U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2011, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,849 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My husband just got a new job that is located close to Sherway Gardens and we are looking for a new area to move to in the city. Right now we live in the Yonge and Eglinton area and he drives to work but the commute there is a bit of a pain. Taking the Gardiner expressway is not so bad because he is generally travelling in the opposite direction of rush hour traffic but getting to and from the Gardiner can be a nightmare from where we live. I work in the downtown core so we are looking for a new area that would still be convenient for me to get to work (using public transit). Any suggestions on neighbourhoods that would satisfy both our commuting needs? We are a young couple without any children and would be renting an apartment or condo.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 05:18 PM

3,858 posts, read 6,508,082 times
I'd suggest South Etobicoke generally - within walking distance of a subway station (Old Mill, Royal York, Islington, Kipling) or walking distance of the Royal York or Islington buses. If you work within walking distance of Union Station then the Mimico Go station area gives the the option of easy commuting by TTC or Go Train. (but avoid any Go train-TTC commuting combination)

Old 02-15-2011, 08:59 AM

301 posts, read 1,257,712 times
Right at Kipling station, there's a newly built Tridel condo with plenty of rental units available. They're not cheap, but the location would be great for your husband. He could drive to work in 20 minutes easily and you'd be 30 minutes to downtown Toronto. You husband could probably even leave the car at home and take one bus to the Sherway gardens area from Kipling station. Imagine how much car insurance you'd save if your husband took public transit to work!

Old 02-15-2011, 11:55 AM

1,655 posts, read 5,511,799 times
If i'm not mistaken a couple condo's just recently went up literally right beside the mall. I actually passed Sherway driving down the QEW the other day and noticed it. Maybe you should check it out.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,849 times
There are some new condos around Sherway but I'm worried that it would be a bit of a hassle for me to get to work from there. I work close to Bay and Bloor so taking the GO Train to Union station wouldn't make much sense for me. I think living close to one of the subway stations like Kipling or Islinton would probably be best for me because it would just be one subway ride without any transfers. I will look into the new condos near Kipling station. Can't be much more expensive than the area we live in now anyway!

Old 02-19-2011, 11:50 AM

2,601 posts, read 1,400,760 times
Mimico

Old 02-20-2011, 07:14 AM

5 posts, read 14,067 times
I would check out the Tridel Buildings at Parc Nuvo or the surrounding buildings. 3 buildings on Michael Power Place and a couple more on Dundas. I have clients who moved there last year and both are very happy.

See the map and web site below.

michael power toronto - Google Maps

Parc Nuvo Area Amenities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto