Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 06:09 PM

18 posts, read 38,627 times

Advertisements

My husband just found out he is going to be working in Toronto starting around June 1 until at least Jan. 2012. We have zero knowledge of the area. He needs to put together a package proposal to his employer for expenses. How much is rent for a 1 bedroom in the area? We are also considering moving our whole family up there for the year but don't know where to begin to evaluate costs (or if it's even feasible). I'm a stay-at-home mom (former teacher) and we have 2 girls, ages 3 and 5. Our five year old would be in kindergarten next year. I don't know if she would be allowed to enter school up there but if not, I would homeschool. How much is rent on a 3 bedroom home? What are the safe areas for a family with our dynamics? Also, my 5 year old has type 1 diabetes so we would need an endocrinologist? I'm not sure if our US Healthcare would allow us to use a dr. in Canada? Anyone know the answer to that? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Sorry I don't have more specific questions for the forum right now. Thanks for guiding us in the right direction!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 07:46 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
Toronto is a huge place and you will most likely want to live near your husband's job. Where will he be working? 'The Beach' (many call it 'The Beaches' but officially it's 'The Beach' ) is a nice family oriented area not too far from downtown, it's on the east side. Many rentals are on kijiji.ca, there is the Beach Metro newspaper to check too.

You would have to check with your US healthcare but my guess would be that they wouldn't cover doctors in Canada.

Good luck!

Old 05-10-2011, 08:26 PM

We think the address for the job is Markham. We will find out for sure soon but hopefully this will help with some answers out there. Thanks!

Old 05-10-2011, 09:53 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,193 times
If it's in Markham I wouldn't advise living downtown as the commute would be horrendous getting to work during rush hour (chances are you'll be using the Don Valley Parkway which is essentially a standstill parking lot for a majority of the day). East end wouldn't be a bad idea, as adventuregurl said.

Safety in Toronto shouldn't be an issue; you'll obviously want to avoid any social housing areas but other than that it's generally safe. Pitch a few neighbourhoods to me and I'll give my opinion on it.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:43 PM

984 posts, read 2,711,017 times
My recommendation is to either come up for a visit to get to know the areas or when you first come up get an extended stay hotel so you can get to know the places you are considering.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:09 PM

Found out the location of the job site: Barrie, Ontario. Not exactly a suburb of Toronto. How does this come into play when searching for a place to live? Thanks!

Old 05-11-2011, 02:16 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,972 times
If you work in Barrie then live in Barrie. It's a decent sized & nice/pretty town with a Walmart, Sears, Costco, Pier 1, Starbucks, and Chapters (Canadian version of Barnes & Noble). Housing is cheaper than Toronto - no need to pay more to live in Toronto then pay for an expensive & long commute.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:28 AM

How far is Barrie from the US border? Thanks!

Old 05-12-2011, 12:11 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVS1219 View Post
How far is Barrie from the US border? Thanks!
The closest border crossing is Niagara. There are 3 crossings there. Queenston, Lewiston. Niagara Falls, Niagara Falls, Ft. Erie, Buffalo. It's about an hour from Barrie to Toronto and another hour and a quarter to the Queenston Lewiston bridge.

If you are moving to Barrie there is some really beautiful country around there. Lake Simcoe has always been a big attraction but I have never liked it too much. It's only a half hour from Georgian Bay and Georgian bay really rocks. Collingwood is a fantastic little town and if you like winter sports it's the best in eastern Canada. Barrie is also close to the "Near North" and the recreation possibilities there are endless. Barrie is close enough to Toronto it's no big deal to run into the city for a evening out or a show ,concert etc.

Last edited by lucknow; 05-12-2011 at 12:44 PM..

Old 05-12-2011, 01:02 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
I think there are many people in Barrie who would *dream* of having a job in the city in which they live and not have to drive to and from Toronto on the 400 every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto