Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 02:37 PM

16 posts, read 131,669 times

Advertisements

Which is a better place to move with teenagers?
My teens are most concerned about there being high speed internet and places to hang out with friends. What's the population difference between the two?
From experience which is a better place and why? I love the outdoors but my kids are not that into the outdoors, they are more into shopping, texting and going to the movies. Is there high speed internet in either of these places? I'd just like to know a bit about both places and which is better! I'm moving within the next two weeks due to a job offer and I need as many answers as soon as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 07:25 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,573,759 times
Don't even think, Owen Sound. It's a completely different world than Collingwood. Collingwood is diverse, upscale, forward looking and very stylish and current. Owen Sound on the other hand is a typical rural big town. Depending on where you are coming from your kids will fit very easily into the diverse Collingwood culture. Owen Sound on the other hand being conservative, farming country would be much harder for kids to assimilate into. Owen sound is fishing, hunting, pickup truck redneck country. I have had a seasonal home in Collingwood all my life and actually lived there for 10 years. It's the best small town in Ontario by far. As you head up towards Owen Sound it just keeps getting more backwards as you go. Thornbury is OK, Meaford is a little more hick and by the time you get to Owen Sound, there you are, in Hooterville. It gets even worse as you travel past to South Hampton, Port Elgin and by the time you get to Kinkardine you would think you had taken a time machine back to the fifties.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:51 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,224,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Don't even think, Owen Sound. It's a completely different world than Collingwood. Collingwood is diverse, upscale, forward looking and very stylish and current. Owen Sound on the other hand is a typical rural big town. Depending on where you are coming from your kids will fit very easily into the diverse Collingwood culture. Owen Sound on the other hand being conservative, farming country would be much harder for kids to assimilate into. Owen sound is fishing, hunting, pickup truck redneck country. I have had a seasonal home in Collingwood all my life and actually lived there for 10 years. It's the best small town in Ontario by far. As you head up towards Owen Sound it just keeps getting more backwards as you go. Thornbury is OK, Meaford is a little more hick and by the time you get to Owen Sound, there you are, in Hooterville. It gets even worse as you travel past to South Hampton, Port Elgin and by the time you get to Kinkardine you would think you had taken a time machine back to the fifties.
Great post, I'd give you reps but 'have to spread them around' first.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I forgot to add, another 20 miles past Kincardine and you come to Lucknow.That's the town all my family, both maternal and paternal came to from the Highlands of Scotland in the 1840's.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Thank you! So you think Collingwood would be better for teens that have lived in the suburbs of Toronto their entire life? Does Collingwood have high speed internet?

Old 02-27-2011, 05:49 PM

Yes C'wood has HS internet. Teens that have lived in Toronto will have no problem in C'wood. Half the population are TO transplants. Owen sound though would probably be a disaster of major porportions for them. Like I said before it's insular, countrified, redneck, hick country. Now I don't really have anything against that culture personally. I could live in Owen Sound because I like the outdoors, the fishing, the Bruce Peninsula, the boating etc. Four of my 8 children lived in Collingwood through their teens and loved it. One of my sons still lives there. If I had ever moved any of my teenagers to Owen Sound I would have had a major rebellion on my hands. All my kids spent a lot of their time out at the mountain through their teens. They worked there and while they were not working they skied played tennis and had a lot of fun. I'll give you a good word of advice. Send your boys to the Catholic highschool in town. It's small and it really cares for the kids. I have 2 sons that went there. One is now a MD and the other a Lawyer. It's just a fantastic high school and your kids won't get into the same type of things as at CCI." Collingwood Collegiate Institute". At Vanier they keep a good watch over the kids and keep the parents well in the loop of what is going on.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Yes C'wood has HS internet. Teens that have lived in Toronto will have no problem in C'wood. Half the population are TO transplants. Owen sound though would probably be a disaster of major porportions for them. Like I said before it's insular, countrified, redneck, hick country. Now I don't really have anything against that culture personally. I could live in Owen Sound because I like the outdoors, the fishing, the Bruce Peninsula, the boating etc. Four of my 8 children lived in Collingwood through their teens and loved it. One of my sons still lives there. If I had ever moved any of my teenagers to Owen Sound I would have had a major rebellion on my hands. All my kids spent a lot of their time out at the mountain through their teens. They worked there and while they were not working they skied played tennis and had a lot of fun. I'll give you a good word of advice. Send your boys to the Catholic highschool in town. It's small and it really cares for the kids. I have 2 sons that went there. One is now a MD and the other a Lawyer. It's just a fantastic high school and your kids won't get into the same type of things as at CCI." Collingwood Collegiate Institute". At Vanier they keep a good watch over the kids and keep the parents well in the loop of what is going on.
Thanks so much for the reply back so fast! Like I said my kids weren't too thrilled of the idea of moving to a town with only 17 000 people! being used to living in a city with over 100 000 is a big change for them. They really don't want to move and i'm trying to convince them it's for the best. This job offer brings in a lot more money then I am bringing in now and living so close to Toronto is expensive.
They really are glued to Facebook and their laptops! so High speed internet is a must for them... They seem convinced Collingwood is a hick town LOL
They don't believe me when I say it has High speed.
Is Rogers the internet provider available there? any movie theaters or shopping centers?

Old 02-27-2011, 06:16 PM

I also have another question, I found a house on Alice street west, blue mountains, ON and it says on the map it is in Thornbury? Is Thornbury in Collingwood? Does it also have High speed?

Old 02-27-2011, 06:38 PM

Thornbury is not in Collingwood. I would not advise you to move to Thornbury. It's 20 km down the Bay towards Owen Sound and it's not a great place for kids that are used to the big city and city culture. There is no mall, no theatre, no high school, no hospital. I'm not sure about HS internet but I would be surprised if they had it there. Owen Sound would be better for you than Thornbury. Thornbury is a VERY small town.
Where are you going to be working? Why don't you take the kids and go to Collingwood for a weekend? Sign up for one of those deals where if you sit through a timeshare presentation you get a couple of nights and skiing for almost nothing. If you do that DO NOT buy a timeshare no matter what and no matter how attractive they make it. My wife and I have gone all over the place with those offers and believe me lots of people get talked into buying something. Just say NO.
If you do that your kids will see that Collingwood is a really hip place. There are always a lot of things going on and the town is beautiful. You can walk to anything you want or need and I remember as a teen in Toronto I had to take the TTC all the time and I was brought up downtown. I don't know what suburb you are in but it seems to me that they are dead compared to a concentrated place like collingwood where you have everything right there.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Thornbury is not in Collingwood. I would not advise you to move to Thornbury. It's 20 km down the Bay towards Owen Sound and it's not a great place for kids that are used to the big city and city culture. There is no mall, no theatre, no high school, no hospital. I'm not sure about HS internet but I would be surprised if they had it there. Owen Sound would be better for you than Thornbury. Thornbury is a VERY small town.
Where are you going to be working? Why don't you take the kids and go to Collingwood for a weekend? Sign up for one of those deals where if you sit through a timeshare presentation you get a couple of nights and skiing for almost nothing. If you do that DO NOT buy a timeshare no matter what and no matter how attractive they make it. My wife and I have gone all over the place with those offers and believe me lots of people get talked into buying something. Just say NO.
If you do that your kids will see that Collingwood is a really hip place. There are always a lot of things going on and the town is beautiful. You can walk to anything you want or need and I remember as a teen in Toronto I had to take the TTC all the time and I was brought up downtown. I don't know what suburb you are in but it seems to me that they are dead compared to a concentrated place like collingwood where you have everything right there.
Hmmm..alright, well this house I found for rent is in thornbury, is there any way i can find out if they have internet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto