Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 10:47 PM

9 posts, read 19,457 times

Advertisements

Please help!

I live in Scarborough and would like to get myself and my bike to Centre Island (obviously I need help up to the ferry dock, for which there are not other option beyond that). Here are ways I figured out to do it and perceived issues:

Background: My schedule is very flexible anytime within a day, and I am most likely to travel during the weekdays. So please make your suggestion with the assumption that I'll be traveling during the weekdays.

A.) Driving: Not sure where can I found all-day parking in downtown Toronto near the ferry dock. The key is "all-day" parking as I would spend my entire day down at the Centre Island/Harbourfront area.

B.) Driving/subway approach: If I drive part of the way then park my car to ride the subway. Where is the most likely station that I can find parking, let say, after 10am and yet it's closest to the Union Station?

C.) Bus/subway approach: Is it common and practical for people to use the bike racks on TTC buses? Any good or bad experiences with them?

D.) (Open to suggestion).

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 10:53 PM

398 posts, read 732,850 times
Why don't you just ride the bike all the way to the ferry? It shouldn't take more than an hour.
Not sure where in Scarborough you are but if you can get to Danforth Ave it's an easy ride from there. Otherwise, put the bike on the car, drive to the area near the ferry, and park. There's plenty of garages and city-owned parking lots around, shouldn't cost more than $12 for a day's parking. There's even some street parking near the ferry terminal but I believe it's limited to 3 or 4 hours. The lots near the Gardiner where it intersects with Bay and Yonge are pre-pay lots and you can definitely park there for 12 hours or more at a cost of under $10 a day. As long as there's no events going on you should find a spot.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:11 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Ya, ride the bike for sure. You will get yourself into great shape and save $$$$$$.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:35 PM

Thank you very much for the input thus far!

I live around Finch and Birchmont. It's possible, but a little far for biking.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobiker07 View Post
Thank you very much for the input thus far!

I live around Finch and Birchmont. It's possible, but a little far for biking.
It's downhill almost all the way there.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:01 PM

398 posts, read 732,850 times
Go west on Finch and pick up the don valley trails (parallels the DVP) all the way into downtown Toronto. Check a bike map as I have never taken the trails that far north, but I am pretty sure they do run that far.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:14 AM

It's too bad we don't have bike racks on the front of buses and streetcars like they have in Vancouver.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:36 AM

325 posts, read 1,036,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
It's too bad we don't have bike racks on the front of buses and streetcars like they have in Vancouver.
Many buses do have bike racks on the front now.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:57 PM

The final choice is the TTC. It is the cheapest option and the least frustrating (stuck in traffic and finding parking space are stressors for me). The bus' bike rack is very sturdy so I feel very safe leaving it on there while riding the bus.

Taking the bike up and down stairs and elevators took a bit of finesse. Also, I am not sure where to stand or seat when I'm in the train in order to cause the least disturbance. My thinking was to stand in the middle of the cabin, and right between all 4 doors so I'm not blocking any of the exits.

I also rode up the Don Valley Trail (and mentally laughed at the cars that got stuck on Northbound at 5pm on Don Valley), got through some walking trails and got up to The Danforth.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto