U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 03:43 PM

5 posts, read 23,621 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am considering moving from California to Toronto by end of April. I have a 2003 Hyundai that I purchased in Sep 2009. I am the third owner.
I browsed through the RIV website to obtain details about forms, requirements and fees associated with importing a car. It does seem like a bit of work.
I wanted to check if anyone here has had any experience with this? Any issues?
Also, how are the auto insurance rates different when bringing a car from US compared to buying a used car in Toronto itself?

I am contemplating whether to bring my current car or sell this her and buy another used car when I'm in TO.
Any insight on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 10:02 PM

4,284 posts, read 15,035,125 times
A 2003 Hyundai on its third owner doesn't sound like a classic (no offense).

Yes, the RIV procedure can be a pain in the butt, but it boils down to how attached to the vehicle you are.

Insurance rates aren't like to differ due to the car being imported from the US. What insurance companies are concerned about is personal driving record, so it's in your best interest to obtain an official driver's abstract to prove your good conduct to a Canadian insurance company. It might not hurt to have a letter of reference from your US insurance company, either.

Here's a couple of good sites to check out used car prices in the Toronto region:

Free Kijiji Canada Classifieds | Free Ads | Petites Annonces Gratuites

Used Cars for Sale

Old 02-07-2011, 12:13 AM

Thanks! That's very helpful.
I'll have to do some more research to figure out what's better...

Old 02-07-2011, 08:27 PM

4,310 posts, read 10,205,713 times
It will cost you some cash to import the car but keep in mind that cars are considerably more expensive in Canada than they are in the US.

To import it smoothly you will most likely need a customs broker.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:38 PM

206 posts, read 882,727 times
I shipped two cars from Florida to Ontario last year and used the following company:

Welcome to Automobile Transportation

They handled and walked me through just about everything.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:24 PM

25 posts, read 97,038 times
I imported my 2007 Buick by myself, without any kind of broker. It was relatively pain-free, as long as you follow all the directions on the RIV website, and refer closely to the customs website as well which has detailed diretions. fill in all the forms correctly - and bring ALL your car paperwork along, including bill of sale etc.

A big issue, I will warn you, is if the vehicle has any active recalls or needs any significant repairs or changes to fulfill the Canadian requirements - mine did not, or else I would NOT have attempted the importation process. A big one to consider is daytime running lights... a lot of older vehicles from the states do not have daytime running lights, and I imagine it would cost you quite a lot to have this modification done.

good luck whatever you decide!

Old 02-20-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObound View Post
A big issue, I will warn you, is if the vehicle has any active recalls or needs any significant repairs or changes to fulfill the Canadian requirements - mine did not, or else I would NOT have attempted the importation process. A big one to consider is daytime running lights... a lot of older vehicles from the states do not have daytime running lights, and I imagine it would cost you quite a lot to have this modification done.

good luck whatever you decide!
Canadian Tire specializes in this and I was quoted about $375 to $450 for a '08 Camry that already has running lights (but they can be turned off).

Old 02-24-2011, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the helpful comments!
I did a bit of research... I'm inclining towards just selling my car here and getting another used car when I'm in TO. Though I would have loved to have my current one.

@adventuregurl - you mentioned that cars are more expensive in Canada. Are you talking about new or used or both?

Old 02-24-2011, 08:27 PM

4,284 posts, read 15,035,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeteldora View Post
Thanks for the helpful comments!
I did a bit of research... I'm inclining towards just selling my car here and getting another used car when I'm in TO. Though I would have loved to have my current one.

@adventuregurl - you mentioned that cars are more expensive in Canada. Are you talking about new or used or both?

It tends to show more in new cars.

The used car market is also ore influenced by regional pressures.

Use the Used Cars for Sale site to compare used prices with used prices in your current location.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeteldora View Post
I was talking about both. I just used the site Cornerguy1 suggested and the '08 Camry LE I bought last April is still about $5,000+ more in Canada than I paid in the US (and it's almost a year since I bought it).

If I import it, I will have to pay taxes, install running lights ($450), and possibly pay customs brokers fees. There may be more expenses that I haven't mentioned but it might still be worth it for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto