U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 09:56 PM

7 posts, read 14,237 times

Advertisements

I plan on studying at Centennial College then transferring to Ryerson for computer engineering. Is it worth the international costs or should I just study right here in the US? And can I work with a study visa in Toronto?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 12:11 AM

126 posts, read 538,400 times
On one side is the cost, including the extra fees that international students pay. But what are the benefits? I mean, what would make it worth it in your opinion? If you're looking for a lively party scene I think you're looking at the wrong place. Did you see this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/toron...ved-flaky.html? It was started by a visiting American student.

I think you can work on campus on a student visa. Beyond that I'm not sure. I know that at one time you couldn't work off campus, but it may have changed now.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:10 AM

881 posts, read 1,740,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squalliam View Post
I plan on studying at Centennial College then transferring to Ryerson for computer engineering. Is it worth the international costs or should I just study right here in the US? And can I work with a study visa in Toronto?
Are you sure the credits at Centennial College will be accepted at Ryerson? I suggest you contact the Ryerson's registrar's office and the department for computer engineer for what they will accept for their program first.

The Canadian education system is not the same as the US. It is NOT common for students to transfer from a community college to 4 year universities. And frankly, Ryerson's computer engineering program is not highly regarded even up in Canada.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:29 PM

That's true about transferring. I think I will just stay at centennial for my whole college experience. Should I go for a degree or diploma/certificate program? How much difference will it make?

Old 07-20-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
That's true about transferring. I think I will just stay at centennial for my whole college experience. Should I go for a degree or diploma/certificate program? How much difference will it make?
What sort of career are you interested in?

You need to realize that in Canada there is difference between "college" and "Universities". Most Canadian colleges are trade schools, and do not offer degree programs.

A four year bachelor for a Canadian college does NOT equal a four year bachelor from a Canadian university. Especially if you plan to work in Canada, this makes a HUGE differences. Centennial is essentially a trade school, they have many good programs, especially their computer animation program, but it is NOT the same as getting a degree from a university. Ryersons' computer engineering program isn't well regarded, but you are still better off getting a degree from there then Centennial.

Even if you return to the US to work..I am not sure the degree from Centennial will be recognized as one. The big high tech companies do check as part of the background check to see if foreign degrees are equivalent to a US one. It's not a big deal from Canadian universities..they are equivalent...but I am not sure for Canadian colleges.

People will disagree with me, but a computer/IT related certification is useless for starting a career. At best you are going to get low level support/technician work with co-op experience. Advancement will be limited.

When I worked in Canada, I worked side by side as "peers" with colleagues who had 20 more years of experience. They simply could not advance in their careers because they only attended "college", and not a university.

If you want a good paying career career relating to computers in this economy, you will need a minimum of 4 year Bachelors in Computer Science or Computer/Electrical Engineering from a well respected school that has a good co-op or internship program. And DO the co-op & internships.

Last edited by gnomatic; 07-20-2011 at 06:16 PM..

Old 07-21-2011, 10:49 AM

What about these colleges with University transfer programs? I'd love to go to a university but I don't have the grades right now. :/

Old 07-21-2011, 12:56 PM

1,524 posts, read 2,669,626 times
No, not at all, unless you have loyalty to the queen, really like smoking pot or some other eccentric reason.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
What about these colleges with University transfer programs? I'd love to go to a university but I don't have the grades right now. :/
What transfer programs? Are there any? As I said before, college->University is not a common path up in Canada. I don't think there is any official procedures.
I know the community colleges are often used as a cheaper and easier path to admission to a decent university in the US. But it's simply not the case in Canada.

If you want to transfer from Centennial to a Canadian university, the university where you want to transfer to will evaluate you and your grades (secondary and any post secondary) for admission as per whatever the requires are. I think you have to be accepted first before the program you want to enter will evaluate if you get any credit for your college courses toward your university degree. You probably have to submit detail, official course descriptions of each and every course for them to evaluate in addition to your official transcripts.

If your secondary school grades are lacking, you a better off applying to a program with the lower grade requirement at the same university, and then attempting to change into the program you want later. (example, my brother didn't get into Architecture, he did a year in Arts & Science (lower grade requirements), reapply to Architecture after the first year and got admitted. His first year courses counted toward his degree as electives, but he was a freshman again).

You need to find, and talk to a Canadian academic counsellor to explore your options. My advice is based on my experience, from over a decade ago. Though I have friends and family in academia up there, and sounds like it hasn't change much.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:46 PM

1,393 posts, read 2,332,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
What transfer programs? Are there any? As I said before, college->University is not a common path up in Canada. I don't think there is any official procedures.
I know the community colleges are often used as a cheaper and easier path to admission to a decent university in the US. But it's simply not the case in Canada.
That used to be the case in Newfoundland as well, but some years ago they completely overhauled the system. Now, with the right course and program selections and assuming the achievement of a certain standard of performance, students can do their first year or two of study in the province's college system and then transfer those credits to the provincial university. Also, I know that students who graduate from some of SAIT's engineering programs can get advance standing in B.Eng. programs at universities including the University of Saskatchewan. Might Ontario have done something similar in recent years?

Last edited by maclock; 07-21-2011 at 04:12 PM..

Old 07-21-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
That used to be the case in Newfoundland as well, but some years ago they completely overhauled the system so that with the right course and program selections and assuming the achievement of a certain standard of performance, students could do the first year or two in the province's college system and then transfer those credits to the provincial university. Might Ontario have done something similar in recent years?
I doubt it..but possible for some programs. The professional engineering organizations has a very strong hold at all the Engineering schools in Canada. I don't think they will easily accept transfers & credits from non accredited programs.

That is why the OP need to talk to an academic counsellor who knows the Canadian and Ontario system best. Looks like Ontario universities still go through OUAC for admission for undergrads.

Well this might help:
Ontario College University Transfer Guide

But note in their FAQ:
7. Does the Guide include information about credit transfer for any of the applied degrees offered by the colleges?
No, you should contact the individual colleges for this information.
8. Does an agreement guarantee admission to the destination program for a student who has the prerequisites and meets the academic standards stated in the agreement or policy?
No, admission to a postsecondary institution or program is not guaranteed; it is generally on a competitive bases. Students should contact the Admissions Office of the receiving institution for details about transferability related to their particular circumstances.

Last edited by gnomatic; 07-21-2011 at 04:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto