U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2011, 11:44 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,074,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I was talking about both. I just used the site Cornerguy1 suggested and the '08 Camry LE I bought last April is still about $5,000+ more in Canada than I paid in the US (and it's almost a year since I bought it).

If I import it, I will have to pay taxes, install running lights ($450), and possibly pay customs brokers fees. There may be more expenses that I haven't mentioned but it might still be worth it for me.
It might be worthwhile importing depending on the car.

There's also a huge range in used prices out there.

For instance:

Searching the 19 07-08 Camrys listed in Hamilton shows an asking price range at a dealership of between $13K and $20K.

It's also interesting to note that certain import manufacturers claim a higher resale value and use that as a benefit to encourage the initial sale. Of course, those manufacturers skew that resale value by offering high trade-in values to customers on their brand of cars when the consumer returns to buy a new vehicle.

Used resale value has as much to do with manufacturer trade-in policy as it does vehicle quality.

Again, though, each situation is different and every potential importer needs to crunch the numbers as they apply to their particular vehicle.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 06:45 AM

206 posts, read 885,447 times
I paid about $2,200 to ship my two cars from Florida, plus about $200 in additional fees (registration, storage, etc...). I was able to avoid/delay the import tax, which is based on the current value of the car(s), because I told customs and Service Ontario (Driver and Vehicle Services) that I plan to ship them back to the U.S. at some point in time and did not plan to sell them in Canada.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:22 AM

4,313 posts, read 10,270,191 times
[quote=Cornerguy1;18024185]It might be worthwhile importing depending on the car.

There's also a huge range in used prices out there.

For instance:

Searching the 19 07-08 Camrys listed in Hamilton shows an asking price range at a dealership of between $13K and $20K.

quote]
I paid $13,500 for my 2008 camry which was pristine with some upgrades, low mileage and one female owner. I know it would be more in Canada.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:44 PM

482 posts, read 2,283,016 times
I've imported cars into Canada before and it is bog standard easy... Like mentioned, make sure your vehicle is permissible (on the RIV list) and that all the recall work has been done beforehand. Very important. Other than that, you should be good to go. One note, you might have the inspecting mechanic try to chisel you by stating that you need a new windshield, you need an alignment, etc. before it will pass inspection. If this is a problem, just go to another shop.

As for used car prices in Canada, Windsor should be the cheapest (it being part of the Detroit market) and in general, the more west in Canada you go, the more expensive used cars (and new) are.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:52 PM

4,313 posts, read 10,270,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
I've imported cars into Canada before and it is bog standard easy... Like mentioned, make sure your vehicle is permissible (on the RIV list) and that all the recall work has been done beforehand. Very important. Other than that, you should be good to go. One note, you might have the inspecting mechanic try to chisel you by stating that you need a new windshield, you need an alignment, etc. before it will pass inspection. If this is a problem, just go to another shop.

As for used car prices in Canada, Windsor should be the cheapest (it being part of the Detroit market) and in general, the more west in Canada you go, the more expensive used cars (and new) are.
Do you wait and have the running lights installed after you get ot Canada? My car has them but they can be turned off so I would have to get them hooked up through the ignition.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:05 AM

3 posts, read 12,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeteldora View Post
Hi

I am considering moving from California to Toronto by end of April. I have a 2003 Hyundai that I purchased in Sep 2009. I am the third owner.
I browsed through the RIV website to obtain details about forms, requirements and fees associated with importing a car. It does seem like a bit of work.
I wanted to check if anyone here has had any experience with this? Any issues?
Also, how are the auto insurance rates different when bringing a car from US compared to buying a used car in Toronto itself?

I am contemplating whether to bring my current car or sell this her and buy another used car when I'm in TO.
Any insight on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!
As a former agent and broker i can tell you it doesn't make a difference at all with the rates. Whether you buy a honda civic in Ontario or Alabama won't change the rate. I would suggest putting your information into an online quoting system to have some agents and brokers call you to see wht your rate would potentially be.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 03-11-2011 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: ads not permitted

Old 03-21-2011, 10:34 PM

9,336 posts, read 20,590,266 times
when I moved to Toronto, I brought my Saab with me. Easy. Paperwork wasn't horrific. Did not need mods. Pm me for tips or do a google. For an older Hyundai, I'd just buy one in Ont.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:45 PM

9,336 posts, read 20,590,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post

At least in Ontario, only Canadian Tire was certified to do the federal inspection. What about in AB?

Old 03-21-2011, 11:28 PM

5 posts, read 23,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmwent View Post
As a former agent and broker i can tell you it doesn't make a difference at all with the rates. Whether you buy a honda civic in Ontario or Alabama won't change the rate. I would suggest putting your information into an online quoting system to have some agents and brokers call you to see wht your rate would potentially be.
Thanks! I think I've referred to Find Canada for rates. Is there any other website you would recommend?

Old 10-09-2014, 04:09 PM

128 posts, read 210,564 times
I moved from Texas with my car and for me the whole process was a PAIN!! My husband would say it's an easy process but there are so many extra fees and taxes to pay! I initially came with my USA car insurance as a "visitor driver" I think it's called (call your Insurance and ask about this) I had Geico and they allowed this for 6 months. Then I ended up eloping and stayed in Canada had a baby and ended up needing a bigger car. I ended up buying a BMW cash -the buy was a steal! Anyway, if I were to do it all over again, I would sell my car in the USA and buy a new car in Canada. The insurance rates are a lot more higher here though. Where I was paying $100 for full coverage under age 25 in Florida and about $120 in Texas, my insurance has almost tripped even with a clean driving record. Everything is expensive and taxed to death here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto