Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 01:44 AM

2 posts, read 4,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
ajl22586, I am sorry that you don't like living in Canada but I love it up there. I love the weather, the people, the cultures, and the urban environments. I love how orderly and clean it is, while still affording more personal freedom than the U.S. I also refuse to continue contributing to a country with a felony murder rule, absolute prosecutorial immunity, tax dollars spent on concentration camps like Guantanamo, a huge military-industrial complex, a huge disparity in wealth, unlimited corporate spending on campaign ads, the worst of the drug war, the world's highest incarceration rate/prison industrial complex, no universal health care, a highly unequal public education system, unaffordable college/university tuition, a high rate of gun violence, police who disrespect and violate the rights of people with impunity, high property taxes spent on corrupt contracts, no free public skating rinks, decaying urban cores, poorly planned suburban development with no regional oversight, corrupt federal politics, voluminous federal law and regulations that no lawyer let alone layperson can truly understand, incarceration as a penalty for tax violations, mandatory detention for asylum seekers, and countless human rights violations across the world.

I will say that NH is one of the best states in the U.S., and the scenery is wonderful. But my experience was that Ontario is a far better place to live and raise a family.
Remember that moving to Canada and/or even renouncing your citizenship WILL NOT make them forget about you... You'll be double taxed for 10 more years (according to the IRS officials) and / or all your life if you'll choose to keep your U.S. passport. Yep, it's tough. All the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 04:08 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,517,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garlandwannaB View Post
Remember that moving to Canada and/or even renouncing your citizenship WILL NOT make them forget about you... You'll be double taxed for 10 more years (according to the IRS officials) and / or all your life if you'll choose to keep your U.S. passport. Yep, it's tough. All the best.
Um, not exactly, you have to file with the IRS, but there`s an exemption for taxes already paid to Canada. Since Canada`s taxes are higher, a US citizen paying taxes in Canada basically never has to pay the IRS any taxes as the exemption fully covers them.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:51 PM

164 posts, read 375,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
ajl22586, I am sorry that you don't like living in Canada but I love it up there. I love the weather, the people, the cultures, and the urban environments. I love how orderly and clean it is, while still affording more personal freedom than the U.S. I also refuse to continue contributing to a country with a felony murder rule, absolute prosecutorial immunity, tax dollars spent on concentration camps like Guantanamo, a huge military-industrial complex, a huge disparity in wealth, unlimited corporate spending on campaign ads, the worst of the drug war, the world's highest incarceration rate/prison industrial complex, no universal health care, a highly unequal public education system, unaffordable college/university tuition, a high rate of gun violence, police who disrespect and violate the rights of people with impunity, high property taxes spent on corrupt contracts, no free public skating rinks, decaying urban cores, poorly planned suburban development with no regional oversight, corrupt federal politics, voluminous federal law and regulations that no lawyer let alone layperson can truly understand, incarceration as a penalty for tax violations, mandatory detention for asylum seekers, and countless human rights violations across the world.

I will say that NH is one of the best states in the U.S., and the scenery is wonderful. But my experience was that Ontario is a far better place to live and raise a family.
Toronto is not clean and it is super expensive. It feels like you are stepping back in time into the 1970's in Toronto.

Most people cannot afford the fancy buildings that they keep putting up. Would prefer the USA for most things.

Colleges can be cheaper only because of the tuition tax credit, but educated people can make more money in the USA since their is more opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto