U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 06:47 PM

6 posts, read 17,172 times

Advertisements

My name is Yuki, I am new to this forum.

I am moving from Chicago to Toronto very soon, maybe like at the end of this month(May). I will be working near markham. I plan to rent an 1 bedroom apartment but I am not sure which area is better to live in? Toronto downtown area or Markham town?I do not mind driving 30-50 mins to work but I need a place that's convenience for shopping.

So I am guessing I would pay 1200+- for a 1 bedroom apartment. what will be the monthly parking fee in Toronto? which area should I be looking for?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 11:02 PM

398 posts, read 654,621 times
Don't live in Downtown Toronto and drive to Markham for work everyday. That would be an insanely stressful commute. Live in Markham, there is plenty of shopping around there, especially asian stores.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:12 AM

10,018 posts, read 11,593,678 times
Markham is pretty cool. I love all the Asian stores and food there. You are going to love the safety of Toronto and no urban blight.
Welcome to Canada and I hope you have a great life here.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:12 AM

301 posts, read 1,257,979 times
I fully agree with the last post. DO NOT live in downtown Toronto if your job is in or near Markham. Trust me, your commute will be much more than 30 to 50 minutes if you decided to do that. There's a huge amount of rental space at the $1200 / month mark in north Scarborough or Markham itself. As for good shopping in the Markham area, it won't be more a few minutes away.

Don't get me wrong, living in downtown Toronto is great, but it would make for a hellish commute up the DVP Monday to Friday during rush hour in order to get to work on time in Markham. Markham is booming, take advantage of it!

More questions, message me!

Thanks!

Old 05-13-2011, 03:20 PM

6 posts, read 17,172 times
Thanks for the help everyone.
With 1200/month. What type of 1 bedroom apartment I can rent? I see a lot of basement style 1 bedroom on kijiji.ca but I do not like them...

Is there any website other than Kijiji that i can search for apartment rental?

Old 05-13-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akita View Post
Thanks for the help everyone.
With 1200/month. What type of 1 bedroom apartment I can rent? I see a lot of basement style 1 bedroom on kijiji.ca but I do not like them...

Is there any website other than Kijiji that i can search for apartment rental?
Your budget certainly should get your more than a basement apartment. Condos abound in that area. You could certainly rent a one bedroom, one bathroom condo unit with $1200 / month as your budget. Try the Toronto section of Craigslist for rentals. You can also look for rentals on REALTOR.ca -Welcome, just be mindful of the areas of you're looking for, namely Scarborough and Markham. There are a ton of condos near the Scarborough Town Centre (close to Markham), which will show up on a mls search for rentals. The Scarborough Town Centre is one Toronto's biggest malls and it's a good one, btw.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:34 PM

Toronto Real Estate Board (http://www.torontorealestateboard.com/about_treb/districts/north/index.htm - broken link)

Toronto Real Estate Board (http://www.torontorealestateboard.com/about_treb/districts/east/index.htm - broken link)

Old 05-15-2011, 06:47 AM

5 posts, read 32,752 times
Wow the racism in this thread was pretty strong. Why does she want to move somewhere because she is Asian? She moved to Canada not Asia. My father encountered this when he immigrated too.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:40 AM

207 posts, read 715,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JahRo View Post
Wow the racism in this thread was pretty strong. Why does she want to move somewhere because she is Asian? She moved to Canada not Asia. My father encountered this when he immigrated too.
Chill Out!!!
This has nothing to do with Racism, OP will be working in Markham, would you recommend OP to live in Downtown TO? Hell no! And where in GTA will you find more concentration of Asian businesses of all kind? Better yet would you say 75%-80% of businesses in Markham are Asian?
I bet you that if OP said my name is Jane/John Smith, most people here would still say DVP is the main problem living downtown is the commute to Markham every day.

BTW: you don't have to live your life base on your father experiences.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:22 AM

1,655 posts, read 5,512,912 times
Markham's like 70% Chinese; how can you not bring that up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto