Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 04:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,634 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

I was offered a position with my company to work in Toronto. It is a good opportunity to further my career and I would be returning to NYC after a few years. All my friends say how lucky I am but I have to admit I am pretty nervous. I have never lived outside of the NYC area and I have never been to Toronto. So I am unsure what to expect. Further more I am making this move much more quickly then I am comfortable with (this is the fault of my company) and I will be going alone. I assume this the cause of me being nervous since I am leaving my friends and family behind for 2 years and I know no one in Toronto.
I am planning on living in the downtown/financial/entertainment district (that is what it looks like on Google). I am told it is a very nice/safe area with a lot to do along the water and close by. Would people agree it is a nice/safe/fun area?
I will be working further east and a bit north best land mark I can figure it's near Bond Park (again these are from Google maps), how difficult would it be getting from where I plan on living to that area. Now since I am from NYC I ride subways and buses. But it seems like I will need a car to do this?
Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 06:41 PM

228 posts, read 696,634 times
yes, it's a relatively safe area with a lot to ofter.

Bond park is in the Leslie/york mills or Leslie/ Lawrence area (depends on how you look at it) in North York, and it is quite a bit away where you want to live downtown. In Theory you can get there by public transit, but it will take you almost a hour.

Your best options are:

1) get a car

2) live closer to your work. The area where your work is a very nice area. IT actually borders one of the most affluent neighbourhoods in Toronto. The great thing is you'll commute will be short, your pretty close to large parks/ravine with walking trails/bike paths and you close to midtown, a trendy area with a lot of nice boutiques, pubs, a handful of clubs/lounges, decent restaurants and lot of Young professional. The problem is it's the area is very suburban, a lot of single family homes.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:57 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,856,717 times
Where you work is not exclusively subway accessible but the Yonge-University line does reach York Mills Road. All you'll have to do is take a simple transfer on an eastward bus and you should be in the vacinity of where you work in about 10-15 minutes. The Yonge line is pretty much the easiest accessible one in the city as it conveniently divides the downtown in half; so basically wherever you're living downtown, there's bound to be a streetcar/subway/bus that could get you to a Yonge station with ease.

I wouldn't advise you use a car simply because you'd be taking the DVP which is basically the most busiest road in the city and it could take you hours getting back and forth especially during rush hour. Taking the side streets are also another option you could try exploring, so I wouldn't completely rule it out.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:49 PM

126 posts, read 557,307 times
Are you male or female?

Old 04-05-2011, 12:34 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,231,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatashaH View Post
Bond park is in the Leslie/york mills or Leslie/ Lawrence area (depends on how you look at it) in North York, and it is quite a bit away where you want to live downtown. In Theory you can get there by public transit, but it will take you almost a hour.
If what NatashaH says is true I personally would not make that commute, it will take WAY too long. (I was born and raised in TO and lived there 42 years). I would live closer to where you're going to work, and commute after rush hour for entertainment. If you want a slightly trendier area than where you will be working try Yonge and Eglinton or, closer still but somewhat less trendy, Yonge and Lawrence. In the area you will be working I would prefer to have a car.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:56 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,023,324 times
I used to live in the area.. you will be better off with a car. nothing more unpleasant than waiting for a bus on a snowy gray winter evening. brrrr...

however, a caveat, if you get a car, you will be shocked at how expensive car insurance is in Toronto. Id bring motor vehicle extracts for as many years as you can get it and letters of reference from your insurance company.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:11 AM

41 posts, read 173,797 times
Live downtown (or Leslieville -very different than Leslie/YorkMills), get a car. Make the DVP your frustrating friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto