Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 02:51 PM

923 posts, read 1,429,627 times

Advertisements

On January 24th, 2011, a representative of the Toronto Police gave shocking insight into the Force’s view of sexual assault by stating: “women should avoid dressing like sluts in order not to be victimized”.

SlutWalk Toronto | BECAUSE WE'VE HAD ENOUGH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 03:23 PM

398 posts, read 732,762 times
The site is funny. It calls sluts a "myth." Since I have personally known quite a few sluts, I will have to take everything else they say with a pound of salt.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:31 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
That representative should be fired..

Old 04-06-2011, 09:26 AM

161 posts, read 520,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
The site is funny. It calls sluts a "myth." Since I have personally known quite a few sluts, I will have to take everything else they say with a pound of salt.
I don't think you even read that.

Dressing a certain way does not make somebody a "****." And in any case, there is nothing inherently immoral about being a "****." Suggesiting that somebody is asking to be raped because of how she is dressed, or because of her reputation, or because she enjoys sex, is such a horrible, out-dated, and harmful stereotype, and it is disgusting to think that the very people who are supposed to be protecting citizens would perpetuate this idea.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:42 AM

398 posts, read 732,762 times
The site says "the Toronto Police have perpetuated the myth and stereotype of ‘the ****'" - they are flat-out saying that the "****" is a myth. I can guarantee you that sluts are not a myth. They truly do exist! Whether they are immoral, or bad, or great, or whatever, is a completely different question, which I will not pass judgment on.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:50 AM

161 posts, read 520,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
The site says "the Toronto Police have perpetuated the myth and stereotype of ‘the ****'" - they are flat-out saying that the "****" is a myth. I can guarantee you that sluts are not a myth. They truly do exist! Whether they are immoral, or bad, or great, or whatever, is a completely different question, which I will not pass judgment on.
They are saying that people's conceptions of what a **** is is a myth. So, yes, a **** is a myth. ie., Somebody who dresses in a certain manner is sexually promiscuous. That is a myth.

Edit: And just to clarify, I am certainly not suggesting that someone who actually is sexually promiscuous is "asking for it," either!

Old 04-06-2011, 08:44 PM

923 posts, read 1,429,627 times
For a police representative to make such a statement is totally out of line and unprofessional. Regardless of how a woman might dress is by no means a green light to sexually assault her.

Four-letter word - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-13-2011, 06:54 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Oh for heaven's sake; the cop miss-spoke and he apologized later! the word he was looking for in his obviously limited vocabulary was "provocative".
If you dress provocatively, you are attempting and intending to provoke. The nature and scope of the results of your provocation might be something as innocuous as a simple compliment on your looks to a much more intrusive and unwanted physical response but nevertheless, it is the result of the provocation.
This is not a problem if you're attending a party of your friends whom you know well, but if you're attending a "rave' party at 2AM at the bottom of Dundas and you need to walk four blocks under the Gardiner Expressway to the nearest bus stop after the party while dressed provocatively a whole other element is added. I believe he and you are on the same page here.
Of course you're not a **** if dressed provocativley, of course you're not asking to be raped, of course the cop could have worded his admonishment or advise in a better manner but he was crudely trying to get the point across that there is an element of society that does not use the same moral compass as the majority and it is these people you must keep in mind when dressing.
The "Slutwalk" was just another example of an overreaction to a simple statement. The cop was not saying you get raped "because" of the way you dress, he also was not saying rape is justified if you are provocatively dressed. He was attempting to say "you must consider all things as preventative measures to make yourself less conspicuous to that segmant of society that perpetrates these crimes."
Once again the knee jerk reaction is to blame cops and express your outrage to that part of society that actually cares and commiscerates while the rapist doesn't give a rat's patoot about your outrage at some unfortunate cops bad choice of wording. He'll continue to get worked up over the short mini and brief tube top walking by herself in an dark parking lot!
Get a grip ladies and use the same advice you'd give your daughters about to leave the house looking "provocative" for the very same reasons you're giving it to them; to prevent them giving off the "wrong vibes".
That's what the cop was trying to get across!

Old 04-13-2011, 08:26 PM

746 posts, read 1,676,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh for heaven's sake; the cop miss-spoke and he apologized later! the word he was looking for in his obviously limited vocabulary was "provocative".
If you dress provocatively, you are attempting and intending to provoke. The nature and scope of the results of your provocation might be something as innocuous as a simple compliment on your looks to a much more intrusive and unwanted physical response but nevertheless, it is the result of the provocation.
This is not a problem if you're attending a party of your friends whom you know well, but if you're attending a "rave' party at 2AM at the bottom of Dundas and you need to walk four blocks under the Gardiner Expressway to the nearest bus stop after the party while dressed provocatively a whole other element is added. I believe he and you are on the same page here.
Of course you're not a **** if dressed provocativley, of course you're not asking to be raped, of course the cop could have worded his admonishment or advise in a better manner but he was crudely trying to get the point across that there is an element of society that does not use the same moral compass as the majority and it is these people you must keep in mind when dressing.
The "Slutwalk" was just another example of an overreaction to a simple statement. The cop was not saying you get raped "because" of the way you dress, he also was not saying rape is justified if you are provocatively dressed. He was attempting to say "you must consider all things as preventative measures to make yourself less conspicuous to that segmant of society that perpetrates these crimes."
Once again the knee jerk reaction is to blame cops and express your outrage to that part of society that actually cares and commiscerates while the rapist doesn't give a rat's patoot about your outrage at some unfortunate cops bad choice of wording. He'll continue to get worked up over the short mini and brief tube top walking by herself in an dark parking lot!
Get a grip ladies and use the same advice you'd give your daughters about to leave the house looking "provocative" for the very same reasons you're giving it to them; to prevent them giving off the "wrong vibes".
That's what the cop was trying to get across!
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:44 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,860 times
While I see the value in "Take Back The Night" events, I find the concept of the "**** Walk" utterly ridiculous. The pictures of the women I saw taking part in this event, were for the most part, dressed like a gaggle of ultra skanky two-dollar hookers. It would seem to me the concept of having respect for women was completely eclipsed by a bunch of dirt squirrels with absolutely no respect for themselves using this event as an excuse to show off as much skin as possible. At least is it becomes an annual event, the lads can look forward to being treated to a lot of free eye candy.

As for the idea that the "****" is a myth... Give me a break. Have these girls never watched what goes on in a bar in Oshawa? Isn't called "Canada's Cougar Capital" for nothing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto