran would be right in the running for the most haves and the most have-nots. Toronto, not so much. Much more of a healthy middle class in Toronto than either NYC or SF.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:26 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
no it is not.
I have been there five times and don't find it cool at all. Only the natural backdrop and climate is superior Toronto. SF simply doesn't work for me. I'd pick Los Angeles over SF any day.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:25 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
Toronto sprawls much more.

Also, keep in mind that there's a higher population in California overall, versus the region immediately around Toronto. San Francisco pulls a lot of visitors, business people, shoppers, etc., from all over the region. That regular traffic in and out of the downtown area would give it a different type of frenetic pace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto