Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 11:57 AM

325 posts, read 1,033,412 times

Advertisements

I can't help but imagine there's a lot of confusion from non-residents and even residents of what exactly Toronto and the GTA is. I think a thread discussing it is worthwhile, and maybe we can reach some kind of agreement. I realize it may be hard to get a perfect definition, but I for instance find it confusing when people say things like 'they live in the GTA and live in hamilton' . Or when people say they can get from Toronto to Oshawa in an hour - which I find funny because I both work and live in Toronto by the definition below, and I still can't be home in an hour ever yday. So here goes...

Toronto - Any part of the city that is within walking distance of ibeing served by the TTC on a standard fare. This can also include areas where the area just north, south, east, and west are served by a standard fare, and there's just a TTC service hole. I don't want to get into old Toronto, new toronto, etc.

GTA - harder to define but within a real life 45 minute drive from home to intersection of 404 and 401. What I mean by real life is taking into account traffic. I'd say Pickering, Markham, Newmarket, Ajax, Richmond hill, Mississauga, Brampton...

Definitely not GTA: Oshawa, Hamilton, King City.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:31 PM

536 posts, read 1,423,966 times
Not sure Pickering and Ajax qualify as GTA. I agree that Oshawa and Hamilton are out.

As for Toronto proper itself, that is York, East York, Etobicoke, Scarborough, North York. Unless things have changed in recent years.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post
Not sure Pickering and Ajax qualify as GTA. I agree that Oshawa and Hamilton are out.

As for Toronto proper itself, that is York, East York, Etobicoke, Scarborough, North York. Unless things have changed in recent years.
I realize that (though I think technically you missed downtown) but wanted to clarify this by just using the TTC service map.

If Pickering doesn't qualify as GTA, then surely Mississauga doesn't either. (which I'm fine with, but it means the GTA will be small).

Old 02-08-2011, 01:06 PM

536 posts, read 1,423,966 times
I always thought York was downtown Toronto. Oops, my bad, so there are 6 boroughs.

I thought Mississauga was closer than Pickering. Oakville probably does count as GTA, but not Burlington and parts west I would imagine. Newmarket and Aurora also GTA I would think. Man, that metro area is huge!

Old 02-08-2011, 01:15 PM

65 posts, read 196,444 times
The GTA according to statscan includes Metro Toronto (amalgamated), Durham, Peel, York and Halton, so yeah it's huge.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:18 PM

26,758 posts, read 37,656,929 times
Hamilton is probably not GTA. But it's in the Golden Horseshoe which often symbolizes the Toronto area. Oshawa I am divided on. Could be GTA... or not.

Pickering and Ajax are definitely GTA, as are Markham, Mississauga, Vaughan, etc. Aurora, Richmond Hill are all GTA as well.

The definition of "Toronto" is simple: the boundaries of the City of Toronto. Or the 416 area code. Same thing.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Hamilton is probably not GTA. But it's in the Golden Horseshoe which often symbolizes the Toronto area. Oshawa I am divided on. Could be GTA... or not.

Pickering and Ajax are definitely GTA, as are Markham, Mississauga, Vaughan, etc. Aurora, Richmond Hill are all GTA as well.

The definition of "Toronto" is simple: the boundaries of the City of Toronto. Or the 416 area code. Same thing.
Problem is that ther'es also area code 647, and with VOIP you can have a 416 # in Kamloops. I know what you mean but I'm trying to define this for people who don't live in Toronto and might be renting a vacation place 'in Toronto'.. and wind up in Pickering Village.

How can Oshawa be GTA or not?

Old 02-08-2011, 01:35 PM

681 posts, read 2,790,330 times
A simple google search will find you the exact and correct answer:

http://www.movingtogta.ca/gta_large.gif

There really should be no discussion on what is and what is not the GTA. It is geographical and have solid boundaries.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:44 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,930,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricu View Post
There really should be no discussion on what is and what is not the GTA. It is geographical and have solid boundaries.
Yup, I don't understand how this is debatable either. The GTA (Greater Toronto Area) is a defined census area -as is the City of Toronto.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:28 PM

I realize it's defined in some map. But I think there's a lot not being told by that story. For me, personally, I think if it's outside of a reasonable commute into the city, it's not part of the Greater TORONTO area. It has to be somewhat close to Toronto at 9am on Monday morning in my opinion, and I'm seeing what others think.

For instance, in that map someone can live in the GTA and live in Georgina. If I was a tourist, and told that the house I'm looking at is in the GTA and it's in east Clarington, I don't consider that living in the GTA. It's in Ontario, sure but it's so far from Toronto that it might as well be Hamilton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.