Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 05:09 AM

161 posts, read 520,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post

Small LACs don't really seem to exist outside the United States in quite the same way. In Canada, there are only a handful of such public institutions that I can think of -- Bishop's University, Mount Allison University, St. Francis Xavier University, Mount Saint Vincent University, St. Thomas University, University of King's College, University of Prince Edward Island, Acadia University, Brandon University and perhaps Trent University (Trent may be too large to be considered an LAC) come to mind -- and none are anywhere near Toronto. In fact, only King's is in a municipality of any size (Halifax, Nova Scotia). There are some smaller faith-based schools in British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario and New Brunswick, but they are unlikely to be your cup of tea.
I just want to point out that Mount Saint Vincent University is also in Halifax. I know - I went there. And I loved it. I don't know much about the sociology department there, but the English department is wonderful. King's College - which is a part of Dalhousie - has a great reputation. Halifax is also home to Saint Mary's University and the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design. So there is a very large student population here. I'd absolutely recommend Halifax. The major drawback to living here - and the main reason I'm leaving - is that it's very difficult to find professional work. If you came to Halifax having secured a job here, I'm sure you'd really enjoy it. People are incredibly friendly and laid-back. The cost of living is high compared to most places in Canada, but not compared to Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 07:09 AM

207 posts, read 926,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alegria2 View Post
As a current graduate student, I think you're putting the cart in front of the horse. If you remain in academia, it's highly unlikely you will be in a position to choose your location, regardless of how eminent a sociologist you might be.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you should be far more concerned with the fact that there is only one TT job for every 6 PhDs conferred in the US. In Canada, where the statistics are only marginally better, Canadian academics are given preference over foreign nationals.

Krock67 might have more to add, but as someone who defended last fall, with excellent credentials, I chose the private sector over academia, in part because the numbers are currently stacked against us and I had no desire to prostitute myself for years in order to secure tenure.

However, based on what you mentioned, I think you would really enjoy Toronto. That being said, as someone who's familiar with Canadian politics, I assume you're aware of the (in my opinion) ongoing decline in quality of life here.

Good luck!
Getting an academic job is not easy, but it is doable depending on:

- your credentials (were you went to school, who is your adviser, are you a researcher or teacher, your publication record (A or B journals, book chapters, etc...)

- how flexible you are about various career opportunities (tenure-track v.s. non tenure-track, adjunct, post doc, etc...)

- how well aligned your interests are with the needs of the institution

- prior work experience (including teaching)

- timing (sometimes its best to stay in school longer and wait for the right opportunity to come along, and at the same time improving your publication record)

In short, you never know until you try.

Last edited by krock67; 06-27-2011 at 08:07 AM..

Old 06-27-2011, 07:51 AM

13 posts, read 146,992 times
Honestly, I would say focus very little on comments in this forum about what people are "like". Ask practical questions and focus on those answers. That's where this forum really shines. I've lived in a number of other very large cities in North America, and I don't find Toronto to be any more standoff-ish than the others. Probably less so.

But changing countries--even between ones as closely aligned as the US and Canada--is a big decision. In addition to the visa process, you will encounter difficulties like having no credit history: some building managers won't rent to you and your first credit card will probably have a very low limit. These things can certainly be overcome, but I think they are much more relevant considerations than a stranger's view on the social scene. I posted a few threads previously about banking, cell phones, etc. when I was considering moving back to Toronto this spring, and I found them immensely helpful. It was great to be armed with some of that knowledge beforehand.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:57 AM

207 posts, read 926,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JProg305 View Post
...Krock67, thanks for the encouraging words. Did you say you're also from Florida? How have you adapted to the weather in Toronto?...
The winter was not bad at all. In fact it was a lot of fun. Unlike the U.S. winters, which are relatively dead, Canadians seem to embrace the cold. So you see a lot of people out and about engaged in all sorts of outdoor activities (riding bikes, walking, hiking, jogging, ice skating, skiing, shopping, etc...).

It's important to learn how to properly dress for the winter. So we went to the nearest The North Face store and asked for recommendations, which made our first Canadian winter enjoyable.

Last edited by krock67; 06-27-2011 at 08:10 AM..

Old 06-27-2011, 08:12 AM

56 posts, read 159,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JProg305 View Post
Is it hard for most urban Canadians to get by considering the higher cost of living and the lower average salaries? I don't need to live an extravagant lifestyle and I understand that you have to pay for the advantages that Canada offers (health care, safety, etc.).
As you know, academic salaries in the social sciences are not very high, even less so at the lower end of the scale (postdoc/adjunct/asst. prof.).

In the non-profit sector (excluding think-tanks), you would expect to command a salary of around $50k, which is sufficient to live independently depending on the area however you will remain a renter. PhDs are often viewed with caution but retain much more value in the government or think-tank sector which also pays substantially more (c.$75+) depending on your specific responsibilities.

But much of this is redundant, because you will need to secure a job offer before you can immigrate and, given the abundance of sociologists, competition will be fierce. You should check out UofT's Centre for Urban and Community Studies and would be wise to begin making contacts now.

Given your preference for small liberal arts colleges, I really think that you'd be happier in the US, at least in academia.

In terms of future career options, I highly recommend the following book: Amazon.com: "So What Are You Going to Do with That?": Finding Careers Outside Academia (9780226038827): Susan Basalla, Maggie Debelius: Books.

Also check out VersatilePhD.com, geared towards the social sciences. Despite being a "scientist" I found a lot of support from fellow PhDs, current and ex-academics either considering or having made the move outside academia.

Careers outside of academia are rarely discussed from within and unfortunately career development for PhDs rarely forms part of the PhD program. Given your (presumed) focus on applied research, I should imagine you'd be very successful leaving the ivory tower behind.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:19 AM

56 posts, read 159,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullpencoach View Post
Honestly, I would say focus very little on comments in this forum about what people are "like". Ask practical questions and focus on those answers. That's where this forum really shines. I've lived in a number of other very large cities in North America, and I don't find Toronto to be any more standoff-ish than the others. Probably less so.

But changing countries--even between ones as closely aligned as the US and Canada--is a big decision. In addition to the visa process, you will encounter difficulties like having no credit history: some building managers won't rent to you and your first credit card will probably have a very low limit. These things can certainly be overcome, but I think they are much more relevant considerations than a stranger's view on the social scene. I posted a few threads previously about banking, cell phones, etc. when I was considering moving back to Toronto this spring, and I found them immensely helpful. It was great to be armed with some of that knowledge beforehand.
Very wise advice indeed. I am currently in the process of relocating to Washington, DC and am immensely grateful for all the wonderful advice I've received on this forum. However, you have to be able to discern between subjectivity and genuine fact. I quickly realized it was futile to discuss the idea of going car less with Americans...

I've lived in several different countries and one thing seems to stand true everywhere I go... misery attracts company!!

Old 06-27-2011, 08:24 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coaster View Post
I just want to point out that Mount Saint Vincent University is also in Halifax. I know - I went there. And I loved it. I don't know much about the sociology department there, but the English department is wonderful. King's College - which is a part of Dalhousie - has a great reputation. Halifax is also home to Saint Mary's University and the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design. So there is a very large student population here. I'd absolutely recommend Halifax. The major drawback to living here - and the main reason I'm leaving - is that it's very difficult to find professional work. If you came to Halifax having secured a job here, I'm sure you'd really enjoy it. People are incredibly friendly and laid-back. The cost of living is high compared to most places in Canada, but not compared to Toronto.
I stand corrected. Thank you. Don't know how I failed to note that MSVU is in Halifax. Whoops!

Old 06-27-2011, 11:51 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
Even with its current polarization, most of the desirable parts of the United States seem to be better places to voice dissenting opinions. In my opinion, the left in Canada encourages people to be shrill, confrontational and unpleasant. They're the real extremists north of the border. Once again, that's just this man's opinion.

If I were you, then I'd look very hard at any of the American cities that you just rattled off before considering Toronto. America gets a bum rap from both within and without its borders. At least having grown up there, you understand the massive regional differences in the country, a reality that is lost on many Canadians, Europeans, and others.

Small LACs don't really seem to exist outside the United States in quite the same way. In Canada, there are only a handful of such public institutions that I can think of -- Bishop's University, Mount Allison University, St. Francis Xavier University, Mount Saint Vincent University, St. Thomas University, University of King's College, University of Prince Edward Island, Acadia University, Brandon University and perhaps Trent University (Trent may be too large to be considered an LAC) come to mind -- and none are anywhere near Toronto. In fact, only King's is in a municipality of any size (Halifax, Nova Scotia). There are some smaller faith-based schools in British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario and New Brunswick, but they are unlikely to be your cup of tea.

Being open to teaching in community colleges will help a great deal, however, but I should think that in Toronto, even competition for positions at such places will be pretty intense. That's just an educated guess on my part, however.

Toronto does have a massive civil service, though, and between the three levels of government in the city and the private sector, you should be able to find a job. Whether it will be the job of your dreams is another matter of course.

I wish you nothing but the best of luck, man. Seriously, I do. Finding a place that is a good fit can be a challenge. But with your stated interests and your PhD, I do think that the left-liberal element of Toronto will welcome you with open arms.
One thing you've overlooked is the Quebec CEGEP system which is very much like community colleges. There are five large English CEGEPs in the province of Quebec and I think 22 French language ones.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:03 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
One thing you've overlooked is the Quebec CEGEP system which is very much like community colleges. There are five large English CEGEPs in the province of Quebec and I think 22 French language ones.
I did; you're right about that. Thank you for bringing CEGEPs like Dawson College and John Abbott College to the attention of the OP.

Also, I left out consideration of any French language institutions. Although the OP is fluent in Spanish, he hasn't expressed any interest in working in the French language. He may not be able to speak French at all. If he does have that interest, then Universite Ste-Anne in Pointe d'Eglise/Church Point, NS, could be added to the list of Canadian LAC equivalents.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:23 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
If he does have that interest, then Universite Ste-Anne in Pointe d'Eglise/Church Point, NS, could be added to the list of Canadian LAC equivalents.
Cool! A rare reference to Université Sainte-Anne! I have a few relatives who are graduates of Ste-Anne...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto