U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 02:10 PM

10 posts, read 43,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Remember that with an income of $40-45k Cdn you would only get to keep between $26,000-31,000 after tax.

That's why it'd probably be better not to move for less than $50k/yr,
which would probably still be less than $35,000 Cdn after tax.
I highly recommend the following website to anyone in Canada or moving to Canada:

2007 Personal Tax Calculator (http://www.ey.com/GLOBAL/content.nsf/Canada/Tax_-_Calculators_-_2007_Personal_Tax - broken link)

Type in your annual income and it tells you the after-tax amount in every province and territory.

At incomes under $50K, Ontario is one the best places for taxes. If you make $40k, your after-tax amount will be almost $33,000. At $35,000, you will be left with over $29k after taxes. I think a net income of $2,500 per month is probably enough for a single person in Toronto.

I don't know if the OP can afford a car, parking spot or be able to save much...again, I defer to those live there now for overall cost of living in the big city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 01:45 PM

49 posts, read 271,560 times
This thread has been very informative. Thank you.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:45 PM

23 posts, read 104,205 times
A 45K is equal to 2800-2900 per month in after tax dollars. Rent across Toronto is somewhat simillar and you can find 1 brd starting from $900 for a rental apprtment up to 2K in Downtown area. You really do not need to live in downtown, it is empty on evenings and weekends except for modest entertainment district. I would suggest you look around Yonge and Shepprd area, you can rent nice 1bdr condo with direct access to subway for about 1100-1400 / month. I think this area gives more value than downtown.

30-35K income is absurb, no one pays that little any more. I think A/R clerks make more than that these days. A decent marketing job would pay around 50-60K (at least in our company).

The cost of living in Toronto is higher than one in NY on everything except for rent. Clothing, food, cars, gas, public transport are just few to mention, parkign is not as bad as in NY, there is only one toll road in toronto, and you prob would not use it anyways.

Other than that Toronto is a great place to retire but by no means it is good for career management.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:10 PM

1,674 posts, read 3,837,235 times
Downtown Toronto is certainly not empty on evenings and weekends! It's packed with people and activity! What an unbelievable statement!

Old 09-22-2007, 07:42 PM

23 posts, read 104,205 times
One day a week on Friday night, I agreet here is a lot of things open and again everything shuts down at 2:30-3:00,
Have you ever been in DownTown on weekday.....

Old 09-25-2007, 02:44 AM

3 posts, read 14,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintsized View Post
You will find it very hard to live on that amount of money in Toronto. I make about 45,000 a year and have a hard time paying my bills at the end of the month. Condo's in most downtown parts of Toronto usually start at 200,000 and if you move outside of the downtown area (depending on how far) you start to move into a ghetto situation.

If you can afford the price of living downtown, it's a worldclass place to live. If you can't, well...let's not get into it.

I have lived in Toronto for 45 years fyi, so if you have any other questions feel free to ask me.
Hello

I currently live in Los Angeles and want to move to Toronto. I met a girl who I've been dating for a year and want to start a life together. I have visited TO about 4 times this year and I love it. I run a very succesful Insurance Business here in Los Angeles. I wanted to know if this business is good in Toronto. Further, if I can apply for a visa on my own. I do not have a job offer or want to ask my girlfriend for sponsorhsip. Can you please give me your opinion on my 2 concerns? thank you very much.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:46 PM

4,284 posts, read 14,870,167 times
The Greater Toronto Area has a population of over 4.5 million people; seems like lots of insurance prospects.

There is a licenecing requirement to sell insurance in Ontario, so you might want to check in to what certifications you would have to attain to practice.

For stand alone immigration information, the best spot to look for all the various requirements in Citizenship and Immigration Canada's web site.

Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

Old 12-15-2007, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 5,974 times
Default to buy an apartment in toronto canada

I would like to buy an apartment in toronto consists of 2bedrooms in shepperd -yonge area.
Idon not know how much does it cost, and how much I have to pay at the begining.
thank you

Old 12-15-2007, 07:20 PM

4,284 posts, read 14,870,167 times
A condo in that area isn't going to be cheap.

For a list of properties, why not try the Canadian MLS site, www.mls.ca ?

Old 12-16-2007, 08:44 PM

16,248 posts, read 22,452,131 times
First of all, you cannot just "move" to Toronto. They do have an immigration department that kind of likes it if you ASK first. Secondly $35 K to live in downtown T.O.??? You are kidding, right?? You probably cannot live in Yellowknife on 35K! But the good news is that most off of T.O. has great transportation and is safe except for the areas in and around Scarbourgh and Finch St where my wife is from. That area is being overrun by thug gangs from Jamaica and most Canadians have fled or are trying to escape that area. However there are great suburbs like Pickering and Missisauga (sp) that have really good transportation downtown and are more reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto