Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 11:16 AM

43 posts, read 90,300 times

Advertisements

Hi guys

A company offered me a management position down in Toronto. I currently live on the NYC suburbs and I commute 4 hours (round trip) a day to work. The company is offering me the same salary as in here. We both (me and wife) work and she'll probably not find a job easily there, so, we would have to live with just one income for a period of time. I also have a daughter which is 2.5 years old.

A couple of questions:

- Want to know what areas I should stay away from when looking for a Real Estate?
- What would be the worse case scenario in terms of commuting to work (based upon the metro area), I would be working in Toronto downtown.
- What type of attractions does the city offer? What to do in the weekends??
- Which big companies have a presence there?
- Average temperature in the winter?
- Crime ?
- Schools ?
- Property taxes ? Here we pay (where we live) about $5k an year for a 2000 sq ft house which is worth 285k.

I may have other questions, so, would like to hear more specially from those who actually did this move.

Thank you in advance !

Eduardo Ferrari
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 08:57 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,468 times
Most of these questions can be answered by looking in other threads on this forum, or using a search engine like Google.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:47 PM

65 posts, read 196,872 times
Hi Eduardo

Some of your questions would be easier to answer if you gave us an idea of your income, maximum amount that you can spend on a home, and whether you prefer the suburban environment to downtown living. You may be hard pressed (for instance) to find something suitable for a young family within a reasonable commuting distance to downtown Toronto for 285K. The Greater Toronto Area (City of Toronto and surrounding communities aka GTA) is a very expensive place to live. You can get a good sense of housing costs by browsing through REALTOR.ca - Welcome (formerly MLS) site.

-Desirable areas include those closest to subway lines and located near certain schools. Unlike some US cities, many people have chosen to live close to downtown, and thus make Toronto's core a desirable place to live. To generalize, areas to avoid are Toronto's "inner suburbs", which are located in a ring around the core near highway 401. It's hard to advise you not knowing your preferences.

-Thousands of people commute to work in downtown Toronto from outside communities such as Burlington, Oakville, Mississauga, Hamilton, Barrie, Whitby, Pickering, Oshawa etc by commuter train (the GoTrain). Most of these commutes by train range from 30 to 60 minutes. Others choose to suffer in their cars in some of the worst gridlock in North America. Commuter hell is why some choose to pay a premium to live closer to downtown. I think it's possible to easily spend 2 hours in your car one way.

-Toronto is Canada's largest city, it has all the attractions of a large multicultural city : professional theatre and performance, music, art, food and cultural festivals, concerts for every taste, restaurants of every type and price point, art galleries, parks, professional and amateur sport, etc. Some nice Toronto attributes : walkable charming neighbourhoods, Toronto Islands park. Some not so nice : bland ugly architecture, hard to quickly escape to countryside (located in sprawl) and sometimes lacks a certain "joie de vivre" (just my opinion).

-As Canada's largest city, Toronto is the hub of Canada's finance and insurance industries, therefore our major banks and brokerage houses are headquartered here. Most major tech companies (Microsoft, IBM etc) have offices in the GTA - Toronto also has quite a few startups. Toronto is where the majority of Canada's media outlets are located and has a large film, TV and video game industry presence as well. There are also major research hospitals located here, as well as three universities. This is off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

-Average winter temp is probably -5 to -10 celsius. We do not get as much snow as cities like Buffalo or even NYC. The cold in Toronto is damp however and it often feels colder than it actually is.

-Crime : Toronto is an overwhelmingly safe city. Gun crime is rare and mostly confined to gang-related activity. To generalize, gangs tend to be located in "inner suburb" areas.

-Schools : don't know this one. You can google this though, there is a lot of information on which schools are better performers in Toronto.

-Taxes : Property taxes will differ whether you choose to live in the City of Toronto proper, or in another surrounding community. City of Toronto taxes are based on the assessed value of the property. Check out this link from the City. City of Toronto: Property Tax

Hope that helps.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:38 PM

325 posts, read 1,036,054 times
To add to the above poster's very good posting, remember too that the public transit system in Toronto is woefully inadequate. Since you said you are used to a 2 hour one way commute, that's about what you can expect if you work downtown and live in the outerburbs - often commuters say a train ride is 30 minutes but don't include the 10 minute wait for the train, the 15
minute find a parking spot contest at the train station, etc etc.

Living within walking distance of the actual subway is hugely desireable vs being what realtors will call a 'short 10 minute bus ride away'. (Because there aren't many buses.)

My overwhelming recommendation would be to rent, not buy, no matter where you live until you get a better semblence of what you want. For me personally, a short commute to work (40 minutes, door to door) was most preferred and cost me literally hundreds of thousands of dollars extra.

Also basic services like cable, cellphone, etc are significantly higher in cost than you may be used to.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:56 PM

43 posts, read 90,300 times
Thank you both for the amazing information. That's exactly what I was looking for ! Toronto is actually one of the options they gave me, and I am still gathering all the facts before deciding on what to do!

Thanks again!

Old 02-08-2011, 08:00 AM

301 posts, read 1,326,990 times
Question for Anitra416: What is your definition of "inner suburb"? Provide an example, please.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:05 PM

65 posts, read 196,872 times
Hi eastwestman

When most people talk about Toronto's inner suburbs, they are referring to the surrounding municipalities of Etobicoke, Scarborough, East York, York, North York, which were separate entities from the City of Toronto proper prior to being amalgamated in 1998. It's not my definition. Some (definitely not painting them all with the same brush ) of these areas contain neighbourhoods which I would not recommend for a young family moving to Toronto.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,236 times
Move to Peterborough,about80 mi.east and will have GO train service to downtown Toronto soon.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:58 PM

71 posts, read 348,223 times
I think his commute can only improve by at least 25%...maybe even close to 50%. I've been working downtown for a while with people from many outlying areas and have never heard of anyone with such a commute (4 hrs daily).

Old 03-21-2011, 02:20 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,193 times
Lol you can almost get to Detroit in 4 hours from downtown Toronto. That's insane. I know a guy that commutes from Ajax to Etobicoke and it takes him just over on hour on a good day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto