U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 06:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,587 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm going to be graduating from college in December (Communication Arts degree, but I'd like to work in music buisness) and I'm applying pretty much everywhere, and some of these places fall in Canada. I was hoping someone could help me out with a few questions:

1) If I'm planning to wait until offered a job before moving, will that make the visa process a bit smoother? What is it like?

2) I have a dog that would be moving with me-is there any quarantine process or does he just need his papers proving vaccines etc?

3) What are some areas in and around Toronto close by that would be safe/pet friendly for a 23 year old girl to live potentially alone?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 09:27 PM

4,363 posts, read 10,603,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknedwings View Post
Hello!

I'm going to be graduating from college in December (Communication Arts degree, but I'd like to work in music buisness) and I'm applying pretty much everywhere, and some of these places fall in Canada. I was hoping someone could help me out with a few questions:

1) If I'm planning to wait until offered a job before moving, will that make the visa process a bit smoother? What is it like?

2) I have a dog that would be moving with me-is there any quarantine process or does he just need his papers proving vaccines etc?

3) What are some areas in and around Toronto close by that would be safe/pet friendly for a 23 year old girl to live potentially alone?

Thanks!
I can't answer #1 but my guess would be that it might make it easier.

Re #2, you just need a health certificate and proof of rabies vaccine. I've travelled back and forth many times with a dog and never even been asked for any paperwork for my dog (I always have it though).

#3 There are SO many areas to choose from and 23 year old females live alone all over the place in TO (Toronto). I recommend the Beach, High Park or Bloor West Village depending on where you're working.......traffic sucks so you want to be as close as possible to where you work.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:30 PM

30 posts, read 132,839 times
I dont know much about 1 and 2 but for 3.....

Living in the city is expensive. If you are anywhere near a subway line, you are looking at least $1300/Month. There's no such thing as a bad area for pets or a bad area for a 23 year old girl to live(just bad areas!).

Old 07-09-2011, 11:59 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,611,087 times
You probably wouldn't even be able to move to Canada unless you first got a job offer and applied for an employment based visa. I am not sure whether a recent "Communications Arts" college graduate with no relevant work experience would qualify under the skilled worker category - likely not. Last I checked, you need 3 years of work experience to qualify as a skilled worker. On the other hand if you had a job offer in hand, you could come to Canada under an employment based visa. Getting that job offer is the hard part as no employer wants to go through the hassle of hiring someone who is not authorized to work in the country yet, when they can just hire a local.

I recommend that you go read the CIC website then come back with any more specific questions you may have. Remember, these forums are not a replacement for individual research.

Also, you should know that in Canada a college degree specifically refers to a 2-year degree. A four-year program is always called university. Don't ever call your 4-year degree a "college degree" in Canada as it will make it seem less than what it is.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,587 times
Thanks so much for all the responses so far! I likely wouldn't be moving to Canada without first having an offer. I'm applying to several places both in the US, Canada, and England, and *fingers crossed* some of them will come back in a positive sense and that's when I would make the move, once offered a position. It does make sense that hiring out of the country seems to be a hassle, but it's worth a shot, and I wanted to at least have a grasp on things, should something come through.

I have tried reading the CIC and it can be very confusing at times, which is why I was hoping for a starting point, which I have received here. =)

Thank you very much for that clarification. I'm starting to think the US is one of the few or only countries which doesn't seem to have a real distinguished nature between University and college.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:24 PM

701 posts, read 991,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknedwings View Post
Thanks so much for all the responses so far! I likely wouldn't be moving to Canada without first having an offer. I'm applying to several places both in the US, Canada, and England, and *fingers crossed* some of them will come back in a positive sense and that's when I would make the move, once offered a position. It does make sense that hiring out of the country seems to be a hassle, but it's worth a shot, and I wanted to at least have a grasp on things, should something come through.

I have tried reading the CIC and it can be very confusing at times, which is why I was hoping for a starting point, which I have received here. =)
The (or A) holy grail for information on immigrating to Canada is here:

Canada Immigration - Information on Immigration to Canada

It's unofficial, but MUCH more comprehensible than CIC.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:54 AM

18 posts, read 58,771 times
Sorry to tell you this, but the likelihood of a Canadian company being able to get you a work Visa are slim to none. Someone in your situation would need a company to apply for a LMO on their behalf, which basically must prove that no Canadian can perform the job for which you are being hired. For someone with no work experience and education in a category for which there is no skills shortage, a positive LMO will be almost impossible to come by. Don't want to dash your hopes, but realistically, this is going to be a real long shot, even if a company desperately wants you.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:00 AM

230 posts, read 505,134 times
I'm from New Hampshire (Littleton more specifically) and live in a Toronto suburb now. The way I did it was I married a Canadian, applied for permanent residency, and while waiting for approval came up here under a NAFTA work permit. The NAFTA work permit makes it remarkably easy to come up here with one of the professions listed under the agreement - you can find a list here: NAFTA Professional Job List. However, you will need a job offer in hand to get the visa (employers cannot ask you your citizenship - all you need to tell them is that you are fully eligible and legal to work in Canada once you are hired, which is true), and once you have it you can be here for 3 years.

Now, I need to warn you, Toronto is vastly different from NH. And I've lived in Concord too, so I'm not just some small-town boy who came up to the big city. Toronto is vastly different even from any American city I've been to, for a multitude of reasons. But overall it's an interesting place, definitely has some great areas and great parks, and people tend to be much more liberal, tolerant and open-minded than most American cities.

Oh and I think $1300/month is a bit high for what you'd be paying for a 1br apartment in Toronto. It's less than that for a nice apartment, but it all depends where you are. Unfortunately I don't know the city enough to say where you should look, though I assume some other members might know better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto