Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2011, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,730 times

Advertisements

I am currently a junior at Cornell University in the school of Industrial and Labor Relations, and I was interested in moving to the Toronto area after graduation. What are job prospects like for Cornell grads in the greater Toronto area? Does the Ivy name have the same reputation in Canada as a degree from U Toronto or McGill would have? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 05:14 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,958,589 times
I'm not sure what the market is for Industrial and Labor Relations graduates in the US or in Canada. Human Resource departments and/or government policy making? In either case I would assume that a knowledge of Canadian labour laws & labour relations would be helpful as they are different than in the US. Otherwise a US degree shouldn't hurt you. Check out the Immigration Canada website to see if you qualify to immigrate and/or obtain a TN work visa. Welcome to Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Old 04-02-2011, 08:50 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said.

I think the largest concern would be the large difference between US and Canadian labour laws.

A degree from Cornell will be far more highly regarded than one from Outer Nowhere State U.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:43 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
I have a masters in Columbia and it did not help me find a job in Toronto. I did not get any calls "wow you're from Columbia..."
It all really depends on your work experience and what salary you are willing t

Old 04-10-2011, 10:45 AM

126 posts, read 557,275 times
I would imagine that a Cornell degree would have some pull.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 04-10-2011 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: off topic material removed

Old 04-11-2011, 03:40 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving on a Jet Plane View Post
I would imagine that a Cornell degree would have some pull.
Its not going to open doors if going through recruiters or applying directly for jobs..

Old 04-13-2011, 02:27 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
I cannot help it.
Your major? "Labor" Relations?
You spelled "Labour" wrong for Canada!

Don't feel bad; it just cost me the Oklahoma spelling bee in grade six; I'm having a flashback!)

Last edited by thedwightguy; 04-13-2011 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: add explanation

Old 04-13-2011, 02:30 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
Default Cornel is Ivy Leaque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said.

I think the largest concern would be the large difference between US and Canadian labour laws.

A degree from Cornell will be far more highly regarded than one from Outer Nowhere State U.
Cornell kicks ass; particularly their School of Agriculture.

Add a law degree to that "Labour" degree and you'd match two of our recent Prime Ministers.

Last edited by thedwightguy; 04-13-2011 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: syntax

Old 04-16-2011, 06:52 PM

195 posts, read 673,091 times
Toronto employers aren't as impressed by credentials as American employers are - my McGill degree made people immediately take interest in me in Washington DC and NYC and it gave me a definite advantage against local universities since McGill is well-regarded in those cities - in Toronto they'd just as soon hire Susie Smith who went to Humber or Sheridan College - where I work there are directors with community college degrees managing managers and direct reports with MBAs -- it's kind of insane if you are used to the US model but Canada takes work experience into consideration far more and also respects community college education whereas my experience in the US was definitely BA/BS from Big Name University > community college degree - in Washington DC you couldn't even get a job as a secretary with a community college degree.

Different world up here.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:30 PM

749 posts, read 2,455,505 times
The market isn't great for HR / Human Capital consulting related jobs in Toronto early on in your career. If you're coming out of ILR, I think your best bet would be a Human Capital analyst role at Deloitte Consulting, T & OP at Accenture, some place like Hewitt, Buck, Mercer or Towers Watson, or an HR rotational program in banking in NYC. After a few years of consulting, then joining industry for a couple years in an internal HR role, you'd set yourself up well for a high paying director or VP of HR role at a Fortune 500 by the time you're close to 30. From there, it'd be easier to lateral into a similar well paying role in Toronto as long as you're familiar with Canadian labor law - this generally shouldn't be a problem since most big American companies in NYC have Canadian branches.

It might also be difficult for you to get a work visa for a junior position anyway. Another option you might consider is just doing a masters at U of T in their MILR program. You could probably transition to a higher level HR role from there if you've had good internships. A Cornell ILR and an MILR from U of T should be able to get you pretty much any HR role you want under the director level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto